Time to go Chris & pals....

• 77 replies

Marillac

Re: Time to go Chris & pals....
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Simon wouldn't start for any team in the Big East other than us.

Who was the last perimeter player Jay Wright had that shot as poorly and was as unskilled at Simon? Good teams have skilled players. Great teams have skilled players with physical talent.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »
He recruited a bottom 4 big east team

If this team was coached by Cooley, Willard or McDermott, SJU is 18-2 right now. 

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:13 PM »
Huh?
Clark and Simon are nice players that should be coming off the bench. This team needs more talent to finish in top half of the conference

“Minimal if any at all”
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 01:47:58 PM »
Come on now.  Simon and Clark can play most anywhere in the country and get time most anywhere in the country.  On the bench, besides Keita (hopefully) and further emergence from Greg Williams, you are correct.  But don't hate on Marv and Simon.  They start for most every team in the Big East and for many, many NCAA tourney teams.

I said bench. But 2 of the guys in the starting 5 would get minimal mins if any at all on an NCAA Tournament team. Which is why they are here

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
Willard sucks and is a slimeball.  But yes Mullin & Co. should be getting more out of the group.  No one disputes that.  I'll be rooting like heck for them to right the ship tomorrow night.

If this team was coached by Cooley, Willard or McDermott, SJU is 18-2 right now. 

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »
Wasn't Simon voted a preseason all-second team selection by the coaches?

Simon wouldn't start for any team in the Big East other than us.

Who was the last perimeter player Jay Wright had that shot as poorly and was as unskilled at Simon? Good teams have skilled players. Great teams have skilled players with physical talent.

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »

If this team, with the one of the top 3 starting fives in the conference & a bench that played its best game... can’t beat a below average G-town team at home with 10 days to prepare & goes in the tank and misses the NCAA’s... it’s time for Mullin & his buddies(Richmond & St. Jean) to go. 

It’s becoming more and MORE obvious Mullin can’t coach his way out of a paper bag, Richmond is useless since he does ZERO recruiting & a 27 year old ex-NBA coach’s son, St. Jean is the one running the timeouts & drawing up the plays..🤬🙄😴... if I was the new AD I would fire all three of them & only keep Matty A around because he is the ONLY one on the staff keeping in touch & doing ANY recruiting at all.... I would give the new coach the option of keeping or firing him as well.

Let’s face it if u have TWO NBA HOF’ers on ur bench & still can’t close the deal with all but ONE five star recruit in four years.. why are they even here?... Love ya Chris, best SJU player ever but ur lazy, have NO one with any real college experience on ur staff & ur tying ur sneakers during the biggest timeout in the game yesterday.

i PRAY they turn it around for the teams sake & make me eat my words but I’m sure as Hell not counting on it..... and someone better tell Ponds he ain’t getting drafted when a 6’1 frosh EMBARASSES him in the last five minutes at MSG... and if u can’t guard him u ain’t getting anywhere near the NBA..lol

A REAL head coach would have grabbed Ponds Jersey HARD and asked him if he was really gonna let this FROSH punk him on his home floor & than told him take every shot if u have to down the stretch & only dish to wide open shooters on the wings if he drove down the lane.... but Mullin said & did NOTHING but clap his hands... this ain’t the NBA Chris u actually have to INSTRUCT these kids what to do in these situations..clapping does jack shit!

Haven’t been this embarrassed as an SJU fan since the Jarvis era.... as I’m sure many of the big money donors felt as well... turn this thing around or don’t let the door hit ur ass on the way out..😡🤨😒🤢

"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:43:32 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
For some reason we don't know how to recruit a normal, decent skilled big guy above 6'8. It's not allowed for some reason under the Mullin regime. Very bizarre as those types of kids are at mid majors all over the place but SJU can't get one. Odd.
Femi Olujobi, who averages 13 points (.622 fg) and 5 rebounds in the Big East, visited us in April and some coaches were not present.

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »
Femi Olujobi, who averages 13 points (.622 fg) and 5 rebounds in the Big East, visited us in April and some coaches were not present.

Yup. Not to mention he's from Long Island and had a career high against us at our place. Just mind boggling and depressing.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
We have good players. That's not the issue.

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
Is it just me, or is there an inverse ratio between Johnny wins and Marco and TonyD posts?

Today after they were the weak links in the Gtown loss, Garfunkel and Hammer aren't BE players. Tomorrow (proverbially), when they post big efforts in a victory, not so much.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
Please stop lumping Clark and Simon together. Yes, Clark had a bad shooting day, but he didn't take a single shot he couldnt make.  There is not a coach in the country that wouldn't take Clark. His range creates so many problems and increases spacing.

The problem is Simon gives most of that spacing back.

My issue with Simon is that he refuses to acknowledge his weaknesses. One of his two made shots was a ONE-dribble drive from outside the FT line. He maximized his strengths (length, athletic ability) and minimized his weakness (dribbling and shooting from range). Then he went back to playing like he was Kyrie. It's very frustrating. Don't stand on the perimeter...you can't do anything there as well has the other 4 guys we have. Move, cut, screen, post.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
Our top 4 of Ponds, LJ, Heron, and Clark are top 10-15 in the country. 5-9 we are probably outside the top 200.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »
Please stop lumping Clark and Simon together. Yes, Clark had a bad shooting day, but he didn't take a single shot he couldnt make.  There is not a coach in the country that wouldn't take Clark. His range creates so many problems and increases spacing.

The problem is Simon gives most of that spacing back.

My issue with Simon is that he refuses to acknowledge his weaknesses. One of his two made shots was a ONE-dribble drive from outside the FT line. He maximized his strengths (length, athletic ability) and minimized his weakness (dribbling and shooting from range). Then he went back to playing like he was Kyrie. It's very frustrating. Don't stand on the perimeter...you can't do anything there as well has the other 4 guys we have. Move, cut, screen, post.

This team needs Clark to be a man. Get to the basket, rebound, get to the free throw line etc. Drives me crazy when he stands at the 3 point line waiting

wpc77

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
This team needs Clark to be a man. Get to the basket, rebound, get to the free throw line etc. Drives me crazy when he stands at the 3 point line waiting

Sure, but that's what he is told to do.  In fact, I bet that's what he was recruited to do when he was looking to transfer.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
2 of the guys in the starting 5 would get minimal mins if any at all on an NCAA Tournament team. Which is why they are here

By here do you mean New Rochelle? Anyway both the guy you reference got minutes on NCAA teams as freshman. It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
Is it just me, or is there an inverse ratio between Johnny wins and Marco and TonyD posts

Usually it's you, in this case it's not.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »
Wasn't Simon voted a preseason all-second team selection by the coaches?

What do they know.

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 05:01:20 PM »
By here do you mean New Rochelle? Anyway both the guy you reference got minutes on NCAA teams as freshman. It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about.

Almost. If they were looking at more mins, they wouldnt be HERE
Team is doing great. 7th place is an improvement

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

Kinda weird how you always suggest that SJU players should do more of what they aren't good at. Clark's strength is clearly his 3 point shooting, he should be doing more of that and less driving considering he's not a great finisher in traffic.