• 107 replies
2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »
6’7 bruiser, averaged 13 points in JUCO
https://twitter.com/nypost_brazille/status/1126583735737098243

Marillac

Re: 2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »
He played D-1 ball at Jacksonville University before going to JUCO.
He redshirted a year and then played 16 games, starting six. He averaged 4.1 points and 3.6 boards in 16.3 minutes. He also averages an insane 2.6 fouls but also 0.9 steals.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/damien-sears-1.html

Poison

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
Looks like the kind of player we’ve missed.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
Looks like the kind of player we’ve missed.

Yeah, we've been striking out on those two star recruits recently. The new administration seems to have a handle on targeting them.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:09 AM »
Yeah, we've been striking out on those two star recruits recently. The new administration seems to have a handle on targeting them.

I completely agree. Mullin sucked.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
I completely agree. Mullin sucked.

I've been over Mullin for a couple three weeks now. Hopefully you find peace eventually as well.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
He played D-1 ball at Jacksonville University 
A school famous for quality bigs like Artis Gilmore.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »
A school famous for quality bigs like Artis Gilmore.
Let's not forget his frontcourt teammate Pembrook Borrows another 7 footer and guard Rex Morgan.

derk

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Let's not forget his frontcourt teammate Pembrook Borrows another 7 footer and guard Rex Morgan.

That's Pembrook Burrows 111

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

The two kids he has signed seem like good pieces. They aren’t stars and will mean nothing if he can’t land guys like Heron, Figueroa, and Ponds.

Foad

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
The two kids he has signed seem like good pieces. They aren’t stars and will mean nothing if he can’t land guys like Heron, Figueroa, and Ponds.

And yet giddy fans are giggling like teenaged girls talking to their crush. It's unseemly.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »
And yet giddy fans are giggling like teenaged girls talking to their crush. It's unseemly.

Well of course, I mean, the past regime didn’t recruit a single ball handler or big their whole tenure. It’s exciting stuff.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

While at the same time other fans mourn the loss of a coach with the same record as Norm Roberts after 4 seasons.

People are excited by recruits that will be playing for a coach who takes the job seriously.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:06:43 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
Well of course, I mean, the past regime didn’t recruit a single ball handler or big their whole tenure. It’s exciting stuff.

I don’t know how long you’ve been a fan of the program, but if you’ve followed St.John’s long enough you know that good recruiting is meaningless without a competent coach.

This isn’t even close to the first time we’ve underachieved because of the coach.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »

I don’t think that’s lost on anyone here. If John McGriff is a Sharif Fordham level talent and Damien Sears is a Grady Reynolds level talent, we need that kind of player on our team.

The most frustrating part of all of this is that Mullin could have easily added a kid like this to the team last year, and filled a huge hole we played with once the BE started.

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »
I don’t think that’s lost on anyone here. If John McGriff is a Sharif Fordham level talent and Damien Sears is a Grady Reynolds level talent, we need that kind of player on our team.

The most frustrating part of all of this is that Mullin could have easily added a kid like this to the team last year, and filled a huge hole we played with once the BE started.

Grady Reynolds was the first guy I thought of when I watched Sears tape.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »

Ultimately yes he will need to land top talent at some point. But you want these types of lunch pail, griddy players that bring plenty of intangibles to fill out the roster. Then once you do land that stud, we will be looking at a deep tournament run.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Grady Reynolds was the first guy I thought of when I watched Sears tape.

Same here. Maybe a bit more rugged. This type of kid is always available in JUCO. It’s about time we landed one.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
Ultimately yes he will need to land top talent at some point. But you want these types of lunch pail, griddy players that bring plenty of intangibles to fill out the roster. Then once you do land that stud, we will be looking at a deep tournament run.

Do you know who you are posting to? My favorite players are backup PGs who are tough as nails and rugged, physical PFs who accept the traditional PF role.

I like Anderson’s two additions. With LJ and Heron being the top returning duo in the conference he has the luxury of finishing out the roster with less physically talented guys who can compete.

To be successful here you need both. Norm got the guys Anderson is getting and Lavin and Mullin got the stars but couldn’t land gritty backups.

Anderson now has to show he can land the big fish or none of this matters.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »
we will be looking at a deep tournament run.
You do know this is a St. John's message board, right?