What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?

• 118 replies

cjfish

Re: What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
You are an incredible pessimist.  We have won every game, not covering spreads in many but that is of no significance.  Rankings are meaningless this early.  We will have a number of quality wins in the league and probably lose a couple we shouldn't but, at the end of the season, this team will have 10-12 conference wins.  And we will more than likely drive Duke crazy due to our experience and quickness. 

cjfish

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
More room to grow? What are you talking about? Rutgers they shot incredibly. Shoot like that you beat anyone. Is that the goal?
This isn’t the NBA, where just about everyone is great. They are all threats, they can all shoot.
Last year in the big east, Xavier completely played off Simon in the 1st half. Simon took and made a few 3’s. From memory he had like 12 points. The Xavier fans were outraged. Xavier won the game by something like 50.
Good coaches are going to determine who shoots. They are going to be fine with Justin Simon shooting quick 3’s, Trimble shooting 3’s in transition, and to an extent Clarke shooting 3’s.
This team gets no easy baskets.
They look the best out of a TO when they run some kind of offense. That  play usually ends in a dunk.
Did you not watch last season?

Everyone watched last season and when Lovett went down the season ended.  The entire offense was structured around Lovett at the point and Ponds off the ball.  There was no way the shorthanded team could recover from this, with incredible pressure on Ponds.  Yet we had one of the great weeks in SJU history beating Duke and Villanova, likely due to the team adjusting with Mullin's guidance..   

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »
Looks like same shit to me. What’s different? OOC last year we killed Nebraska on an incredibly great shooting night. We beat the rest of the teams we were supposed to (without really playing well). We lost to every other good team we played.

We haven't lost you buffoon. That is what's different.

We've also added a guy who was second team all-SEC and a JUCO 1st team All-American who is already better than Ahmed. And we added depth and a 6'9 center who played in a final four run. Is that enough?

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
We haven't lost you buffoon. That is what's different.

We've also added a guy who was second team all-SEC and a JUCO 1st team All-American who is already better than Ahmed. And we added depth and a 6'9 center who played in a final four run. Is that enough?
This was a great win. Almost as great as bowling green. Enjoy it! As stated numerous times. Real season starts on the 29th.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
This was a great win. Almost as great as bowling green. Enjoy it! As stated numerous times. Real season starts on the 29th.

What number of BE wins would youd say is a success?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »

Unlike you I've been thoroughly enjoying this season.

We've got nothing but hope for this year and a few years to come as I look down the roster.

I think we land Tabor and Achiuwa as well as a dynamic scoring PG to follow in Ponds' shoes.

I think we beat Duke in Cameron.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
The starting players are for the most part battled tested and have played tough competition last season.

This year’s schedule has allowed them the chance to gel as a team and work out the kinks.

When the Big East Season starts what will the adjustment period be? A few minutes, a half, to rise to the level of play against Seton Hall?

Hopefully not.
If the Big East is overall down, this team should be at an advantage since they are use to playing tougher competition in years passed. Hopefully the first half of the season worked and the team is ready to play as a team when it counts.

Keeping the unbeaten streak alive might be an extra chip that can help them.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
I think we beat Duke in Cameron.

I'm very positive too.  But this? Ain't happening.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »

Why not? They've got one guard under 6'5 and he's a freshman. You aren't covering Ponds with a 6'5 kid and he's gong to abuse a freshman.

That's got Ponds for 40 written all over it.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
What number of BE wins would youd say is a success?

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 11:37:23 PM »

I will be in NC and hopefully go to the game.  It is a possible win, we will outquick them easily and they are largely freshmen, albeit talented..  Only problem is there size but size is overrated.   

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 01:52:05 AM »
Why not? They've got one guard under 6'5 and he's a freshman. You aren't covering Ponds with a 6'5 kid and he's gong to abuse a freshman.

That's got Ponds for 40 written all over it.

"Zion train is coming our way."
                           BM

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 05:10:28 AM »

It’s a11 for me. 10 not a failure but a disappointment
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
We have to be realistic with the round robin format. Sweeping teams is hard and the bottom has never been stronger.

Any win total above 9 means sweeping.

10 is one sweep, 11 is two sweeps, 12 is three sweeps, and so on.

I'm a homer and I'll go with 12 wins with sweeps over X, SH, and DePaul.

Anything 9 and up is acceptable with a win in the Big East tournament.

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
We have to be realistic with the round robin format. Sweeping teams is hard and the bottom has never been stronger.

Just curious. If we go 9-9 in reg season, and 1-1 in BET that puts us at 22 wins assuming an L to Duke. What seed range does that put this team in?

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »

Yup that's why I said 10-8 would be considered a success in my view. Gets us squarely in and a decent seed. 12 would be best case IMO.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
Just curious. If we go 9-9 in reg season, and 1-1 in BET that puts us at 22 wins assuming an L to Duke. What seed range does that put this team in?

Nobody knows with the NET. It seems to punish teams for losing to quality opponents and reward teams for destroying bad teams. There won't be a lot of lopsided games in the Big East.

Ironically, it looks like we will be hurt by playing an overall schedule that is perhaps too strong.

My guess for 22-11 would be a ten seed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:41:50 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Nobody knows with the NET. It seems to punish teams for losing to quality opponents and reward teams for destroying bad teams.

Remember when you laughed at me for saying I'd rather be 3-2 with Marquette's schedule than 5-0 with ours, and you pointed to the NET as proof that you were right about the schedule not being weak? Who is ahead of who in the NET these days? Spoiler, it's the team with 2 losses, not the undefeated team.

Ironically, it looks like we will be hurt by playing an overall schedule that is perhaps too strong.

My guess for 22-11 would be a ten seed.

So our schedule is too strong, but we'll only get a 10 seed with 22 wins. Sure, that makes sense.

22 wins in a good conference with a not-weak OOC schedule is usually slightly better than a 10 seed, but one of those things doesn't apply to us this year so I agree with your assessment of where we'd end up with 22 wins.

Another question - is this roster better or worse than a typical 10 seed in your opinion?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:52:17 PM by goredmen »

Poison

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »

I think that gets us a play in game if we’re lucky. 9-9 in a conference with one ranked team would be a huge disappointment. Clemson, SU and Louisville could go 9-9 in the ACC and take that spot from us.

We have to earn it. Just because some people are already dancing in the streets doesn’t mean the committee will be impressed with anything we’ve done.