Rank St. John's Best Players since Ron Artest

• 50 replies
Re: Rank St. John's Best Players since Ron Artest
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
Ponds has Mustapha Heron and LJ Figueroa. He’s not alone.

True. I like those players. Simon and Clarke too.  I didn't say he's alone. I said he's "carrying a heavier load". He's just so darn dominant.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
Hatten and Cook had very little help. Especially offensively. No one could shoot consistently.

Ponds has Mustapha Heron and LJ Figueroa. He’s not alone.

LJ has a chance to shoot up these ranks. Unreal he's shooting 53% on the season and 62% from 2pt. That's incredible for a perimeter player.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »
LJ has a chance to shoot up these ranks. Unreal he's shooting 53% on the season and 62% from 2pt. That's incredible for a perimeter player.

The best surprise I’ve ever seen as a sju fan. And I thought he was gonna be really good. But it’s crazy how good he is. Not ten guys in the league I would take over him this year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
The best surprise I’ve ever seen as a sju fan. And I thought he was gonna be really good. But it’s crazy how good he is. Not ten guys in the league I would take over him this year.

Not only his quality play but he has, at least in game, been demanding the same level from his teammates.

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »
1. Hatten
2. Ponds
3. Barkley
4. Hardy
5. Harrison

SJUFAN

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »

Barkley was a great point guard. He needed more time in college and he needed to get stronger, but there was no college guard that could contain him. Ponds is a great overall player, but no STJ player was better at making everyone around him better. That’s worth a lot. Hatten was amazing, but he was not a point guard. Glover really missed that last two years.

Barkley played both sides of the ball at a high level. It was one of the main reasons we had success against UConn because he would lock El-Amin down.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Not only his quality play but he has, at least in game, been demanding the same level from his teammates.

If everyone had his intensity and alertness, you wouldn’t need coaches.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
I love Ponds, but this season is incomplete and I can’t put him ahead of a guy who made the tournament w almost nothing, and the best pure point guard we’ve had since Jackson.

If I’m taking a one hit wonder, it’s the guy who led the BE in assists. Had Jarvis loaded up on easy games in 00-01, we would have had a chance at dancing.

1.Hatten
2.Barkley
3.Ponds
4.Bootsy
5.Cook
—————-
6.Hardy
7.Harrison
8.Kennedy
9.Brownlee
10.Glover

Finally a list w bootsy!
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
Finally a list w bootsy!

People can’t evaluate players they didn’t watch. Lotta members started with Darryl “Showtime” Hill.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »
Jason Buchanan was an underrated point guard. He was the definition of steady, but he was overshadowed by Sherm, amd other top BE guards.

Still, Buchanan and Chucky Sproling played really well in the 90-91 run we made to the elite 8. We beat the snot out Jim Jackson’s Ohio State. I wonder how often he thinks about his last game as an amateur when he’s doing color for a St.John’s game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:18:07 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
Barkley played both sides of the ball at a high level. It was one of the main reasons we had success against UConn because he would lock El-Amin down.

It’s too bad the ncaa set their sites on harassing him. Barkley and Cook in the backcourt would have been a Sweet 16 team even with Abe Keita at center.