Can Mullin take the next step?

• 103 replies

Marillac

Re: Can Mullin take the next step?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
Like who? Who’s leaving? Or are you just throwing things out there as usual?

Baldi’s boy might be coming and that would be a huge upgrade.

Johnny23

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »
Making the NCAA tourney is a mirage because next year they are bound to take a significant step backwards.

If they barely made the tourney this year (the way they did) and used that as a building block towards more success for years to come that would be one thing.

However only the homerest of homers can say honestly that this team will be improved next year. As currently constructed that is a flat out lie.

Mullin does not know how to coach. He does not know how to formulate nor execute an organized, effective system on offense or defense.

I saw that after watching the first game of the season this year. Most other teams in the BE run circles around SJU because they have effective coaching.

I'd much rather start fresh with a coach who has experience at the college level and has shown he can win rather consistently.

The other alternative is for Mullin to add some really good ass't coaches to the staff. However I just don't see this happening. He doesn't seem like his ego will allow him to get rid of his cronies a la Richmond and Boy Wonder bread.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
Making the NCAA tourney is a mirage because next year they are bound to take a significant step backwards.

If they barely made the tourney this year (the way they did) and used that as a building block towards more success for years to come that would be one thing.

However only the homerest of homers can say honestly that this team will be improved next year. As currently constructed that is a flat out lie.

Mullin does not know how to coach. He does not know how to formulate nor execute an organized, effective system on offense or defense.

I saw that after watching the first game of the season this year. Most other teams in the BE run circles around SJU because they have effective coaching.

I'd much rather start fresh with a coach who has experience at the college level and has shown he can win rather consistently.

The other alternative is for Mullin to add some really good ass't coaches to the staff. However I just don't see this happening. He doesn't seem like his ego will allow him to get rid of his cronies a la Richmond and Boy Wonder bread.

We had a slow-footed 6’7 jump shooter playing center and a kid who can’t catch the basketball backing him up. How can we possibly get worse at the 4 and 5 with Steere and a soph Roberts + Manuel or another transfer?

If Heron and Simon return with LJ would we not be better at the 2 and 3? Would the depth, athletic ability, and defense not be better with Wright and a soph Williams?

This team could easily be much better if they retain some key guys and add a PG and big man.

Johnny23

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
We had a slow-footed 6’7 jump shooter playing center and a kid who can’t catch the basketball backing him up. How can we possibly get worse at the 4 and 5 with Steere and a soph Roberts + Manuel or another transfer?

If Heron and Simon return with LJ would we not be better at the 2 and 3? Would the depth, athletic ability, and defense not be better with Wright and a soph Williams?

This team could easily be much better if they retain some key guys and add a PG and big man.

We cannot be easily better next year. You are projecting and not basing it on recent historical performance a la 2018-19.

Mullin can't coach. It doesn't matter what talent we have when the players have no coaching.

We already saw how good we could be with the best player this school has had in more than 15 years. And what did that yield us? The 68th place in the tourney and an embarrassing exit.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Complaining or making fair points that are disturbing to the Mullin die hards? 

I'm a Mullin die hard and nothing you say is disturbing.

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
Most other teams in the BE run circles around SJU because they have effective coaching.

He was 9 - 9, er excuse me 8 - 10, and 3 - 1 against the two best teams in the league.

Why can't the anti-mullin camp formulate a good case against the legend without resorting to out right lies?

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »
We cannot be easily better next year. You are projecting and not basing it on recent historical performance a la 2018-19.

Mullin can't coach. It doesn't matter what talent we have when the players have no coaching.

We already saw how good we could be with the best player this school has had in more than 15 years. And what did that yield us? The 68th place in the tourney and an embarrassing exit.

I’m not basing it on anything? Historical performance?

8>14>16>21 is the # of wins Mullin and staff have achieved in four years. Is that historical enough for you?

What are you basing your prediction on other than emotion and negativity?

We couldn’t have been worse at the 4 and 5. We couldn’t have been worse on the boards. We couldn’t have had a worse bench or second ball-handler.

There are plenty of scenarios in which we are a better team.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 08:16:36 PM »
I think the team has underperformed to their capabilities but I've also seen steady improvement.

I think since 2000 every St. John's coach has failed to do what is needed with their support staff. From Norm not hiring guys linked to Pinkston, Collier, etc. to Lavin not replacing Dunlap sooner. Mullin needs more experience on staff to help shape the day to day culture of the team and game prep.

The staff was fully prepared for Ponds and even Heron leaving (which isn't final) after this year. I think the balance of the roster is finally in a good spot after 10 years of imbalance.

The school needs to continue to step up to do all the little things to make this program successful.

For everyone angered and disgusted over Mullin I'm not sure what to tell you. St. John's isn't as good as you think but they're getting there. Can't jump ship.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
The staff was fully prepared for Ponds and even Heron leaving (which isn't final) after this year. I think the balance of the roster is finally in a good spot after 10 years of imbalance.

Expecting and prepared are two different things. As of now we have no idea what the roster will look like so it's way too early to say that the balance of the roster is finally in a good spot. If Heron does indeed leave and the only incoming replacements for Ponds and Heron are Cam Mack and Eli Wright then we're looking at a big step back. Also, Steere is probably an upgrade over Keita but after him the bigs are still raw. Who knows if Roberts will take a nice leap in his development this summer. Manuel is supposed to very raw as well if he's even eligible.

We'll see how the roster shakes out when all is said and done but I think it's far too early to assume that the roster balance is in the best place it's been in a decade.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Complaining or making fair points that are disturbing to the Mullin die hards? 

of course not. but saying the same thing over and over is autistic and annoying.

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
Expecting and prepared are two different things. As of now we have no idea what the roster will look like so it's way too early to say that the balance of the roster is finally in a good spot. If Heron does indeed leave and the only incoming replacements for Ponds and Heron are Cam Mack and Eli Wright then we're looking at a big step back. Also, Steere is probably an upgrade over Keita but after him the bigs are still raw. Who knows if Roberts will take a nice leap in his development this summer. Manuel is supposed to very raw as well if he's even eligible.

We'll see how the roster shakes out when all is said and done but I think it's far too early to assume that the roster balance is in the best place it's been in a decade.

Perhaps you don't know but the staff was planning and ready for this
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2019, 10:30:55 PM »

I have no doubts that the staff was fully expecting both to leave. Can you please explain what the "plan" to replace them was and is?

If it's Cam Mack and Eli Wright then that's an awful plan. They won't come close to competently replacing Ponds and Heron.

If it's securing a grad transfer or two then that is another flawed plan as it is far from guaranteed. It seems like we've had a bite on a grad transfer or two each of the past 3 seasons only for it to fall through for whatever reason.

There are no impact HS PG or SGs left on our radar. Planning for decommitments elsewhere?

So please explain what the plan is to replace those two players.

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 02:08:23 AM »
Is Heron really going to leave us to go to Europe/Asia with the last taste in the scouts mouth being the 1 for 12 nightmare he served up on the largest of all stages?

He comes back and he'll be THE star on an Ncaa tournament team.  Seems like a no brainer.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »
I have no doubts that the staff was fully expecting both to leave. Can you please explain what the "plan" to replace them was and is?

If it's Cam Mack and Eli Wright then that's an awful plan. They won't come close to competently replacing Ponds and Heron.

If it's securing a grad transfer or two then that is another flawed plan as it is far from guaranteed. It seems like we've had a bite on a grad transfer or two each of the past 3 seasons only for it to fall through for whatever reason.

There are no impact HS PG or SGs left on our radar. Planning for decommitments elsewhere?

So please explain what the plan is to replace those two players.

There was a plan, but it wasn't the best of plans.  Dave knows this, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say, he just wanna keep some dialogue going on his board.  Basically, trolling his own site.     

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »
He was 9 - 9, er excuse me 8 - 10, and 3 - 1 against the two best teams in the league.

Why can't the anti-mullin camp formulate a good case against the legend without resorting to out right lies?

He's lost a lot more in the BE than he's won. It's about the total body of work over 4 seasons which is below average, wayyy below.

Johnny23

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
I’m not basing it on anything? Historical performance?

8>14>16>21 is the # of wins Mullin and staff have achieved in four years. Is that historical enough for you?

What are you basing your prediction on other than emotion and negativity?

We couldn’t have been worse at the 4 and 5. We couldn’t have been worse on the boards. We couldn’t have had a worse bench or second ball-handler.

There are plenty of scenarios in which we are a better team.

Next year they will not come close to 22 wins if the staff doesn't change.

The guys coming in are Mehhh at best. There's a reason it's ranked one of the worst incoming classes n the BE, if not the worst.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
Why is there only 1 PG coming in? This juco guard will be expected to play 40 minutes? Or will can’t dribble Simon (if he stays) still be playing PG.
Some plan!

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »

The guys coming in are Mehhh at best. There's a reason it's ranked one of the worst incoming classes n the BE, if not the worst.

Have you ever seen these guys play?

SJUFAN

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »

He’s banking on the returning players to show the same growth as Trimble.

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
Have you ever seen these guys play?

Have you seen them play? Are you suggesting their ranking is incorrect?