Starting 5

• 249 replies
Re: Starting 5
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »
I don't care what your point was. Dave's point was why didn't their names get tossed around as prospective coaches and the answer is because they're much more successful than coach third choice ever was and they have no reason to end up in Jamaica. Whatever point you think you're making you're not.

BTW. Are all those questions irrelevant non sequiturs, and yes they are and no Weber didn't get fired from his last job and no Turgeon is not less successful recently than is CTC - he's made the tournament 4 of the last five years as opposed to CTC's 3 of the last 8 - and IHNFI whether CTC is going to win at SJ's but if history is any indication he's going to fail spectacularly.

You’ve really been embarrassing yourself ever since Mullin’s been gone. It’s sad to see.

-Weber fired from last job
https://herald-review.com/sports/illini/weber-fired-after-nine-seasons-as-illinois-men-s-basketball/article_355e8020-6a47-11e1-a9b3-0019bb2963f4.html

- Turgeon 9 tourney appearances in 21 years. 9-9 record. Zero elite 8. .631 winning %.
Anderson 9 tourney appearance in 17 years. 9-9 record. 1 elite 8. .649 winning %.

Who knows how he will do at St. John’s but his resume doesn’t say failure.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »
It's great to see the fanbase is excited for the upcoming season. So am I.  I was excited about Mullin's season 3 and 4 too.

I know that there are some of you that watch a lot more college bball than I do. My viewing is limited to watching 3 specific teams.

Even though some of you might have seen him on the tele before - I am skeptical that any of you were "true fans" of his prior to his improbable hire after our preferred prom dates said take a hike.

Our benefactor Dave makes a good point that it is odd that I've never seen his name typed on this board prior to the hire. Coaches already having gainful employment nor plausibility have ever tempered liberal name dropping of every Tom, Dick and Harry as soon as the current coach loses some games.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if in 4 or 5 years Anderson get's replaced as well. I hope not.

Marillac

« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
Dave’s point is valid even though he extended the scope too far—as Anderson was employed during our searches prior to this year. We had literally thousands of posts on the topic of a new coach scattered across multiple forums and I don’t recall seeing anyone mention Anderson prior to the 48-72 hour window in which we expressed interest and he was hired.  If he was mentioned it wasn’t with anything close to the conviction weve seen since his hiring.  Now our forums are full of Anderson experts? Odd.

Say what you will about him, but our recruiting has never been this bad. I get that these guys may “fit his system,” but GTFOH if you expect me to believe that no top talents fit his system. Jaylen Fisher was a defensive menace, shoots his arse off, plays a great point, and was a top 60 recruit. He’s at GRAND CANYON now!!! We couldn’t have used him? Don’t tell me Rutherford is even on the same planet as him on either side of the ball.

This was the most talented grad transfer market of all-time and we got a kid that was a backup at Monmouth. It’s not like Anderson was behind the eight ball recruiting these kids—many of whom entered the transfer portal after he was hired. It wasn’t like he wasn’t coaching and recruiting the last 20+ years either.

Foad

« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2019, 08:28:21 AM »
You’ve really been embarrassing yourself ever since Mullin’s been gone. It’s sad to see.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from a keen judge of talent like you. How's Chris Jones doing these days BTW.

-Weber fired from last job
https://herald-review.com/sports/illini/weber-fired-after-nine-seasons-as-illinois-men-s-basketball/article_355e8020-6a47-11e1-a9b3-0019bb2963f4.html

If you're in the middle of eating lunch and someone asks you when your last meal was do you say breakfast? I don't. Bruce Weber's last job is the one he has now. His former job is the one he had before and of course I knew he'd worn out his welcome at Illinois: it was in all the papers.

I don't know why I bother trolling literal minded nice persons like you, there's very little satisfaction in it. Bored I guess, And in my defense I'm usually pretty faced.

- Turgeon 9 tourney appearances in 21 years. 9-9 record. Zero elite 8. .631 winning %. Anderson 9 tourney appearance in 17 years. 9-9 record. 1 elite 8. .649 winning %.

I said "recently" dummy. MT got to Maryland the same year CTC got to Arkansas. In that time MT has made the tournament four times and has a winning percentage of 662. CTC made the tournament three times and has a winning percentage of 624. The fact is that most of CTC's success is front loaded, both in terms of tournament appearances and winning percentage.

Who knows how he will do at St. John’s but his resume doesn’t say failure.

The Jarvae's resume didn't say failure either. Nor did Fran's. Neither did Lavin's. Neither did Mullin's. And yet they all got run out of town on a rail. I have no reason to think this guy and his gaggle of 2-star recruits is going to end up differently and certainly not because he won some games at UAB at the turn of the century. See also football, Lucy and the. As usual, YMMV.

« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a keen judge of talent like you. How's Chris Jones doing these days BTW.

If you're in the middle of eating lunch and someone asks you when your last meal was do you say breakfast? I don't. Bruce Weber's last job is the one he has now. His former job is the one he had before and of course I knew he'd worn out his welcome at Illinois: it was in all the papers.

I don't know why I bother trolling literal minded nice persons like you, there's very little satisfaction in it. Bored I guess, And in my defense I'm usually pretty faced.

I said "recently" dummy. MT got to Maryland the same year CTC got to Arkansas. In that time MT has made the tournament four times and has a winning percentage of 662. CTC made the tournament three times and has a winning percentage of 624. The fact is that most of CTC's success is front loaded, both in terms of tournament appearances and winning percentage.

The Jarvae's resume didn't say failure either. Nor did Fran's. Neither did Lavin's. Neither did Mullin's. And yet they all got run out of town on a rail. I have no reason to think this guy and his gaggle of 2-star recruits is going to end up differently and certainly not because he won some games at UAB at the turn of the century. See also football, Lucy and the. As usual, YMMV.

“Cause they’re much more successful than coach 3rd choice ever was”
- can you do me a favor and bold “ever” for me? You’re much better at prettying up your posts. Especially when you’re angry.

BTW, the same CJ you became a fan of? Don’t lie now. Oh and how’s Kassoum yakwe doing? In the nba yet?

TONYD3

« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »

Mike Jarvis won a big east championship, took us to an elite 8, and an nit championship. We were ranked in the top 10. He was a failure? He was a great hire. Whatever reason he was fired for has nothing to do with Mike Anderson.

Lavin won 20 games 4 out of 5 years. He was a failure? He was only let go because the hero wanted the job? Firing was a mistake. Still it has nothing to with Anderson.
Uab- 42-20 won conference once
Missouri- 43-37 made elite 8
Arkansas -78-64 in Sec- never had a losing regular season.
He should be an excellent hire.

Maybe the available grad transfers weren’t great fits. They are transferring for a reason. Our new 3rd choice coach should have earned a level of respect.
Transfer U didn’t work last time. Plenty of times we had better talent and got our asses kicked. It’s like some of you missed the last 4 years.

If he loses this year, the new coach should take abuse. I don’t think he will. If he strikes out next year recruiting he should take criticism. I don’t think he will.
The fact that some of you compare Jarvis, Lavin, and coach Mullins in the same breath is like comparing Burger King to Peter Lugers. But you remember 20-51 any way you want.

Poison

« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
Mike Jarvis won a big east championship, took us to an elite 8, and an nit championship. We were ranked in the top 10. He was a failure? He was a great hire. Whatever reason he was fired for has nothing to do with Mike Anderson.

Lavin won 20 games 4 out of 5 years. He was a failure? He was only let go because the hero wanted the job? Firing was a mistake. Still it has nothing to with Anderson.
Uab- 42-20 won conference once
Missouri- 43-37 made elite 8
Arkansas -78-64 in Sec- never had a losing regular season.
He should be an excellent hire.

Maybe the available grad transfers weren’t great fits. They are transferring for a reason. Our new 3rd choice coach should have earned a level of respect.
Transfer U didn’t work last time. Plenty of times we had better talent and got our asses kicked. It’s like some of you missed the last 4 years.

If he loses this year, the new coach should take abuse. I don’t think he will. If he strikes out next year recruiting he should take criticism. I don’t think he will.
The fact that some of you compare Jarvis, Lavin, and coach Mullins in the same breath is like comparing Burger King to Peter Lugers. But you remember 20-51 any way you want.

All of these coaches wore out their welcome. Some sooner than others.

Jarvis and Lavin weren’t long term answers but they had some success. They had success before, and that’s the reason for some hope here. When we hire a coach who has been there, and has had success, we do better than when we get a “better idea” and hire Norm and Mullin.

CMA isn’t Coach K, but he ain’t Norm Roberts either.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:21:52 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2019, 11:18:38 AM »

Jarvis and Lavin weren’t long term answer but they had some success. They had success before, and that’s the reason for some hope here. When we hire a coach who has been there, and has had success, we do better than when we get a “better idea” and hire Norm and Mullin.
Agree. As much as I like Anderson, he is 59 years old. He isn’t going to be here more then 5/6 years.
St. John’s has winning tradition. St. John’s is a great job. St. John’s can certainly compete in the new big east.

We have only been bad under Mahoney (who had 1 good year), Norm who didn’t have a chance, and Mullin. This is not a bottom program.  Those 3 couldn’t do the job here. Plenty of guys can. Plenty of guys will want the opportunity.
Butler won’t keep their coach more then 5 years. Neither will Xavier. They will be just fine.
Someone should have known 30 years ago that maybe Mahoney wasn’t up for the job. I don’t know remember what kind of candidate norm was. But That experience shouldn’t have lasted 6 seasons.
Anderson has the best resume of any coach in school history. No reason he won’t do well here.

goredmen

« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
Agree. As much as I like Anderson, he is 59 years old. He isn’t going to be here more then 5/6 years.

?? Plenty of coaches are coaching into their late 60s and even 70s these days. If Anderson is only here 5-6 years I don't think age will be the reason.

TONYD3

« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
?? Plenty of coaches are coaching into their late 60s and even 70s these days. If Anderson is only here 5-6 years I don't think age will be the reason.
Maybe not. But he won’t be here forever. The next coach has to be a good hire. Simple as that.
When Jayvaghn Pinkston (4 star player out of bishop lougin) was a senior. Our recruiting experts on here said we were in the mix for him.
His head coach came to my school. I asked him directly about pinkston coming to st.johns. His response was “c’mon norm” and laughed.
A year or two later, Lavin brings in Harkless, Harrison, Sampson, and pointer.
Some of the Lavin haters say his first year he won with Norm’s players. Does anyone really believe norm would have beaten Duke, Pitt, Georgetown, and national champion UConn in the same season?
Imagine if we had a real coach last year. If we just took better shots and boxed out last year we could have had much better season. So many fixable things that a real staff would have changed.

This school and basketball team isn’t cursed. When we have a real coach we do well. Kids still want to play in NYC. The garden is still marketable.

If norm stayed 10 years we would have had 10 losing seasons. The only reason last years team was competitive was because it had so much talent. If mullin stayed we would be back in last place.

Johnny23

« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Age is a non-factor as far as Anderson is concerned. If he can't get this program on solid footing in the next 5 years then it's a moot point anyway.

Foad

« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
Especially when you’re angry.

The fact that you think you can make me angry is completely adorable.

BTW, the same CJ you became a fan of?

No, not the CJ that I thought could contribute as a senior on a depleted roster. I meant the CJ you thought was a better more talented basketball player than Jakarr Sampson.

Foad

« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
Mike Jarvis won a big east championship, took us to an elite 8, and an nit championship. We were ranked in the top 10. He was a failure? He was a great hire.

Jarhead inherited a final four caliber team and after presiding over what Sports Illustrated deemed the 24th most corrupt program in college basketball history left a team on probation and facing Father Harrington's threat of disbanding the program, which led directly to the hiring of Norm Roberts. Great hire sling blade.

<hose>

The fact that some of you compare Jarvis, Lavin, and coach Mullins in the same breath is like comparing pooping at Burger King to pooping at Peter Lugers. Some people call it shitting, I call it pooping, hmm hmm.

Foad

« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »

Jarvis and Lavin weren’t long term answer but they had some success. They had success before, and that’s the reason for some hope here. When we hire a coach who has been there, and has had success, we do better than when we get a “better idea” and hire Norm and Mullin.

The other way to look at is that Fran, Norm and Mullin left the program better off than they found it. Despite their relative success Jarvis and Lavin did not.

St John's has not made a competent coaching hire since they hired Lou and they had little choice there. Even the ones since then that seemed logical at the time - Fran, Jarvis - flamed out spectacularly. Maybe CTC is the answer and the absurd process that led to his hiring will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Unfortunately I'm not much of a religious person.

« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
The fact that you think you can make me angry is completely adorable.

No, not the CJ that I thought could contribute as a senior on a depleted roster. I meant the CJ you thought was a better more talented basketball player than Jakarr Sampson.

What’s adorable is you trying so hard to save face in this argument discussion you’ve been so clearly behind on from the start. Any other points you wanna ignore? Let’s get a tally.

-Weber and Turgeon are much more successful than CMA ever was? (Nope, rather comparable, and none of them would have been looking at or mentioned for the sju job the previous two times it were open because at that time they were all successful head coaches at major schools. You understand now?)

-Weber not being fired from his last job? You know the one he had before his current job. As in his last job. Maybe you just missed breakfast.

-Kassoume Yakwe’s NBA status?

You don’t even know what you were disagreeing with. You just like disagreeing.  Please get it together. We need FOAD come November. Not this hack.

Poison

« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2019, 04:54:11 PM »
The other way to look at is that Fran, Norm and Mullin left the program better off than they found it. Despite their relative success Jarvis and Lavin did not.

St John's has not made a competent coaching hire since they hired Lou and they had little choice there. Even the ones since then that seemed logical at the time - Fran, Jarvis - flamed out spectacularly. Maybe CTC is the answer and the absurd process that led to his hiring will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Unfortunately I'm not much of a religious person.

Fran was the only one. He shouldn’t have been fired. He brought some all time greats into the program in a very brief time frame, and he recruited the shit out of NYC.

Foad

« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »
Fran was the only one. He shouldn’t have been fired. He brought some all time greats into the program in a very brief time frame, and he recruited the shit out of NYC.

Don't disagree, but he said he never wanted the job and that he shouldn't have taken it. The guy I think they should have hired and never did was John Kresse.

« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
You know how I can tell SunnyD is writing nonsense or outright lying? His fingers are moving.
Lapchick, Carnesecca, Fischer, Kryshevski and Boheim quickly come to mind.  And my mind doesn't work too well.
This is not a bottom program.
Yes it is.  Thank g*d for Depaul. We're the second worst team in the conference this millennium and I don't think anybody can even formulate an argument to the contrary.
Anderson has the best resume of any coach in school history.
[Buzzer sound]
You really need a proof reader.  See the aforementioned Lapchick and Carnesecca above.

Foad

« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
What’s adorable is you trying so hard to save face in this argument discussion you’ve been so clearly behind on from the start.

I'm winning he said. If you don't believe me, ask me.

Speaking of winning, here's my recipe for corn salad.

Four ears of corn, stripped of kernals, about 4 cups
Two cups cherry tomatoes, quartered.
1/3 cup scallions
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
1 cup basil, chiffonade
I cup cheese, cubed. I use half goat and half blue but let your taste buds be your guide.
One cup hard boiled eggs, diced (optional)

Now the dressing:

Mix

1/4 white vinegar
2 T salt
1 t black pepper
1 T honey
Juice from 1/2 lime

slowly whisk in 1/3 cup EVOO, and not the fugazi kind you get at the grocery store either, real eyetalian EVOO

Stir the salad, apply the dressing, toss and refrigerate for at least two hours and enjoy.

Then tomorrow morning after your hopefully healthy bowel movement examine your shit and find an undigested kernal. If you find one you'll experience the same thrill I experience when I read one of your posts and discover a salient point.

TONYD3

« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Jarhead inherited a final four caliber team and after presiding over what Sports Illustrated deemed the 24th most corrupt program in college basketball history left a team on probation and facing Father Harrington's threat of disbanding the program, which led directly to the hiring of Norm Roberts. Great hire sling blade.

<hose>

Do you just like losing? You love coach Mullins! And you are mad the Jarvis gave Abe keita 50 bucks. Whatever else he may have done, who the fxck cares?