Game 29: Xavier 630P (FS1, 570 AM)

• 138 replies
Re: Game 29: Xavier 630P (FS1, 570 AM)
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Ponds often try’s to avoid contact to get off his shot on drives, that doesn’t do him any favors. Body bumping, although a foul, is called significantly less than reaching fouls. Coaches coach this. Villanova is very good at moving their feet yet bodying the lower portion of the offensive player. Very effective technique. Coaches coach their players to swipe up to the ball intead of down because it doesn’t appear to look like a foul.

We grab, swipe, hit offensive players on the arm all the time, it’s pitiful how bad we are. If as a staff, you know that hitting a players arm will result in a foul call 95% of the time, yet a body bump will be called 40%, how should you be coaching your team to play defense?

The team isn’t being taught proper defensive techniques that will help avoid these FT disparities. I place blame on the staff instead of placing the blame on the refs.

Sorry.  A difference over 50, over two home games with this one ref, is too much.

Justifying the call or non-call of a foul by what "type" of contact it is, is really pitiful, IMO.  You can't take the refs off the hook for that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:56:23 PM by sju61982 »

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2019, 01:04:14 PM »
Ponds often try’s to avoid contact to get off his shot on drives, that doesn’t do him any favors. Body bumping, although a foul, is called significantly less than reaching fouls. Coaches coach this. Villanova is very good at moving their feet yet bodying the lower portion of the offensive player. Very effective technique. Coaches coach their players to swipe up to the ball intead of down because it doesn’t appear to look like a foul.

We grab, swipe, hit offensive players on the arm all the time, it’s pitiful how bad we are. If as a staff, you know that hitting a players arm will result in a foul call 95% of the time, yet a body bump will be called 40%, how should you be coaching your team to play defense?

The team isn’t being taught proper defensive techniques that will help avoid these FT disparities. I place blame on the staff instead of placing the blame on the refs.

Quite the opposite, Ponds looks to draw contact. I am not disagreeing with you that we foul often. We are getting screwed on the other end. Last nights game was a physical battle. Did they deserve to shoot 30 free throws? Perhaps. Did they deserve to shoot 6 times as many as us? No, and anyone who watched the game should be able to point that out without making this a staff issue.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
Sorry.  A difference over 50, over two home games with this one ref, is too much.

Justifying the call or non-call of a foul by what "type" of contact it is, is really pitiful, IMO.  You can't take the refs off the hook for that.

I am very confident that this "kid' thinks he's getting on the good side of Stu Jackson like the younger, wilder members of some rap entourages look for points by beating guys up. 

There is no doubt Mullin and our players have come up in conference calls and/or meeting of league officials with some very negative comments.  That's just how the world works. Stu Jackson seems like a p.o.s. and he should be ousted for that cover up.

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Quite the opposite, Ponds looks to draw contact. I am not disagreeing with you that we foul often. We are getting screwed on the other end. Last nights game was a physical battle. Did they deserve to shoot 30 free throws? Perhaps. Did they deserve to shoot 6 times as many as us? No, and anyone who watched the game should be able to point that out without making this a staff issue.

This is it. I also agree that the complaining isn’t helping the players but it’s kind of hard to stay silent when you are playing 2 opponents.

Would’ve loved to see Mullin forfeit and take the team off the court.

Also, FTR, Xavier took a higher percentage of their shots from 3.

Foad

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »

EDITED

Please do not post things about race. Consider this first and final warning that will NOT be tolerated here. -Dave
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:48:39 PM by Dave »

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
This is it. I also agree that the complaining isn’t helping the players but it’s kind of hard to stay silent when you are playing 2 opponents.

The worst non-call of the night that benefited Xavier was not even a foul (though there were plenty of those).

When it was 53-47, Xavier took a shot, and missed.  Jones got the offensive board (of course), then took at least 3 steps (maybe more) without  dribbling, then kicked out to a 3 point shooter, who made the shot.

Now, I don't care if you like Mullin, you hate Mullin, that travel has to be called there.  This was not an extra Euro step (which is bad enough).  The whole building saw that one, and the three zebras just stood there, and did nothing about it.  That was the beginning of things getting ugly between the refs and the crowd.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:14:26 PM by sju61982 »

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »

While obviously we are in agreement regarding a lot of this stuff and I’m sure you were at least being a little facetious, but if mullin or any coach took a team off the court for problems with the referee I’m not sure I could ever root for them again.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
While obviously we are in agreement regarding a lot of this stuff and I’m sure you were at least being a little facetious, but if mullin or any coach took a team off the court for problems with the referee I’m not sure I could ever root for them again.

It would be satisfying in the moment, anyway. Small potatoes but should give credit that the guys fought till the end.

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
refs and rebounds lost that game.  so many bad calls, I think allowing Shamorie to get mugged hurts more than just those fouls, because it changes his (and the team's) approach.  st. john's was mugging xavier all night too, but those were just called.  It's particularly frustrating for shamorie when he's getting bodied in the lane constantly and then he makes a clean steal and gets called for the foul.  I thought he showed tremendous composure under the circumstances. Clark makes some bad fouls, Roberts looked pretty good.

I just read a good article about donaghy - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games Would not be surprised if something more was going on here, especially with the way the refs seemed to ratchet up the calls in the second half.

SJUFAN

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »
EDITED

***** EDITED

Please do not post things about race. Consider this first and final warning. That will NOT be tolerated here.  -Dave
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:47:06 PM by Dave »

SJUFAN

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »

How many times did you believe we were fouled and didn’t get the call?

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »

Too many to count.  At least 3 or 4 times with Ponds in the first half, alone.

SJUFAN

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Too many to count.  At least 3 or 4 times with Ponds in the first half, alone.

There were a total of 2 fouls called against us in the first half. The refs were letting them play.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:38:28 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2019, 03:38:50 PM »
There were a total of 2 foul calls called against us in the first half. The refs were letting them play.

We probably got away with some in the first half, but not nearly as much as Xavier got away with in the second.

And, one of those two first half fouls was total BS.  Roberts was in the restricted area, and I think the ref thought the Xavier player would go right at him.  Instead, he stopped short, and hit the pull up J.  Since the foul had already been called, the refs had to give him the basket, plus 1.

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
61-11 in FT attempts for our opponents the last two times this guy Nathan Farrell has worked at CA.

Even if you don't like our attitudes, that's too much of a discrepancy to justify, IMO.

100% with you.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2019, 03:45:14 PM »

A LOT.

Also there were 2-3 walks by X that weren't called that led to offensive points by them. It was absurd.

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2019, 03:50:52 PM »
Simon barely grazed their big man last night, on the floor, and they called a continuation and 1.
Following possession Ponds takes it into the lane with hard contact no call.

That's a swing of upwards of 4 points. Can't have that kind of crap.

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »
Simon barely grazed their big man last night, on the floor, and they called a continuation and 1.
Following possession Ponds takes it into the lane with hard contact no call.

That's a swing of upwards of 4 points. Can't have that kind of crap.

I didn't even think Simon grazed him on that play, but I'll have to look again. Looked to me like he backed off, so as to make sure he didn't commit the foul.

I've already commented on the non-travel against Jones when it was 53-47.  I thought Phil Booth got away with some travels against us, but it was nothing like that missed call.

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »
it just seemed any momentum we had to tie the game was stopped with some absurd call. A clean block called, good D was called, kicked ball not called, etc. worst game called since SH game 1.

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
I thought just yesterday you told me you watch every game ;)

That was the only one I "missed".  I still managed to watch a couple of minutes and listened to some on the radio.  It must have been the one Ponds had his other dunk in.