Keita’s Contributions

• 21 replies

Poison

Keita’s Contributions
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
From the little we’ve seen I’m sure most would agree that Keita looks like he’s not yet in game shape. The injury took away his opportunity to get consistent minutes in D1 ball.

Our starting 5 are carrying basically the entire load for the team. As we’ve seen in the past, that’s not sustainable. Someone will have to step up and be our 6th man.

Trimble has helped. People calling him useless IMO are being unfair. He does a lot of what our starters don’t bother to do. He gets in there to grab boards, and we need toughness inside.

Williams has had moments but he’s literally had single digit moments. Maybe he’ll continue to play more as the season wears on, but I think we’d be asking for tremendous improvement in an incredibly short time frame and that’s unlikely given the staffs track record with developing players.

So, that leaves Keita. What do we think? Is he rusty, or is this the guy we brought in?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:30:33 PM by Poison »

Marillac

Re: Keita’s Contributions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »
He looks in game shape to me. In fact, his quickness has been the best aspect of his game.

His skill level seems very lol and worse his pace of play is way too hurried.

He's really the biggest variable we have left. If he can give a solid 15-20 minutes it alllows Heron and Clark to play afgressive. We can survive if he can give 8-10.

Once Clark and Heron are in foul trouble, we become a greatly diminished team.

ras

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
I’ve been disappointed in him. Maybe it’s rust. Seems to have no post moves and little on offense, also seems to foul a lot. Former top 100 recruit. I expected more. But, if he can stay out of foul trouble and neutralize the opponents big for 15  to 20 minutes a game, he’s helpful. Like Marillac said , it takes some pressure off of Heron not having to guard a big all game and gives breathers to the starters.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:01:16 PM by ras »

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
He just seems a step slow and a bit out of place with the rest of our lineup. Most of our players are interchangeable in terms of who they can guard on defense, along with speed in the open floor, athleticism and ball handling. Keita is the only one not cut from that mold and is quite limited in what he can do on both ends.

We need his 5 fouls and a body to place between opposing bigs and the rim, but other than that I don't think it's realistic to hope for much more, from what I've seen.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
It takes some time for injured players thrust back into playing time to get back into the rhythm. Hoping it will come soon.

Also we play 5 on the perimeter so it can get a little awkward for him.

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
I think Keita can help in limited minutes as he's shown good shot block ability already. Unfortunately for him, this team's style of play doesn't really fit his game.

On offense, he's essentially lost. His offensive game is about on the same level as Chris Obekpa's was. If he's trying to do anything other than an uncontested dunk, it's not going to end well. He has no back to the basket game and while the form on his jump shot isn't awful, he still should never shoot jump shots. The 5 out offense that we play doesn't suit him at all. Futhermore, having him and Simon on the court at the same time really hurts as that gives us two guys on the floor that teams don't have to guard out to the 3 point line.

On defense he'd be good if not for the switching style of D that we run. I am a big proponent of switching all screens but with Keita on the floor opponents just throw out a token ball screen to get him to switch on the ball handler and make him guard on the perimeter which obviously isn't his strength.

I hate looking ahead to next year especially when this year should be a successful one, but going to be interesting to see if Keita and the now multiple other bigs we'll have adapt to the style of play or vice versa

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »
It takes some time for injured players thrust back into playing time to get back into the rhythm. Hoping it will come soon.

Also we play 5 on the perimeter so it can get a little awkward for him.

I’m with you on this. Seems in fine shape and moving ok but he’s just not sure where to be moving.

He needs a good confidence building game slipping a couple screens and getting baskets near the hoop.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
He’s necessary for us to reach our potential. Don’t think we’ve seen the best of him but don’t think he’ll be a huge factor either. He needs to do a much better job of switching back once he’s off the ball. Wish he wouldn’t switch onto the ball handler to begin with but that seems like the staffs plan no matter what. But once he gets off the ball he needs to switch back to the interior defender.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
I expect Keita to get better as he gets more comfortable and the body adjusts to "game speed".  If you've come back from an injury, you know it is difficult even when at glance it appears that physically you are "fine".  There is an adjustment period, and sometimes it takes long.  I played a sport in college on the D-I level and it often took me time to come back to anywhere near full strength and to play to my full ability even after I was medically cleared.  Even so, just having that big body helps this team.

I expect Williams to get better and Trimble even if he remains the status quo does some little things that help us, even if they don't show up in the box score.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 06:03:12 PM »
When keita is in the game, we are basically playing 4 on 5 on offense.  He has 0 offensive ability to score.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »
He's the worst big man in the conference.

If he can just improve to being kind of bad we can so some damage.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »
When keita is in the game, we are basically playing 4 on 5 on offense.  He has 0 offensive ability to score.

I feel same way w/ Trimble.

10 minutes, 1 rebound. No shots.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
Keita is what he is. Not as good as many of you expected. He plays good sound defense. As someone else mentioned he shouldnt be switching, EVER!
Trimble shouldn’t be playing at this level. He is the worst offensive wing we have ever had. However he plays hard. Guards his man. And boxes out.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
Keita is what he is. Not as good as many of you expected. He plays good sound defense. As someone else mentioned he shouldnt be switching, EVER!
Trimble shouldn’t be playing at this level. He is the worst offensive wing we have ever had. However he plays hard. Guards his man. And boxes out.

Trimble is nowhere near the worst offensive we’ve ever had. Norm had a dozen that were worse, and we just graduated Alibegovic. No one is bad as he was.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
Trimble is nowhere near the worst offensive we’ve ever had. Norm had a dozen that were worse, and we just graduated Alibegovic. No one is bad as he was.
I meant guard/wings. Maybe sharif Fordham. Don’t hate Trimble. He contributes. He is no amar

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
I meant guard/wings. Maybe sharif Fordham. Don’t hate Trimble. He contributes. He is no amar

You would be the only one to dislike Sharif Fordham as a player.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 04:09:28 PM »
You would be the only one to dislike Sharif Fordham as a player.

Best on ball defender in SJ history, and that includes Hatten.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
The team has a real problem defending Zion Williamson. His bulk might overwhelm Clark and/or Huron. If Keita could help, its a great plus. Unfortunately, SJU might have play zone with Keita in there.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 04:17:27 PM »
The team has a real problem defending Zion Williamson. His bulk might overwhelm Clark and/or Huron. If Keita could help, its a great plus. Unfortunately, SJU might have play zone with Keita in there.

This team has a real problem trying for the entire game. Zion Williams will eat them alive. For Christ’s sake, DePaul and Butler ate them alive.

goredmen

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »

Looking forward to Duke right now is silly. There are 2 very important games before that one. Also, expecting or even realistically hoping to win that game at this point is complete craziness. Be happy if it’s mildly competitive