Game 14: Marquette

• 127 replies
Re: Game 14: Marquette
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »
I smiled when it was accurately pointed out that Lou would have (benched) a player who took a shot like Ponds at the half. That would have been true; however, IMO, Lou never had a player like Ponds who is the biggest and best game changer ever at St. Johns, at least from the late 50's forward and that includes Seiden and both Wooden Award winners and, to an extent, Artest We have had great ones but this kid is the best at almost everything. Enjoy him. They come by us every 50 years or so.

TONYD3

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
Toilet?
Actually I am in the toilet. Just finished thanks. Was kind of mad after Saturday. From my seats, the call didn’t look so bad. Thought refs were right at the time.
Terrible call. Still we shouldn’t have blown that game. Just another excuse. Had no interest in contributing to the non sense after.
Reluctantly went last night. That japenese place used to be ok. Last night sucked. Expensive and bartender made me late. Getting into that crappy place took 15 minutes.
So I arrived about 4 minutes in. Been to Carnesecca over 100 times. Usually nothing special. Found a seat a few rows behind the bench.
Best game I have been to since Lavin’s 1st year. Atmosphere was incredible. Coaches were into game, competing, and dominating.
Marquette is really good. They have great players. Our’s were clearly better. YESTERDAY they were tougher. Defensive rotations were amazing. Guys boxed out, crashed boards.
Simon- best defensive game I have witnessed in a long time. Shut down Howard. Then on next play would be locking John down in the post.
Keita- was tired of Hearing about him. He didn’t do much statistically. However love his energy and effort.
Ponds- best player by far. Wanted to guard Howard. Did good job.
Herron- played a good 1st half without scoring. Played Great second half.
Clarke- non stupid fouls. Shot great.
Trimble and Williams- competed on defense.
Negatives- a few terrible shots. Some of those allyoops need to go.
On defense - a few back door layups were too easy. Coaches saw it and I believe they will fix it.
Rutgers- we dominated just by shooting incredibly. This was a complete win. Yesterday we played like 1999. Looking forward to Saturday.

Watching game on tv now. We also moved on offense, cut to basket, and set screens. Did not look like an aau game.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:18:03 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »
From my seats, the call didn’t look so bad. Thought refs were right at the time.

What call and right about what?

Foad

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
Quote from: TONYD3 link=topic=11115.msg302510#msg302510date=1546469635
That japenese place used to be ok. Last night sucked.

What would you say is your greater area of expertise, basketball or Japanese cuisine? Post the answer on the Seton Hall board using the screen name Paper Tiger. Also, learn to spell Japanese.

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
What would you say is your greater area of expertise, basketball or Japanese cuisine? Post the answer on the Seton Hall board using the screen name Paper Tiger. Also, learn to spell Japanese.

I almost went to that Japanese hibachi place across the street for the first time the other night. The fam gets a kick out of watching drunken dear old dad guzzling the sake streams the chef shoots at you.

Ended up at our old standby, the dumpling house.

Poison

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »

Do you really think St.John’s fans should be critiquing the grammar of others?

Poison

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
I smiled when it was accurately pointed out that Lou would have (benched) a player who took a shot like Ponds at the half. That would have been true; however, IMO, Lou never had a player like Ponds who is the biggest and best game changer ever at St. Johns, at least from the late 50's forward and that includes Seiden and both Wooden Award winners and, to an extent, Artest We have had great ones but this kid is the best at almost everything. Enjoy him. They come by us every 50 years or so.

Walter Berry is the closest to unstoppable that we’ve ever had. He would have averaged 40 points per game (easily) against the lot we’ve played.

Foad

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
Do you really think St.John’s fans should be critiquing the grammar of others?

There should be a space between St. and John's.

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »

I don't think most restaurants would want Tony to be a food critic.
"You call that Miso soup? The last time I had good soup here was when Steve Lavin was coach".
"The shrimp teriyaki was really stringy and tough. Plus they didn't give me enough shrimp. Who is your chef Chris Mullin?
"Finally the place was filled with a bunch of 40 year old men. I like younger men"
"Listen this is my favorite restaurant but it is terrible. I bet every time I come here the food will be terrible. BTW someone needs to unclog the toilet, but it was like that when I went in there."

TONYD3

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »
I don't think most restaurants would want Tony to be a food critic.
"You call that Miso soup? The last time I had good soup here was when Steve Lavin was coach".
"The shrimp teriyaki was really stringy and tough. Plus they didn't give me enough shrimp. Who is your chef Chris Mullin?
"Finally the place was filled with a bunch of 40 year old men. I like younger men"
"Listen this is my favorite restaurant but it is terrible. I bet every time I come here the food will be terrible. BTW someone needs to unclog the toilet, but it was like that when I went in there."

Good one lackey. As for the rest of you, I assumed you mullintards would be happy. Your boy finally resembled a basketball coach. The team actually played 40 minutes of winning basketball. It was a wonderful surprise!
When that big east winning percentage creeps over .300, I am getting a Mullins (no apostrophe) jersey.
Not sure yet. But thinking about going Saturday. If I go I will certainly review all the places that I visit. Hope we win. If we do I will happily post, just like I did after all 13 of the previous big east wins. If we lose, I will cry the loudest that it was referees, or the cupards, or Steve lavin. Or any other silly excuse you pansies can think of.
Happy new year!
Paper 🧻 tiger out!

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
Good one lackey. As for the rest of you, I assumed you mullintards would be happy. Your boy finally resembled a basketball coach. The team actually played 40 minutes of winning basketball. It was a wonderful surprise!
When that big east winning percentage creeps over .300, I am getting a Mullins (no apostrophe) jersey.
Not sure yet. But thinking about going Saturday. If I go I will certainly review all the places that I visit. Hope we win. If we do I will happily post, just like I did after all 13 of the previous big east wins. If we lose, I will cry the loudest that it was referees, or the cupards, or Steve lavin. Or any other silly excuse you pansies can think of.
Happy new year!
Paper 🧻 tiger out!

You assumed many ST. John's basketball fans would be happy that team is 13-1 (s/b 14-0)
and just beat the 16th ranked team in the country? Wow that is pretty profound. Someone help you with that one or came up with it all by yourself?   

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:31 PM »
Happy new year!
Paper 🧻 tiger out!

Do you really enjoy being the villain on the forum of a program that hasn't won a tournament game in a season that started this millennium?
C'mon man, enjoy the season and knock off the heel act.

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »
Do you really enjoy being the villain on the forum of a program that hasn't won a tournament game in a season that started this millennium?
C'mon man, enjoy the season and knock off the heel act.

See one of the reasons Baldi never bothered me back in the day was you could see right through the fact that he wasn't a fan. Plus he was at least entertaining. I don't think Tony is doing a poor man's Baldi. I think he is just miserable.

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
I’m a big fan of “that Coach who just led the team to their most important victory in probably 18 years still sucks because of all those other games he lost” thing.

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
See one of the reasons Baldi never bothered me back in the day was you could see right through the fact that he wasn't a fan. Plus he was at least entertaining. I don't think Tony is doing a poor man's Baldi. I think he is just miserable.

Had my Marquette hat on at the game. Off topic,  who's the idiot who designed the parking lot at St Johns? Tiny spaces with tree islands taking up 1/3 of the spot
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:32:07 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
Had my Marquette hat on at the game. Off topic,  who's the idiot who designed the parking lot at St Johns? Tiny spaces with tree islands taking up 1/3 of the spot

I think you should take Tony under your wings. Teach him the proper way to annoy a fan base

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
I think you should take Tony under your wings. Teach him the proper way to annoy a fan base

There is only 1 Baldi. Be thankful

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »

He comes off as a very sad and miserable person.

I'm not the biggest fan of what Mullin did the first three years philosophically but he would have had us in the tournament year 3 if Lovett didn't do what he did. A 6 seed is in play year 4...both of those things are a miracle. M

And we have Figueroa for  2 1/2 and Williams for 3 1/2 more seasons and Tabor on board. The train doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon.

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
He comes off as a very sad and miserable person.

I'm not the biggest fan of what Mullin did the first three years philosophically but he would have had us in the tournament year 3 if Lovett didn't do what he did. A 6 seed is in play year 4...both of those things are a miracle. M

And we have Figueroa for  2 1/2 and Williams for 3 1/2 more seasons and Tabor on board. The train doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Agree with most of what you said.
I am a Mullin guy but I understood the criticism. Record COMBINED with the fact he really wasn't passing the eye test as a coach. If we were winning, some of the little things that were bothering some would not have been brought up. Unfortunately winning immediately was just not possible with what Mullin was left with.
I agree Lovett thing killed us and we would have made NIT at least last year if he had played  and if his status was not hanging in the air for so long.
At the end of the day a lot of the little Mullin stuff has gotten better-growing pains and we will be a tourney team this year.
The people still complaining now either have an agenda, crazy or both.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:58:49 PM by we are sju »