Alley Pond Park

• 15 replies
Alley Pond Park
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
We've scored on more Alley oop plays this season then the rest of the conference and the Flint Tropics combined.

We're Phi Slamma Jamma.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:03:21 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Alley Pond Park
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
Even better news is that number should go up next year with LJ and Simon more comfortable and Williams getting more minutes.

SJUFAN

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
Even better news is that number should go up next year with LJ and Simon more comfortable and Williams getting more minutes.
Next years team will have a completely different look with Clark gone. His presence at the 5 spot does wonders for spacing.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Next years team will have a completely different look with Clark gone. His presence at the 5 spot does wonders for spacing.

So true. It is only looking better and better. Clark at the 5 was never a worry of mine, just Clark being our only 5.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »

Marillac catches much grief for advocating smaller lineups...until they start to work out.

Govan was sucking wind yesterday.  Big men that can hurt us in the paint can't run at the pace we push.  We had so many 5 on 4 opportunities.  This team rebounds and pushes as well as a team that plays a 2-3.

Same thing happened in the SH-Maryland game.  Bruno Fernando was eating them alive in the first half and did nothing in the second when he was sucking wind.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:14 PM »
We've scored on more Alley oop plays this season then the rest of the conference and the Flint Tropics combined.

We're Phi Slamma Jamma.

The back screen lob is deadly.  Nobody has come close to defending it.  We've got 5 guys that can throw the lob and 4 guys that can throw it down. 

What throws guys off is Ponds is the guy who dishes to the lobber and all eyes go to him since he an kill you from any spot on the floor.  Next thing you know you've got Keita or Clark bodying you and Simon or LJ soaring over where you should be for the stuff. I could see that becoming a three-point play later in the year.

And if they really want to get cute with it...the lobber is always free for a lob or pass back for an open dunk.

tnice

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Marillac catches much grief for advocating smaller lineups...until they start to work out.

Govan was sucking wind yesterday.  Big men that can hurt us in the paint can't run at the pace we push.  We had so many 5 on 4 opportunities.  This team rebounds and pushes as well as a team that plays a 2-3.

Same thing happened in the SH-Maryland game.  Bruno Fernando was eating them alive in the first half and did nothing in the second when he was sucking wind.
Marillac must not have been watching when Govan and LeBlanc werent too tired to  tune us up for 37 points and 23 boards, including 9 on the offensive glass. Govan trailing the play a couple times down the floor doesnt come close to offsetting that. Having Clark can be an advantage on O sometimes, but net-net their big guys killed us. Thankfully we have Shamorie and they dont.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
Marillac must not have been watching when Govan and LeBlanc werent too tired to  tune us up for 37 points and 23 boards, including 9 on the offensive glass. Govan trailing the play a couple times down the floor doesnt come close to offsetting that. Having Clark can be an advantage on O sometimes, but net-net their big guys killed us. Thankfully we have Shamorie and they dont.

Worth noting Govan is best big in league and their primary focus. Keita will only get more comfortableb
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

tnice

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
Worth noting Govan is best big in league and their primary focus. Keita will only get more comfortableb

Definitely. Not too many teams in the BE with talented bigs who can attack us that way, thank goodness. Will be interested to see if Nova goes to school on Patrick's gameplan and shoves it inside to Cosby-Rountree, Bey, and even Paschall. TBH, I dont expect much from Keita other than five fouls off the bench.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »

LJ, Simon, and Clark combined for 36 points, 21 boards, 12 assists, 10 steals, and 3 blocks!  And that is on the road with Clark and LJ missing several wide open threes. They were much fresher and more effective at the end of the game than the Gtown duo.

Leblanc and Govan didn't score a single point in the paint in the last 16 minutes of the game.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:50:47 PM by Marillac »

tnice

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:58 PM »
LJ, Simon, and Clark combined for 36 points, 21 boards, 12 assists, 10 steals, and 3 blocks!  And that is on the road with Clark and LJ missing several wide open threes. They were much fresher and more effective at the end of the game than the Gtown duo.

Leblanc and Govan didn't score a single point in the paint in the last 16 minutes of the game.
You said Govan was sucking wind yesterday. That was not true.

Your proof that Govan was sucking wind was that we had multiple 5 on 4's due to him trailing the play. Watched the whole second  half and OT again. He trailed exactly once, when he got caught caught deep on is own baseline. So that wasnt true either.

You posted the stats of three players, none of which proves your point or disproves mine.

You said their two bigs didnt score any points in the paint in the last 16 minutes. Lets unpack that one.
a) I'm assuming you meant the last 11 of regulation and the 5 of OT. Very clever use of time frame. Of course you neglect to mention that just before you started the clock at 11 minutes left in regulation, they had scored on six possessions in the paint in the preceding 4 minutes.
b) As anyone with an ounce of basketball IQ knows, the big fellas are at the mercy of the ballhandlers, so if the guards go away from getting the ball in the paint or ( as happened) the D collapses on the bigs, thats not a function of ineffectiveness or stamina
c) multiple times in the 16 minutes you use as your arbitrary example the D collapsed on Govan only for him to find Mosely for a WIDE OPEN three, Pickett for a weakside three, Pickett for a give and go in the lane. Govan also got fouled in the post and made two FT. So while those arent technically points in the paint, they're points scored because they were dominating us inside and we had to address it.
d) Another thing that happened in the last 16 minutes: Clark, Simon and Heron all fouled out.
e) your arbitrary "last 16 minutes" argument is ultimately meaningless because it doesnt matter when the points are scored. Their bigs dominating for 3/4 of the game allowed a team missing two starters to stay with us, and when we sold out to shut down the bigs they were able to stay in the game anyway.

So you literally couldnt have picked a worse game to say "see, I told you the small lineup would pay off" when of all the games we've played so far it hurt us the worst yesterday. Thats my only point.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:52:57 PM by tnice »

Foad

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 06:45:56 PM »
So you literally couldnt have picked a worse game to say "see, I told you the small lineup would pay off" when of all the games we've played so far it hurt us the worst yesterday

They're 15-0. Other than Michael Stephens how bad has anything hurt us the worst?

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »
You said Govan was sucking wind yesterday. That was not true.

Your proof that Govan was sucking wind was that we had multiple 5 on 4's due to him trailing the play. Watched the whole second  half and OT again. He trailed exactly once, when he got caught caught deep on is own baseline. So that wasnt true either.

You posted the stats of three players, none of which proves your point or disproves mine.

You said their two bigs didnt score any points in the paint in the last 16 minutes. Lets unpack that one.
a) I'm assuming you meant the last 11 of regulation and the 5 of OT. Very clever use of time frame. Of course you neglect to mention that just before you started the clock at 11 minutes left in regulation, they had scored on six possessions in the paint in the preceding 4 minutes.
b) As anyone with an ounce of basketball IQ knows, the big fellas are at the mercy of the ballhandlers, so if the guards go away from getting the ball in the paint or ( as happened) the D collapses on the bigs, thats not a function of ineffectiveness or stamina
c) multiple times in the 16 minutes you use as your arbitrary example the D collapsed on Govan only for him to find Mosely for a WIDE OPEN three, Pickett for a weakside three, Pickett for a give and go in the lane. Govan also got fouled in the post and made two FT. So while those arent technically points in the paint, they're points scored because they were dominating us inside and we had to address it.
d) Another thing that happened in the last 16 minutes: Clark, Simon and Heron all fouled out.
e) your arbitrary "last 16 minutes" argument is ultimately meaningless because it doesnt matter when the points are scored. Their bigs dominating for 3/4 of the game allowed a team missing two starters to stay with us, and when we sold out to shut down the bigs they were able to stay in the game anyway.

So you literally couldnt have picked a worse game to say "see, I told you the small lineup would pay off" when of all the games we've played so far it hurt us the worst yesterday. Thats my only point.

I won't read a post this long, but I'll reply to the bit I saw at first glance.

My proof of Govan sucking wind was him standing with his hands on his hips, mouth wide open, and breathing heavy. He was almost literally sucking wind.

Govan is the best big in the conference by a mile and he and his partner didn't score a single point in the paint the last SIXTEEN minutes of the game at home. And we won.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:47:01 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
By end of the season this team will be the most dangerous team nobody will want to face in early rounds. Main issue will be depth but by then Williams will be seasoned as well as Keita and they will be the difference.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
By end of the season this team will be the most dangerous team nobody will want to face in early rounds. Main issue will be depth but by then Williams will be seasoned as well as Keita and they will be the difference.

At this rate we will be heavy seed favorites for at least the first round.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
At this rate we will be heavy seed favorites for at least the first round.
Don't jinx it.