Game 19: @Butler (4:30 FOX)

• 103 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 19: @Butler (4:30 FOX)
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
Did you not see LJ slam the ball down on the court. Every player every time is getting a T for that as long as the ball comes down.

I've seen warnings after plenty of those. Last 3 minutes...c'mon.

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
The refs are pigs but our guys and coach always complain I don’t see other teams do it. The Refs have no respect for Mullin.

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
The refs are pigs but our guys and coach always complain I don’t see other teams do it. The Refs have no respect for Mullin.
So do some of our fans. Was going to post at least the refs didn't cost us the game but I guess I should never underestimate some of our fans ability to complain about the officiating.

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »
I watch a lot of college ball our team Is always blaming the officials but we don’t block out the team makes stupid mistakes that’s coaching and team IQ.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
So do some of our fans. Was going to post at least the refs didn't cost us the game but I guess I should never underestimate some of our fans ability to complain about the officiating.

I've complained about refs probably 15-20x in 20 years of posting.

We seem to be on the wrong side of officiating all season.

I would think we'd be a team the league would want to protect.

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2019, 08:35:47 PM »
I've complained about refs probably 15-20x in 20 years of posting.

We seem to be on the wrong side of officiating all season.

I would think we'd be a team the league would want to protect.
Refereeing is a tough job. That said college reffing is terrible. Fans only remember and focus on the calls that go against the team that they are rooting for or betting on. I accept the refereeing will suck and choose to ignore it has I have no control over it and complaining does no good. All that said my biggest complaint would be our guys constantly getting bumped when they drive to the hoop especially Heron. Would get this call in the NBA where they protect the driver and shooter much more. The bumps usually result in our guys having to shoot the ball from much tougher angles especially on baseline drives where the backboard comes into play.

wpc77

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
Roberts must be pretty green not to be getting some run over Keita at this point. 

Who coaches the bigs? The Italian guy?

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:40 PM »
Buying out Mullin and hiring him is our budget. Again if you remember he was only getting recruits because he was getting them paid and laid.

Smh...this poster believes Rick Pitino couldn’t bring in better players than Matt A. if they are on the up and up. Welcome to planet delusional. We would be undefeated if Pitino was coaching this year and everything else was the same. Winning and charisma tends to bring in donors with low morales. There are plenty of them out there.

Mullin is the coach and he's not bad this year despite what your pre conceived notion is. 

I don’t think Mullin is a bad coach or should I say St. Jean? Idk. But can you say he’s been good? Are you holding up his ooc record this year as a badge of honor? Fine. But consider his history in league play and take a step back and realize that 7 games into a down BE year we are under 500. Is that good? That being said I believe he will finish above .500 in league play this year. Team is too good.

SJUFAN

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
Butler played very well. They hit some great shots. We missed at least 15 layupsnand wide open threes. It's not always coaching when we lose. Jesus Christ. This is why it's hard for teams to win on the road.

That ref that called the tech either needs to be let go or he needs a warning. There should be no tolerance for egos from grow men in a college game. LJ didn't do anything all game to deserve a short whistle. He was upset over a close or blown call what sense does it makes to tack on a tech to a call that went against the team? Warn him. Do it demonstrably if you have to.

We have a good team and are 3-4 to start the year. Can it turn around? Hopefully...I think he could. But it is the coaches fault that we are 3-4. That is undeniable.

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
Refereeing is a tough job. That said college reffing is terrible. Fans only remember and focus on the calls that go against the team that they are rooting for or betting on. I accept the refereeing will suck and choose to ignore it has I have no control over it and complaining does no good. All that said my biggest complaint would be our guys constantly getting bumped when they drive to the hoop especially Heron. Would get this call in the NBA where they protect the driver and shooter much more. The bumps usually result in our guys having to shoot the ball from much tougher angles especially on baseline drives where the backboard comes into play.

Refereeing is impossible. I was horrible at it, and that is why I try to refrain from judging them. There are some instances that are unacceptable to me.

Some refs have enormous egos. That is not a tech you hand out to a team down 5 with 3 minutes left. It compounded the consequence of a close to bad call and it gave our hottest and most defensively clutch player his 4th foul.

As I've posted for years, I was the regular caddy for Tim Higgins as a kid and he often had other big name NBA and college officials in his group. I've literally heard them best about hitting players and coaches they didn't like with techs. Interestingly enough, I was also horrible at caddying.

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2019, 10:04:47 PM »
We have a good team and are 3-4 to start the year. Can it turn around? Hopefully...I think he could. But it is the coaches fault that we are 3-4. That is undeniable.

I'm not happy man. That SH loss was literally the hardest loss I ever had to endure as a fan. I give the staff this whole season before casting judgment...it's only fair.

I had this game marked as a loss to start the year. This is an energy team and I just didn't see that being available today.

How many times is Heron going to get stripped or miss close to the basket? No way those are all clean. What does the kid have to do to get a call?

How many missed layups? And open threes? That's not coaching. Keita just isn't competent yet.

I think this team will peak late and win the Big East Tournament.

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2019, 10:21:45 PM »
Smh...this poster believes Rick Pitino couldn’t bring in better players than Matt A. if they are on the up and up. Welcome to planet delusional. We would be undefeated if Pitino was coaching this year and everything else was the same. Winning and charisma tends to bring in donors with low morales. There are plenty of them out there.

I don’t think Mullin is a bad coach or should I say St. Jean? Idk. But can you say he’s been good? Are you holding up his ooc record this year as a badge of honor? Fine. But consider his history in league play and take a step back and realize that 7 games into a down BE year we are under 500. Is that good? That being said I believe he will finish above .500 in league play this year. Team is too good.

Mullin and St Jean are both the coaches, both have improved tremendously from Year 1

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
Refereeing is impossible. I was horrible at it, and that is why I try to refrain from judging them. There are some instances that are unacceptable to me.

Some refs have enormous egos. That is not a tech you hand out to a team down 5 with 3 minutes left. It compounded the consequence of a close to bad call and it gave our hottest and most defensively clutch player his 4th foul.

As I've posted for years, I was the regular caddy for Tim Higgins as a kid and he often had other big name NBA and college officials in his group. I've literally heard them best about hitting players and coaches they didn't like with techs. Interestingly enough, I was also horrible at caddying.
I survived 1 day caddying at Nassau Country Club. Sent out on a loop with my buddy while in high school and we caddied for 2 lawyers.( I had a judge ) . About 15 holes in he asks me what I want to do for a living and I tell him I want to be work in finance and manage money and that #$%^ tells me I need to look for a real career and wont make it then he didnt tip me.

I walked off that day and to this day almost 30 years later I never forgot that dumb #$%^. Used it as motivation for like 10 years and even to this day I wont forget ( The irish in me harbors grudges for lifetimes )

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
I survived 1 day caddying at Nassau Country Club. Sent out on a loop with my buddy while in high school and we caddied for 2 lawyers.( I had a judge ) . About 15 holes in he asks me what I want to do for a living and I tell him I want to be work in finance and manage money and that #$%^ tells me I need to look for a real career and wont make it then he didnt tip me.

I walked off that day and to this day almost 30 years later I never forgot that dumb #$%^. Used it as motivation for like 10 years and even to this day I wont forget ( The irish in me harbors grudges for lifetimes )

Hahaha

I was part of a brawl in the caddy area between the 9th graders (my year) on my football team and the 10th graders who were the nastiest bullies of all-time. It was a full on 8 v 8. Caddies from other schools who watched were literally crying. The drunk  golfers loved it and me and some of the 9th graders became stars there after.

The funniest part is when the cops came and kicked us out none of us could drive so our groups walked and limped with black eyes and some with broken noses covered in mud and soaked with rain for miles on opposite sides of the road for what seemed like hours talking trash the whole way.

Johnny23

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 11:43:03 PM »
I hate saying it again but I've said it all along. If Chris hires a real sideline, X's and O's coach then he can have long term sustainable success here. Otherwise it will not end well. Maybe this year they just barely get into the tourney but that's the exception because they have one of the greatest players in program history. Take that player away and look how far they drop. He can easily take that money out of his $2M+ package and get someone. Whether he wants to do it or not is another story.

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »
I hate saying it again but I've said it all along. If Chris hires a real sideline, X's and O's coach then he can have long term sustainable success here. Otherwise it will not end well. Maybe this year they just barely get into the tourney but that's the exception because they have one of the greatest players in program history. Take that player away and look how far they drop. He can easily take that money out of his $2M+ package and get someone. Whether he wants to do it or not is another story.

Let's let this year play out before we start thinkng about the coaching future.

I believe this is a 3rd or 4th place finish with an appearance in the BET championship.

Johnny23

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 12:12:24 AM »
Let's let this year play out before we start thinkng about the coaching future.

I believe this is a 3rd or 4th place finish with an appearance in the BET championship.

I agree on the first part. I just honestly believe that's the missing piece. I hope you're right about the 2nd part, still doable.

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
Mullin and St Jean are both the coaches, both have improved tremendously from Year 1

Yes they have. However just like if a child began their High School career averaging 10% on their exams and by their 4th year they “improved tremendously” to receiving 50% on their exams you still have a failure. Mullin has done nothing but fail in league play since taking over. You can be proud of his improvements but I believe this program is capable of being better. I’m not writing Mullin off just yet, but I haven’t seen anything from him to date that has me feeling confident that he will be able to take this program where I believe it’s capable of going.

We are not landing the type of players that are capable of playing this type/style of basketball and enjoy sustainable success. We’ll see, hope he turns it around.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:37:46 PM by SJUFAN »

TONYD3

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
They are much better. How would you compare ALL 4 paid coaches to the top coaching staffs in the big east?