LJ and Mustapha

• 9 replies
LJ and Mustapha
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
I think these guys are deserving of their own thread. Both have stepped up in a big way. Playing very energetic and confident right now.

LJ's performance yesterday of 22 and 12 is one of the best individual performances I can remember.

Heron was also extremely clutch shooting and getting to the rim.

Both play a pivotal role in how far this team can go in March. So happy they are both Johnnies.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

wpc77

Re: LJ and Mustapha
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
Yes, on both sides of the ball too.  They have been consistent on each end for several games now.  We are hard to beat when that happens.  LJ looked uninterested and tired during the DePaul loss.  I thought that was a very bad sign as I expected him to step up with Ponds out.  Not sure what or who motivated him after that but it worked. 

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
If I’m Mullin I’d ask the ref to call LJ for a technical in warmups for dunking then sit back and watch 48 and 24 performance.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:54:30 PM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
This win was even more gratifying because it showed how good we can be if Ponds isn’t forced to do everything.

LJ was a leader last night. So was Heron. And credit to Ponds for not continuing to force shots when he saw they weren’t falling.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
LJ plays with a sense of urgency I have not seen in a long time.

Heron is finishing up the year quite well.

Glad to have them both.  Without them we'd be hurting.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
Not sure what happened in that time off during the Providence game where he didn't play, but Mustapha has been a completely different player. He's been the Moose we expected since he got here. He's been so instrumental in our success, and the aggressiveness has been very much needed. LJ, what can be said, he's just a tough player, who likes to hype up the team and crowd through his play. He can be erratic at times, but he's been clutch on both sides of the ball.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
Both players play with considerable vigor on defense. LJ has a near unstoppable quick release on his jump shot. Heron has perfect form on the foul line. If Ponds plays the 2 guard, he gets the ball from Simon and can shot, drive, or pass to an open LJ or Heron.

redslope

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »
Both guys got their recognition from BE today and well deserved.  They have been a pleasure to watch all year.  The Heron of late is who we all were hoping for.  He knew his 3 PT shooting was lacking and he has really improved it this year.  Figgy  is incredibly quick as seen on the break, on missed shots that he puts back and on steals.  He and Heron are perfect complimentary players on our transition offense as both can go inside or hit from the wing.  Let's hope that the experience obtained to date will only continue to grow.

Heron is a smooth player while Figgy is a highlight reel.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:38 AM »
Two dudes who know how to (Moose) and will do anything to (LJ) win.

Love em.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
LJ is the type of player that you can insert in any basketball scenario; whether its in the final 4 against Kentucky or a meaningless preseason game vs loyola-md, LJ just plays the game hard. Doesnt have the most talent, but understands his limitations and cashes in on the things he does well.

Heron is just a good basketball player. Whoever is responsible for teaching him the game deserves a lot of credit. Near perfect jump shooting form; rarely shoots off balance. Great footwork, especially in the post. Great basketball body, too.

These two were exactly what this team needed in '18/'19.