Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
I hope that our ability to rule the transfer game is not compromised.

tnice

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
Bummed on a few levels. No secret Matt is one of my best friends and sad to see him go but at same time I'm happy for him and professionally I think its a smart career move for him.

I'd be curious to hear why you think its a smart career move for him. I cant imagine the money is dramatically better. Even when you factor in Hoiberg, he's going to a bottom dwelling Big Ten football school in the middle of nowhere. I'd imagine that if he thought SJU was on a sustained path to success, the better move professionally would be to stay put.

Uncertain whether Mullin will be extended? Did he wear out his welcome here? Looking to follow Hoiberg back to the NBA? If you can give your view without betraying personal confidences I'd be interested to hear it.

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
I'd be curious to hear why you think its a smart career move for him. I cant imagine the money is dramatically better. Even when you factor in Hoiberg, he's going to a bottom dwelling Big Ten football school in the middle of nowhere. I'd imagine that if he thought SJU was on a sustained path to success, the better move professionally would be to stay put.

Uncertain whether Mullin will be extended? Did he wear out his welcome here? Looking to follow Hoiberg back to the NBA? If you can give your view without betraying personal confidences I'd be interested to hear it.

It’s simply more stable financially, longer runway, and probably lighter burden of responsibility.

If St John’s took a major step back and Mullin resigned or was let go then what?

I also think Fred Hoiberg is excellent coach so chances of winning are greater too.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
I hope that our ability to rule the transfer game is not compromised.

Texas Tech rules the transfer game.

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
Texas Tech rules the transfer game.
Valid point.

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
Bummed on a few levels. No secret Matt is one of my best friends and sad to see him go but at same time I'm happy for him and professionally I think its a smart career move for him.

Objectively speaking for the program I think this hurts in the short term but everyone is replaceable and perhaps this frees up the way to build a better overall staff that is more cohesive in everything that they do.

The next hire or hopefully 2 will be critical to Mullin's future. Can't go too young and hungry because this staff lack experience (Oddly Matt was most experienced coach on staff) and you can't go too old or has been. Need someone with something to prove that has been through this ringer before and willing to fall in line with Mullin.

it's crazy to me how disconnected it appears Matt is from the other coaches.  I mean, he's acting like a player vs a coach.  why not wait for the official SJU press release? why issue your statements to the press? why go on social media to talk share how you feel?  it's really amateurish, and frankly shows how little regard he has for the program/school/staff.  i think how this has played out, is the greatest indication of how self-absorbed he is. and honestly, fans haven't helped by saying 'he's the only one working'. just adds to his ego.

redslope

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
Reading into Matt's farewell message, he indicates that the move is a good family move.  While I don't know where his wife is from, if they met at Iowa State, the move could bring them much closer to her folks.  As to money, if he was to get a "push" as to salary, it would go a lot further in Lincoln than NYC.  (house in Lincoln vs. apartment in NYC).  He also has a long relationship with Fred who obviously believes in Matt and he may no longer be 3rd assistant but be making a step up and closer to a HC job down the road.  Don't forget that Looie was NOT on the BB team at SJU but was a manager when in school, like Matt. 

Good luck to a fellow alumnus, you will be missed.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

Hoiberg has a 7-year deal. Our fans already have the torches lit and pitchforks sharpened for Mullin.

I’m sure he’ll make at least 20% more there and that kind of money goes so much further in Lincoln than NYC.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »

it's crazy to me how disconnected it appears Matt is from the other coaches.  I mean, he's acting like a player vs a coach.  why not wait for the official SJU press release? why issue your statements to the press? why go on social media to talk share how you feel?  it's really amateurish, and frankly shows how little regard he has for the program/school/staff.  i think how this has played out, is the greatest indication of how self-absorbed he is. and honestly, fans haven't helped by saying 'he's the only one working'. just adds to his ego.

He’s a narcissist. Hasn’t that been clear from day one?

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
Zach reporting its official. Matt’s gone.

In related news, let’s see how Zach covers the program from here on out now that his buddy is gone. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets no info from anybody inside the program now and completely turns on them as a result. That’s something that POS would do.

I’ve never liked you more.

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
Reading into Matt's farewell message, he indicates that the move is a good family move.  While I don't know where his wife is from, if they met at Iowa State, the move could bring them much closer to her folks.  As to money, if he was to get a "push" as to salary, it would go a lot further in Lincoln than NYC.  (house in Lincoln vs. apartment in NYC).  He also has a long relationship with Fred who obviously believes in Matt and he may no longer be 3rd assistant but be making a step up and closer to a HC job down the road.  Don't forget that Looie was NOT on the BB team at SJU but was a manager when in school, like Matt. 

Good luck to a fellow alumnus, you will be missed.

He did the same when he left Iowa State for sju, was it a problem then?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »
He did the same when he left Iowa State for sju, was it a problem then?

he went to the press and issued his own statement on social media,  before the school said anything officially? if he did do that with Iowa, it's still amateurish and further confirms the type of person he is....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:51:45 PM by redmen4life »

goredmen

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
I’ve never liked you more.

Something about the enemy of my enemy... I forget the rest

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
If this guy can win at Binghamton - he's got to be great.

Hsu is really a terrible person to have associated with your program.. I was at Binghamton when the scandal hit and during the aftermath it was clear Hsu was one of the coaches that was heavily involved.  You can read the Kaye Report put out detailing his involvement and it involved writing a player’s paper and giving some gas money, and this was at the America East level.

This was a post on the binghamton forum from 10 years ago, highlighting the type of person he is to be involved with your program:

“ As best I can tell, here's the Marc Hsu timeline for the last 18 months or so.

2006-07 season -- Head coach at Laurinburg Institute

May/June 2007 -- Speculation on the Charlotte Board that Marc Hsu is pimping Sean Carter around as a package deal. Carter will play for your school if you hire Hsu as an assistant coach

July 2, 2007 -- Carter signs with Oregon State.

July 22, 2007 -- Casey Mitchell -- one of Hsu's players at Laurinburg player has an article written about him attending Chipola JC that mentions Hsu as still being coach at Laurinburg.

July 26, 2007 -- A story posted to the Michigan State bulletin board calls him an assistant coach at Chipola

August 2007 -- Marc Hsu is hired as an assistant coach at Oregon State.

2007-08 season -- Oregon State compiles one of the worst BCS conference basketball records in recent history.

January 2008 -- OSU coach Jay John is fired mid-season.

End of season 2008 -- Sean Carter announces intention to transfer.

End of season 2008 -- Marc Hsu unemployed.

June 2008 -- Fox Sports blog reports Hsu hired at Binghamton. No announcement from school

July 2008 -- "No contact" period for coaches.

August 2008 -- End of "no contact" period.

Binghamton announces that they have hired Marc Hsu.

Yep, you can count me as one proud alum today.”

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
Just another disappointment to this disappointing coaching regime. What makes this he biggest disappointment of all is that these are alumni that are letting the program down.

These were the people that We’re going to stop at nothing to make SJU great again...That’s what the President and SJU fan base thought or were sold on.

Instead this feels like a hobby for our head coach, and a stepping stone for our departing Assistant coach. There’s family, and opportunity reasons/excuses, but at the end of the day it wasn’t  about the program, it was about something else. This staff has been disjointed and unorganized for too long.

Hard to say that Matt A. left this program better than he found it.
It’s hard to argue that Lavin couldn’t do any better in recruiting and coaching. Maybe Mullin can turn it around, and this can be a reboot for him and this program. Is his heart really into this?

Right now this program feels like a sinking ship and if you have the means to escape, you better take it.
Cougar O' Malley

pmg911

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
I love the idea of hiring Derrick Phelps but I don't know enough about him as a coach to really say it's a good idea.

pmg911

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »
I was not a fan of Matt A from the beginning, I always said I thought it was not a good hire. I still believe the program would have been much better off had they stuck with Barry.

That said, thank you for delivering some solid players to the school...

BUT, I just read his farewell message on Twitter and my immediate take is that it's ALL about him. Lots "I" &  "my" and not a single "thank you" to anyone anywhere...   WOW

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »
Who is Geno Ford and is he any good at coaching?

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Maybe Mullin is stepping away

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
Maybe Mullin is stepping away

Dangelo Harrison would be my pick to replace him, too bad he ended his collegiate career at Baylor.