Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

goredmen

Assistant Coaches
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
Yes, I know we have talked about assistant coaches on these boards far more than any other program in the country, but there is absolutely no way this current staff should and will be the same going into next season. Even if Matt chooses to stay (which I think is doubtful), changes need to be made.

Will be interesting to see which staffs get completely wiped out with a HC firing and who will be available that would be a good fit. We know Rasheen Davis is available and would be a good replacement or complement for Matt.

On another note:

Zach:
Hearing a prestigious prep school in Connecticut has pursued and offered coach Joe Arbitello of Christ the King it’s head coaching position. Also a few Division I schools have asked if he has interest in moving up.

Arbs has accomplished everything he can at CTK so no reason for him to stick around. Arbitello retweeted a guy telling him to stick in Queens with SJU but I don't think he'd get called up to the BE right away. Wouldn't be surprised to see him land at a place like Iona for as his first stop in D1

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
I went to CK and then I worked for Arbs at the charter school inside CK for a year and I don't think he'd go to Connecticut his wife works at CK as a teacher as well and he has small children. Iona could work though for sure, great guy great coach.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:16:45 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »

On another note:

Zach:
Hearing a prestigious prep school in Connecticut has pursued and offered coach Joe Arbitello of Christ the King it’s head coaching position. Also a few Division I schools have asked if he has interest in moving up.

Allow me to translate:  “While breathing exclusively out of my mouth and intermittently taking shots of nasal spray and sending rumors to a Redmen.com member with a lot of ‘sense,’ I was talking trash about Mullin with Arbitello and he bragged about several purported offers he’s received that he  would charitably decline if St. John’s would just offer him.”
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:06:39 AM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
If you're just talking about a recruiter then I suppose the CTK coach would be an option. However there's plenty of other options out there.

They need ass't coaches with real college experience. No more Richmonds and St. Jeans. That's a waste of two spots. An X's and O's ass't NEEDS to be the #1 priority if they're going to keep clueless Mullin around for next year.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
Matt likely headed to Nebraska according to JP Pelzman on Twitter

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Replacement already in the fold

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
Replacement already in the fold

can you drop any hints?

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »
can you drop any hints?

Well liked locally.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
Well liked locally.

Having lived in Seattle since I graduated in 2010, that hint does nothing for me!

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Far from connected, but everyone I've spoken to that is semi-connected to college hoops thinks that St. Jean is a really good up-and-coming young coach.  Works hard, kids love him and he is all about ball.  He is just green.  He isn't the problem; too much being asked IMO. 

You take St. Jean, a respected recruiter that can actually help with running other aspects of the program, and get a veteran HC/Whitesell type in the mix, sliding Mitch to special advisor or whatever.

If you're just talking about a recruiter then I suppose the CTK coach would be an option. However there's plenty of other options out there.

They need ass't coaches with real college experience. No more Richmonds and St. Jeans. That's a waste of two spots. An X's and O's ass't NEEDS to be the #1 priority if they're going to keep clueless Mullin around for next year.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
Far from connected, but everyone I've spoken to that is semi-connected to college hoops thinks that St. Jean is a really good up-and-coming young coach.  Works hard, kids love him and he is all about ball.  He is just green.  He isn't the problem; too much being asked IMO. 

You take St. Jean, a respected recruiter that can actually help with running other aspects of the program, and get a veteran HC/Whitesell type in the mix, sliding Mitch to special advisor or whatever.

I think that is pretty spot on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »
I think that is pretty spot on.

100% agree.

I think people 'blame' St Jean bc he's so visible in game. If I compare that to Dunlap, Dunlap was in Lavin's ear, subtly, but you could tell he was coaching Lavin throughout the game, but to fans it was Lavin in control....

I've always craved a young hungry coach for St. John's.  I always wanted our version of Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart.  I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but if Mullin is ever to leave in the next year or two, I'd hand St Jean the keys with the mandate to hire experienced coaches.... 

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 05:38:26 PM »

Saw Whitesell is the interim HC up in Buffalo. I agree though, St Jean seems to have some creative out of bounds plays. Would love for him to stay around, you know he is hungry and wants to run a program sometime.

Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
I will feel better about the direction of the program if they shake up the assistant situation.  Unfortunately there will possibly be short-term issues since a lot of the guys Matt A brought in might decommit.

QuanMan

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
It's actually a good time for the program for Abs to move on. Every incoming 2019 player at this juncture is already tied in via transfer or JUCO. We have one void at this point and time that ideally gets filled by Precious and MA wouldn't of had any influence there to begin with. If Cragg and Mullin hire a recruiting wiz with connections maybe we can pickup a Top100 type for the Spring Signing Period.

2020 is barren anyways if you take Tabor decommitting on his verbal.

The pendulum could swing our way with the right hire. The transfer/JUCO route has become pretty tiresome. I welcome a new recruiter. Hopefully he has NY ties and can actually recruit a couple of HS kids.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
So help me if the experienced former Head Coach with local ties that we are apparently closing in on is Tom Pecora...

QuanMan

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Well liked locally.

Some guesses:

HS:

Oz Cross- New Heights (worked for Norm)
Chris Chavannes- St. Pat's
John Buck- LUHI
Munch Williams- TEAM SCAN
Mike 'Maniac' Rice- TEAM RIO

College:

Antigua (Illinois)

Others:

Arbitello (sigh)
Pecora    (sigh)

Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
Some guesses:

HS:

Oz Cross- New Heights (worked for Norm)
Chris Chavannes- St. Pat's
John Buck- LUHI
Munch Williams- TEAM SCAN
Mike 'Maniac' Rice- TEAM RIO

College:

Antigua (Illinois)

Others:

Arbitello (sigh)
Pecora    (sigh)

Antigua would be interesting. He's been poaching talent from NY to go to Illinois, one of them being Cockburn. He also got Griffin from Stepinac and there are two other Stepinac kids that are legit prospects. That would be one of the best possible replacements IMO.

Pecora has been Associate Head Coach at Quinnipiac the past two years. The only upside to bringing him on is maybe Jay Wright won't want to kick our dicks in as bad if his buddy Pecora is on our bench.

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 01:02:55 AM »
I will feel better about the direction of the program if they shake up the assistant situation.  Unfortunately there will possibly be short-term issues since a lot of the guys Matt A brought in might decommit.

Who is going to decommit ? Mack? You think he cares if Matt A is headed elsewhere? I assure you he won't. He will be the starting PG in NYC at MSG.... that's what he cares about.