Hog fan and now St. Johns fan here

• 37 replies
Hog fan and now St. Johns fan here
« on: April 20, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
Hey guys, i'll try not to wear out my welcome. I was a Mike Anderson supporter and thought he should get another year. We were one of the three youngest teams in the Country this year and on the rise.

I'll post more later and getting ready to order myself a St. Johns lid that i will wear proudly whenever you play unless we meet in the Tourney.

Gonna have to get myself acclimated to some of your traditions. Are there any slogans you have or things you do when St. Johns goes on a run in the game?

Re: Hog fan and now St. Johns fan here
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
Hey guys, i'll try not to wear out my welcome. I was a Mike Anderson supporter and thought he should get another year. We were one of the three youngest teams in the Country this year and on the rise.

I'll post more later and getting ready to order myself a St. Johns lid that i will wear proudly whenever you play unless we meet in the Tourney.

Gonna have to get myself acclimated to some of your traditions. Are there any slogans you have or things you do when St. Johns goes on a run in the game?

As St. John’s fans, when ever we go on a run we collectively prepare ourselves for 0-12 spell. It has been 1 step forward and 2 steps back for sju this century. Now I’ve got a lot of hope CMA can get us passed that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Woo pig sooie! LOL

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
Hog fan in football and SEC hoops (lived in Pine Bluff as a boy).  Saw Jarvis team that was stripped of NIT title beat Anderson's UAB team at Alumni.  Soooieee, pig, pig, pig.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
Hog Fan, as far as "things we do," we have this tradition of firing our coach as soon as he makes the NCAAs. It's a quirky St. John's thing.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
Okay, back from my errands.

What i meant was we have our "Woo pig sooie" Just wondering if there's a chant or anything y'all do to get the team fired up or to help continue a run? I am seriously going to be a fan. I was elated when Mike came home to Arkansas. Nobody can question that the results weren't  what we expected from day one BUT the mess he had to clean up wasn't an overnight job. I'm one of the few that gave him a pass for the first three years. If you look at the last five, he had three NCAA Tourney appearances and an NIT Bid. where he got us allowed us to land Muss as our next head coach.

Hog fans grew impatient due to the monster that Nolan created. Nolan has been gone going on twenty years and we haven't had any success since that time. During Mike's tenure here, Noland was slowly brought back into the program and we celebrated the NC94 team. Lot's of ex players weren't coming around the program at all. Some folks didn't like the hire from the beginning and those were the ones still mad at Nolan so Mike never really had a shot with them. Short leash due to the misery Pel put us through. We were absolutely at rock bottom when Mike came in. That's why i thought he should get one more year. Knowing that we would be build around a Soph center and a bunch of Frosh, why not just fire him last year? This team got better towards the end and should've beaten Texas Tech and UK on the road but we had a couple of bad losses as well. Youth.

The biggest reason i think Mike is going to kill it here is because he's got a really good chance to put his own footprint on St. Johns basketball. Y'all are a hungry fanbase and you will really embrace what he does with young men and in the community. As Nolan Richardson often says "If you meet a person that talks bad about Mike Anderson, then there's probably something wrong with that person" He's elite as a human being. Top notch and classiest man in the game. I say that with 100 percent faith.

There will be times where you will be like "WTF was that?" but it's because he allows his teams to play the game on instinct. You will question lineups at times but if someone is not playing defense he's going to take them out. There will be Hog fans that troll on twitter that claim "Mike doesn't run plays" BS. He's drawn up great plays out of timeouts and sometimes plays don't always work out of timeouts. Some of the idiots in our fanbase would've complained about the way Mike wiped his ass if they were in the stall next to him.

The day he was fired, i was in shock because everyone felt like he'd get next year even though a good portion was pissed off about it. I wanted him to get another year but i was almost relieved when he got fired because of all of the backlash he had gotten. I found myself wishing he had never come to Arkansas at all because he left a GREAT TEAM at Missouri to come home. He gave it all up, including lifetime friends and the Pressey boys. Also left behind an Nephew in Laurence Bowers. That team won close to thirty games the next year with Frank Freaking Haith running the team. I'm convinced Mike would've made a run to the title.

I'll be over here frequently during the season. I am really pumped i have another team to cheer for and your fans seem really cool. You know what's going to happen though. As soon as we both make the tourney, they will pair us together. LOL

In the end, i am convinced this worked out well with both schools and both coaches. I love my Hogs and i am elated with our new coach. I'm also elated for y'all because i know what lies ahead. If he can get a PG or two to finish this class out you can do some damage next year. A lot of folks will tell you "He just hires family". TJ is a good young coach and has turned down other positions in the past. Mike was Loyal to Nolan for 17 years. TJ is loyal to Mike and the kids will love him. If he can get 4star and high 3star talent out of NY City, you will be off and running. He always has less talent than the other guy but his record speaks for itself. HE WILL NOT CHEAT. I've been told it takes 15K just to get a 5star on campus to visit. If you're looking for a coach that's going to take shortcuts and land 3 five star players every year, you will be disappointed. He will develop his kids mentally and physically. They will graduate but you'll have a guy every other year that's good enough to enter the draft.

I know i just wrote a book, my advice. Embrace him, go to war for him on twitter. don't let anyone bad mouth him and have his back. You won't be disappointed.

I am ordering this lid next week

https://campuswardrobe.com/products/ncaa-st-john-s-university-red-storms-6-panel-game-day-snapback-caps-hats?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8rLyIff4QIVv__jBx043gjpEAQYBCABEgLWnvD_BwE

Go Hogs and Go Red Storm

SJUFAN

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

What i meant was we have our "Woo pig sooie" Just wondering if there's a chant or anything y'all do to get the team fired up or to help continue a run? I am seriously going to be a fan. I was elated when Mike came home to Arkansas. Nobody can question that the results weren't  what we expected from day one BUT the mess he had to clean up wasn't an overnight job. I'm one of the few that gave him a pass for the first three years. If you look at the last five, he had three NCAA Tourney appearances and an NIT Bid. where he got us allowed us to land Muss as our next head coach.

Hog fans grew impatient due to the monster that Nolan created. Nolan has been gone going on twenty years and we haven't had any success since that time. During Mike's tenure here, Noland was slowly brought back into the program and we celebrated the NC94 team. Lot's of ex players weren't coming around the program at all. Some folks didn't like the hire from the beginning and those were the ones still mad at Nolan so Mike never really had a shot with them. Short leash due to the misery Pel put us through. We were absolutely at rock bottom when Mike came in. That's why i thought he should get one more year. Knowing that we would be build around a Soph center and a bunch of Frosh, why not just fire him last year? This team got better towards the end and should've beaten Texas Tech and UK on the road but we had a couple of bad losses as well. Youth.

The biggest reason i think Mike is going to kill it here is because he's got a really good chance to put his own footprint on St. Johns basketball. Y'all are a hungry fanbase and you will really embrace what he does with young men and in the community. As Nolan Richardson often says "If you meet a person that talks bad about Mike Anderson, then there's probably something wrong with that person" He's elite as a human being. Top notch and classiest man in the game. I say that with 100 percent faith.

There will be times where you will be like "WTF was that?" but it's because he allows his teams to play the game on instinct. You will question lineups at times but if someone is not playing defense he's going to take them out. There will be Hog fans that troll on twitter that claim "Mike doesn't run plays" BS. He's drawn up great plays out of timeouts and sometimes plays don't always work out of timeouts. Some of the idiots in our fanbase would've complained about the way Mike wiped his ass if they were in the stall next to him.

The day he was fired, i was in shock because everyone felt like he'd get next year even though a good portion was pissed off about it. I wanted him to get another year but i was almost relieved when he got fired because of all of the backlash he had gotten. I found myself wishing he had never come to Arkansas at all because he left a GREAT TEAM at Missouri to come home. He gave it all up, including lifetime friends and the Pressey boys. Also left behind an Nephew in Laurence Bowers. That team won close to thirty games the next year with Frank Freaking Haith running the team. I'm convinced Mike would've made a run to the title.

I'll be over here frequently during the season. I am really pumped i have another team to cheer for and your fans seem really cool. You know what's going to happen though. As soon as we both make the tourney, they will pair us together. LOL

In the end, i am convinced this worked out well with both schools and both coaches. I love my Hogs and i am elated with our new coach. I'm also elated for y'all because i know what lies ahead. If he can get a PG or two to finish this class out you can do some damage next year. A lot of folks will tell you "He just hires family". TJ is a good young coach and has turned down other positions in the past. Mike was Loyal to Nolan for 17 years. TJ is loyal to Mike and the kids will love him. If he can get 4star and high 3star talent out of NY City, you will be off and running. He always has less talent than the other guy but his record speaks for itself. HE WILL NOT CHEAT. I've been told it takes 15K just to get a 5star on campus to visit. If you're looking for a coach that's going to take shortcuts and land 3 five star players every year, you will be disappointed. He will develop his kids mentally and physically. They will graduate but you'll have a guy every other year that's good enough to enter the draft.

I know i just wrote a book, my advice. Embrace him, go to war for him on twitter. don't let anyone bad mouth him and have his back. You won't be disappointed.

https://campuswardrobe.com/products/ncaa-st-john-s-university-red-storms-6-panel-game-day-snapback-caps-hats?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8rLyIff4QIVv__jBx043gjpEAQYBCABEgLWnvD_BwE

Go Hogs and Go Red Storm

Thanks for the info Hog fan! Really excited to see what CMA brings to the program. Appears to be a top notch coach, something we haven’t had in a long time.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:43:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Hog fan! Really excited to see what CMA brings to the program. Appears to be a top notch coach, something we haven’t had in a long time.

Glad to share and i'll be a regular participator over here as long as y'all will have me.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »
Welcome and thanks for your information on coach Anderson. St Johns has been basically a rudderless ship since Lou Carnesecca retired in 1992. His successor former assistant Brian Mahoney had a very good season in 1992-93 making the second round of the NCAA's before ironically losing to Arkansas. At seasons end thee school tore up his three year contract and replaced it with a seven year extension. After that it was all down hill for Mahoney. Despite some great recruiting the next three seasons saw one .500 finish and an NIT bid. He was fired after the 1995-96 season and replaced by Fran Fraschilla Seasons two under Fraschilla brought an NCAA bid then his unexpected dismissal for verbal abuse of players. Enter Mike Jarvis who used Frachilla's recruits to win a Big East championship and an Elite Eight appearance. After Fraschilla's players left Jarvis saw his success decline though he guided the team to one more NCAA tournament and an NIT title. Jarvis was fired in December of 2003 for complaining to the media about the poor facilities. Since then under Norm Roberts, Steve Lavin and Chris Mullin the NCAA's a total of three times with zero victories. If Mike Anderson can restored to the program the success and consistency of the Lou Carnesecca era they he will be crowned a hero. Though New York is a pro sports town and not a rah-rah colleges town St Johns has always been held in high regard on the local sports scene. Every conference game  game was sold out on campus and large crowds attended league games at Madison Square Garden.  Let's hope Mike Anderson makes St Johns a consistent winner again

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »
We have our Arkansas version of CR Green. ( came over here when Lavin got hired because he was UCLA fan. Welcome about and feel free to send Bacon

Foad

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
Are there any slogans you have or things you do when St. Johns goes on a run in the game?

When St John's goes on a run SJ fans sit on their hands and chant "Fire [current head coach]. Which is the same thing they do when SJ does not go on a run.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
We have our Arkansas version of CR Green. ( came over here when Lavin got hired because he was UCLA fan. Welcome about and feel free to send Bacon

RIP CRGreen.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »
RIP CRGreen.

Obviously I'm not happy when any one dies - except my ex-wives - but he was awful.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
Idk MA has been our coach for a minute and I feel like I’d run through a wall for him. I’ve seen a lot of Arkansas fans love him on Twitter.

As for the traditions NY is a pro town so basically nothing crazy in terms of traditions. Before the game they play Thunderstruck by AC/DC and if we win the crowd chants “We are....St johns”

But as you may have seen that hasn’t happened a lot in the past few decades

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »
Wow we have Arkansas fans of St. John's that are better than most St. John's fans. LOL

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »

Go Hogs and Go Red Storm
Thanks HogsFan

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »
Are there any slogans you have or things you do when St. Johns goes on a run in the game?
Yes.

"If it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all."
"Fire the coach."
"We need a quality assistant like Mike Rice."
"My back hurts and it's hot in here."
"I wish I had a pretzel but the lines around the block."
"Lou looks great for 9_,"

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

Go Hogs and Go Red Storm

Great post Hogfan and very accurate IMO. I myself am a new SJU fan!

I think it is good for Mike to start fresh. I think he still has a lot of fire left and is probably hungrier than ever to succeed and prove the haters wrong. Arkansas was his dream job but it didn't work out. He's got a new opportunity at SJU and as you say, I think it could be perfect for him to make his own imprint on a program - much like he was doing at Mizzou before he left. Missouri fans still love him there too. No doubt in my mind Mike remembers the golden era of SJU basketball and is very proud to be at the helm of the Red Storm. I'm excited to root for him and SJU from now on!

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
Great post Hogfan and very accurate IMO. I myself am a new SJU fan!

I think it is good for Mike to start fresh. I think he still has a lot of fire left and is probably hungrier than ever to succeed and prove the haters wrong. Arkansas was his dream job but it didn't work out. He's got a new opportunity at SJU and as you say, I think it could be perfect for him to make his own imprint on a program - much like he was doing at Mizzou before he left. Missouri fans still love him there too. No doubt in my mind Mike remembers the golden era of SJU basketball and is very proud to be at the helm of the Red Storm. I'm excited to root for him and SJU from now on!

Ditto on the post.

I'm finding it really funny that the same Arkansas fans that were wining and crying about wanting Petrino back on twitter and message boards for years after his firing are now complaining that too many Hog fans are talking about Mike. You can't make this crap up. Why wouldn't Hog fans pull for Mike unless they just simply hated him.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »
Lets adopt the "Woo pig sooie" thing. Plus bring in the loud emphasized "RED" during the national anthem thing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:37:23 PM by carmineabbatiello »