Game 30: @DePaul (Noon FS1)

• 110 replies
Re: Game 30: @DePaul (Noon FS1)
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2019, 05:08:41 PM »
We lead the country in firings. When has that ever made us better?

Maybe stop hiring guys from queens college, out of the studio and guys who never coached before. That would be a good start in the right direction.

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »
Maybe stop hiring guys from queens college, out of the studio and guys who never coached before. That would be a good start in the right direction.
We believe in diversity.

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
I think that is the blueprint to beat anyone in college.

But it works especially well against a team that can't defend without fouling. And a team with no bigs.

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
We lead the country in firings. When has that ever made us better?
When we fired norm Roberts.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2019, 05:46:09 PM »
When we fired norm Roberts.

After going 6-12 with eleven juniors and a 5th-year senior.

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
My favorite part today was Mullin not giving Depaul a different look on D in second half to keep ball out of struss hands or any sort of double to make someone else beat sju.  Nope- let’s put figggy (slow) or Trimble (slower) on him and then 6’2 frosh Williams. Wait, then since none of that is working (shocking) let’s put a guy with 4 fouls on him and expect him to be as intense on D, knowing one more foul he is out of game. I don’t know about you guys, but sign me up for 2 more years of that incompetentence.

SJUFAN

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »
Basketball is not decided by starting fives.
Coaching does play a major factor.

isham

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
Mullin has no clue on how to manage a game.  When you are up by !2 run some sets and try to get to the basket.This is the only team in existence that can blow double digit leads in minutes.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »
This is certainly depressing.

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
My favorite part today was Mullin not giving Depaul a different look on D in second half to keep ball out of struss hands or any sort of double to make someone else beat sju.  Nope- let’s put figggy (slow) or Trimble (slower) on him and then 6’2 frosh Williams. Wait, then since none of that is working (shocking) let’s put a guy with 4 fouls on him and expect him to be as intense on D, knowing one more foul he is out of game. I don’t know about you guys, but sign me up for 2 more years of that incompetentence.

I guess you missed the part where 4 of our guys fouled out.  Our best two defenders had 4 fouls with 17 minutes left in the game. How do coach around that?

We were up when we were hitting our shots and we were down when we missed them. They were open shots too.  It's not rocket science. 

TONYD3

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2019, 08:06:15 PM »
This is certainly depressing.
Haven’t been that mad this year. The Xavier game upset me. Today was far from enjoyable. But in the long run better off it happened. Do you really want to watch this shit any more?
He has to hate doing this. Forget about finding an answer. They didn’t even try. Same shit. No gameplan. No adjustments.

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »
I guess you missed the part where 4 of our guys fouled out.  Our best two defenders had 4 fouls with 17 minutes left in the game. How do coach around that?

We were up when we were hitting our shots and we were down when we missed them. They were open shots too.  It's not rocket science. 

Yep that’s it, our shots weren’t falling, a big reason why we lost. Only scored 83 today, on 48 percent shooting. I guess we have to shoot 70 percent to win... Oh wait, Depaul did in second half. So I guess your right, our shots not falling vs a team that missed only 7 shots in second half was the reason why we lost.

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
Haven’t been that mad this year. The Xavier game upset me. Today was far from enjoyable. But in the long run better off it happened. Do you really want to watch this shit any more?
He has to hate doing this. Forget about finding an answer. They didn’t even try. Same shit. No gameplan. No adjustments.

Hi Tony.  I missed you.  We must be in the midst of a losing streak.

SJUFAN

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »

What does the foul situation have anything to do with the instructions the coach gives the 5 players on the floor, whoever they may be, on how they should be playing defense as a team? 

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »
Gil Scott had an Oblockpa/Owens worthy afternoon in which he incredulously fouled out of the game in 11 minutes on a day we really needed all hands on deck and he probably would've drawn the Strus matchup with Garfunkel plagued by foul trouble of his own.

One of his five fouls was a 2nd half waste of a foul. An unwise, unnecessary tech which is becoming all too typically common for our side. He got into with Jaylen Butz, firing up the reserve into an eight rebound effort in 19 minutes on an afternoon in which our best starter pulled down five. The techs woke up the drowsy Depaul squad as a 6 pt. Johnny lead quickly became a deficit and they outscored us by about 15 from that point on.

There's a lot of wisdom in the expression "let sleeping dogs lie".

TONYD3

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:40 PM »
Hi Tony.  I missed you.  We must be in the midst of a losing streak.
Carmine,
You seem like a great guy. Never wanted to be on your bad side. I know you loved this guy 35 years ago. But are you watching?

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2019, 10:34:57 PM »
Disappointing loss overall. The game was called very tight with all the fouls and as was mentioned before, any situation that prevents fluidity hurts the way we play. Seemed the foul calls were roughly even though, unlike the Xavier debacle.

I thought the first half was very good defensively but foul trouble and an unstoppable Strus did us in in the second half. It is, however, frustrating that we still can’t find offensive consistency this late in the season. LJ and Marv came out super hot and then both became passive. That can’t happen.

Season is far from over and hopefully the guys don’t think a tourney berth is guaranteed and go back at X next week with a healthy Heron.

People calling for Mullin’s job are off base as usual. There has been a clear undeniable progression and we are finally on the verge of a balanced roster, both from a skill set/position standpoint as well as player class standpoint. Let this season and next playout.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:35:31 PM by survivedc »

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2019, 10:54:19 PM »
Disappointing loss overall. The game was called very tight with all the fouls and as was mentioned before, any situation that prevents fluidity hurts the way we play. Seemed the foul calls were roughly even though, unlike the Xavier debacle.

I thought the first half was very good defensively but foul trouble and an unstoppable Strus did us in in the second half. It is, however, frustrating that we still can’t find offensive consistency this late in the season. LJ and Marv came out super hot and then both became passive. That can’t happen.

Season is far from over and hopefully the guys don’t think a tourney berth is guaranteed and go back at X next week with a healthy Heron.

People calling for Mullin’s job are off base as usual. There has been a clear undeniable progression and we are finally on the verge of a balanced roster, both from a skill set/position standpoint as well as player class standpoint. Let this season and next playout.

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »
If this wasn't a foul fest and they actually let the teams play, I think we would have won this game. But, this is the MO of this team all season. They struggle to defend without fouling, and we constantly find our key players in foul trouble early, and find our opponents shooting way more free throws than us. The game was called consistently, I just think it was poorly officiated. Way too many fouls called when they could have played on in a lot of instances.

The team doesn't adapt. You'd think in game 30 of his Sr. year, Clark would have a better idea of how to play defense without fouling. Same with Heron and Simon.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:05:07 PM by redstorm212 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »
The team doesn't adapt. You'd think in game 30 of his Sr. year, Clark would have a better idea of how to play defense without fouling. Same with Heron and Simon.

That’s the problem, it’s on the players to know how to play defense. It’s on the players to make the right play. They need to be coached. They need direction, not statements, but practice drills.