Bench: How do we increase production?

• 33 replies

Marillac

Re: Bench: How do we increase production?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Keita's knee is 100% finally like it looked on Saturday; the bench will get a pretty good boost if so.

Also could we potentially look back at the @Providence blowout as a blessing in disguise as it unleashed MARCELLUS? We will see.

In the Providence game Earlington sealed a big after a missed free throw with one shoulder, caught a rebound and put it back with one hand...all while keeping the player sealed.

The difference in strength between a football and basketball player is wild. At the NBA combine basket players do reps of 185 (and not many of them). In football they do reps of 225.

I’d like to see him all four years.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:27:29 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
In the Providence game Earlington sealed a big after a missed free throw with one shoulder, caught a rebound and put it back with one hand...all while keeping the player sealed.

The difference in strength between a football and basketball player is wild. At the NBA combine basket players do reps of 185 (and not many of them). In football they do reps of 225.

I’d like to see him all four years.

Who do you think could do more reps, Reid Travis or Evan Engrem? ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
bumping this thread after the bench production in Seton Hall game. Are these guys finally turning the corner? Is the staff trusting bench more? Or pump the brakes?

I wonder if getting the bench involved has been them earning it in practice or deciding the starters were getting gassed. Earlington has looked way different than he did early on this season, tho that was a SSS

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
I wonder if getting the bench involved has been them earning it in practice or deciding the starters were getting gassed. 

I chalk it up to brilliant coaching and player development.

Instead of rushing freshmen into the fray that weren't ready for it, leading to confidence crushing outings for them and losses for us, Mullin has intelligently and patiently waited until the precisely correct end of the conference season moment to take the wraps off. We saw Saturday the plan in action working to a T.  We now have them ready to assist and chomping at the bit just when we need them the most - the everyday BE conference format.

Same goes for his handling of the Don't call me dishonest Abe knee injury.  He was given the ample, proper time to rest then was brought along gradually.  Now Saturday, with the knee brace off for the first time, Chris took the shackles off and Sedee responded with his biggest game in both production and minutes.  All systems go now with him for the post season.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

I’d bet my life that Engram would destroy him.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »

Turns out we don’t have to wonder: 

Engram did 19 reps at the NFL combine. And Travis did the most reps of anyone attending UK combine at 18. But the plot thickens Mase because the UK pro day was reps at just 185!

Context:  9th grade Marillac did 20 reps of 185 and wasn’t even top 5 in his grade.

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »

Engram did 19 reps at the NFL combine. And Travis did the most reps of anyone attending UK combine at 18. But the plot thickens Mase because the UK pro day was reps at just 185!

Context:  9th grade Marillac did 20 reps of 185 and wasn’t even top 5 in his grade.

Considering your wager I’m happy you’re right. But a conspiracy theory unfolds as Reid surpassed second place Nic Richards at 17 reps and decided to call it quits, who truly knows how many he would have completed that day??? But seriously nice find on the numbers, my more overall point was that football players aren’t so much stronger than basketball but that stronger kids tend to play football. Of course the longer you go the more one sport stresses strength over the other.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:46:13 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
Earlington really must be working hard. Though the looked awfull in the beginning of the year. Looked good Sat. Pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »

This message turned into everything I'd hope it would be
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 12:48:32 AM »
What I saw on Saturday night gave me hope that we could go to the conference finals.

Williams, Roberts and especially Earlington really gave us a boost defensively against the Hall. They came in to play defense, and it showed. Good for them. Their roles can all grow.

In addition this was the first game I could watch Keita play without wondering what he was thinking on almost every play. Hopefully, he’s starting to learn how to work with the other guys, and he’s remembering where he should be on the court.

And Trimble can do a lot of things well for us. We’ll need his toughness on Thursday. It’s been on display since Bowling Green.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:08:02 AM by Poison »

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 03:08:12 AM »
Earlington really must be working hard. Though the looked awfull in the beginning of the year. Looked good Sat. Pleasantly surprised.

I thought he was transferring out to play football?

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
I thought he was transferring out to play football?

Still wouldn't be surprised if he did
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
Still wouldn't be surprised if he did

Me neither but he might as well push some smaller guys around while he’s here.

The dude moves strangely but he’s pretty quick for his size.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
Considering your wager I’m happy you’re right. But a conspiracy theory unfolds as Reid surpassed second place Nic Richards at 17 reps and decided to call it quits, who truly knows how many he would have completed that day??? But seriously nice find on the numbers, my more overall point was that football players aren’t so much stronger than basketball but that stronger kids tend to play football. Of course the longer you go the more one sport stresses strength over the other.

I worked out with the players at St. John’s multiple times and was blown away by how weak they were in the weight room compared to my high school and college teammates. Monsters like Glover lifting 155 for ten reps. I would have been embarrassed to warm up with that in JV. Most basketball forwards have big arms too. It’s weird. And the squats? Woman level.

To be fair, basketball players tend to have longer arms and smaller chests so they have to lift a few more inches.