Thank You Shamorie

• 14 replies
Thank You Shamorie
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
For being the kid who stayed home. For being the kid who embraced being a leader since day 1. You repped New York and St. John's to the fullest and I just want to say Thank You.

Wish Shamorie all the success in his professional career and I hope he stays close to the program for life.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvk0sT3lOT1/

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: Thank You Shamorie
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
Shamorie is one of the all time greats at St.John’s.

I hope that wherever he goes,
he’s making a great living and the people fortunate enough to get to watch him play appreciate him, too.

Man, am I gonna miss him.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
Best player I’ve got to watch at St. John’s. I look forward to tracking him in the future but god damn will he be missed.

The picture (Can’t post it here for some reason) they showed before our tourney game tells you all you need to know about the player we had. His numbers over a 3 year stretch were basically unprecedented.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »
For being the kid who stayed home. For being the kid who embraced being a leader since day 1. You repped New York and St. John's to the fullest and I just want to say Thank You.

Wish Shamorie all the success in his professional career and I hope he stays close to the program for life.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvk0sT3lOT1/

+1

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:38:11 PM »
I think his impact will be felt for years here. Most directly through Williams, but also through recruiting. He showed everyone what a star can look like at St. John’s.

3x National Player of the week. Honrable Mention All-American as a soph. 2x 1st Team All-Big East.

derk

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 02:40:23 PM »
Good luck Shamore. Thanks for uplifting the program. Good luck wherever you wind up.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
I think his impact will be felt for years here. Most directly through Williams, but also through recruiting. He showed everyone what a star can look like at St. John’s.

3x National Player of the week. Honrable Mention All-American as a soph. 2x 1st Team All-Big East.

What impact? He barely snuck into 1, yes 1, NCAA tourney play-in game. Way to set the bar low. You should expect and demand more from him and this team. Kids aren't looking to come to SJU because they saw Ponds on a subpar team for 3 years.

His legacy would be exponentially more impactful if he was part of a consistent winner. No one cares about a good player in a losing program.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
Glad he stayed home, gave us a few good years, very talented,  but that is what he was good, not great. If he came back one year, he may have been able to elevate himself to that level and take command.

I am sorry to say it, but when I think great, I think a player and leader that does not allow for a slide to that degree at the end of the season. I know we had deficiencies, but the great ones find a way. Just do not have that feeling here.

But I am thankful for him gutting it with some rough teams here and taking a chance on Mullin. Put up some nice stats, was best player on team last few years and wish him the best of luck in Europe or G-League wherever he goes. Maybe NBA surprise would be nice but I just don't see it unless Mullin is working behind the scenes to set it up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:03:20 PM by friendofjohnnie »

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
What impact? He barely snuck into 1, yes 1, NCAA tourney play-in game. Way to set the bar low. You should expect and demand more from him and this team. Kids aren't looking to come to SJU because they saw Ponds on a subpar team for 3 years.

His legacy would be exponentially more impactful if he was part of a consistent winner. No one cares about a good player in a losing program.

You seem like a cheerful, glass half-full guy.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »
Dude was so fun to watch. Led the team to a number of victories, notably last year vs Duke, maybe the happiest I’ve ever been watching a basketball game.

It’s nice to be able to look back fondly on fantastic players instead of gripe about how they weren’t really all that. What a sad state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »
Can't wait to see how he does, he was incredible to watch

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »
Way to set the bar low.

We just matched the best output of a St. John's team since the new millennium.

Posters are not setting the bar high or low.  The bar is at where it's at.

redslope

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 09:30:34 PM »
Good luck to Shamorie who will go down as one of our best.  If he returned he would have most likely have passed Mullin as all time scorer as SJU; as it is he is #5 on the all time list.  The better he does in the pros, the better it is for SJU so wish him well (and hopefully Mullin has some connections that he can utilize in helping Shamorie realize his dream).

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
i love him, good luck wherever you wind up! :up:

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 12:17:14 AM »
I can tell most people on this site don’t watch the NBA anymore. But I will give you some knowledge there is this new strategy called tanking that the NBA teams have been using for the last five years or so. These NBA teams call up a whole bunch of G-League players after the all-star break to ensure a losing season . Their starters rest with the chronic injury = load management,while taking a look at their young assets.For sure a lot of these call ups do not have the potential of Shamorie. My only concern is can his body hold up until after the all star break. It was barley holding up in college playing 33 games a year. If it does mark my word we will see Ponds suite up in the NBA! Dusty Hannahs who was solid in college is getting double digit minutes for the Grizzlies right now.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"