Starting 5

• 249 replies

Foad

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »
I majored in gym because I like to watch teen aged boys shower. Some people called it physical education, I calls it gym, hmm mm.

TONYD3

« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
You know how I can tell SunnyD is writing nonsense or outright lying? His fingers are moving.
Lapchick, Carnesecca, Fischer, Kryshevski and Boheim quickly come to mind.  And my mind doesn't work too well. Yes it is.  Thank g*d for Depaul. We're the second worst team in the conference this millennium and I don't think anybody can even formulate an argument to the contrary. [Buzzer sound]
You really need a proof reader.  See the aforementioned Lapchick and Carnesecca above.
Carmine- the only coach who lost to DePaul with regularity is your boy. We have only had 2 bad coaches in school history. 10 bad years doesn’t make this program bad. If your boy stayed home we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

I brought up age. I think it’s a reasonable point. All the coaches you brought up weren’t starting new jobs. I am sure you can find a few if you look. 62 is the retirement age in this country. I know I will be done before that. Jim Boeheim established his program. He is still great. I am sure he doesn’t have the same energy he had in the 80’s. Syracuse sells itself. I am sure coach K is plenty involved. His younger very capable assistants do much of the work in practice. It’s not like “Do your thing Greg” me and Mitch will be over here playing horse if you need us.

Mike Anderson seems to very invested. In every interview I have seen he mentions hard work. Maybe he will want to coach 10 plus years. Honestly I only mentioned age as the only reason possible to be against Anderson. In my opinion he is a home run hire.

Resume- I meant new hires. I am well aware of coach Carnesecca’s career. I have heard the name joe Lapchick but I am only 40 years old, I can’t be expected to know anything about him.

« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2019, 01:55:04 AM »
Carmine- the only coach who lost to DePaul with regularity is your boy. 
You're difficult to discuss basketball with as you don't seem to understand what's the subject at hand and just start shifting topics and making sh*t up all willy nilly.

This is irrelevant to my point that Depaul is the only worse BE program than us this millennium.  However, since you brought it up, Mullins lifetime record against Depaul is 5 and 4. Only you would construe beating Depaul 56% of the time as 'losing to Depaul with regularity'.
We have only had 2 bad coaches in school history.
Mahoney and Norm. Glad to see you're turning into a St. John's fan and supporting Chris Mullin.
10 bad years doesn’t make this program bad.
We last won a tournament game in 2001 and have 5 Ncaa appearances this millennium. One by the last coach. It's 2019. Our next chance is in 2020. 20 - 1 carry the 3 divide by 2 is 19 years and counting.  Or as your math indicates 10 bad years.
If your boy stayed home we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.
Correct. We would be having some other exchange that you would be incapable of comprehending. Also, he's not my boy. He's all of OUR boy.
Resume- I meant new hires.
Perhaps. But that's not what you wrote and I'm not a mind reader. "You wrote Anderson has the best resume of any coach in school history." The meaning of that statement is perfectly clear. Congrats. So in summary - words matter and you lie like a rug. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:57:32 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
This is irrelevant to my point that Depaul is the only worse BE program than us this millennium.  However, since you brought it up, Mullins lifetime record against Depaul is 5 and 4. Only you would construe beating Depaul 56% of the time as 'losing to Depaul with regularity'.

Imagine how little about basketball you'd have to know to best CA in an argument. Or almost anything. Saxophones for example. The mind boggles. And yet:

Record vs DePaul

Norm Roberts: 7-3 (70 %)
Chris Mullin: 5-4 (55 %)
Steve Lavins: 6-5 (54 %)

Hmm mmm.

TONYD3

« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
Imagine how little about basketball you'd have to know to best CA in an argument. Or almost anything. Saxophones for example. The mind boggles. And yet:

Record vs DePaul

Norm Roberts: 7-3 (70 %)
Chris Mullin: 5-4 (55 %)
Steve Lavins: 6-5 (54 %)

Hmm mmm.
Sorry to get back to you guys so late. I was at the beach. Enjoying my summer. That’s why I majored in gym. Full pay not go to work is really nice.
The hero 5-4 vs DePaul. So in the last 4 years he won 15 games and you guys are bragging. Great point.

Foad

« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »
Sorry to get back to you guys so late. I was at the beach. Watching teenage boys swim. That's why I majored in gym. Full pay not go to work is really nice, hmm mmm

You're being cheated slingblade: if there were any justice in the world you'd be paid twice your full salary to not teach.     

TONYD3

« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
You're being cheated slingblade: if there were any justice in the world you'd be paid twice your full salary to not teach.     
It’s Coach Lavin by the way! Not Lavins. Have some respect!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:34:55 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2019, 09:31:25 PM »
Sorry to get back to you guys so late. I was at the beach. Enjoying my summer. That’s why I majored in gym. Full pay not go to work is really nice.
The hero 5-4 vs DePaul. So in the last 4 years he won 15 games and you guys are bragging. Great point.

Your “full pay” is a fraction of what others make, though. Leave the pay part out entirely if you want to make others jealous ;)

« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:52 AM »
Saxophones for example. 
Yeah but I'm learning.  I'm seeing world class sax left and right. Some of it's almost as good as an aborigine banging on a rock.  Nothing like summertime in New York.

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:24 AM »
Yeah but I'm learning.  I'm seeing world class sax left and right. Some of it's almost as good as an aborigine banging on a rock.  Nothing like summertime in New York.

Marillac played the alto sax.

« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
Ravi "it's all in the genes" Coltrane and George "Master/legend" Coleman on deck.

« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
If no one else is added to the 2019 class, which looks unlikely at this point here's how I think lineups play out.

Here's starting the season, assuming Steere has to sit-out first semester.  I believe all 11 guys here will see minutes until he figures lineups out.

1 - Rutherford / Dunn / McGriff
2 - Heron / Williams
3 - LJ / Champagnie
4 - Caraher / Earlington
5 - Sears / Roberts

Starting lineup by conference play.  I think he only plays 5 guys at the three guard spots, and rotate 4 guys among the 2 forward spots.

G - Dunn / Rutherford / McGriff
G - Heron / Williams
G - LJ / Caraher
F - Champagnie / Earlington
F - Steere / Sears / Roberts

Marillac

« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
If no one else is added to the 2019 class, which looks unlikely at this point here's how I think lineups play out.

Here's starting the season, assuming Steere has to sit-out first semester.  I believe all 11 guys here will see minutes until he figures lineups out.

2 - Heron / Williams
3 - LJ / Champagnie
4 - Caraher / Earlington
5 - Sears / Roberts

Starting lineup by conference play.  I think he only plays 5 guys at the three guard spots, and rotate 4 guys among the 2 forward spots.

G - Heron / Williams
G - LJ / Caraher

Dunn is not a PG.

« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
Dunn is not a PG.
Do it by committee, If they aren’t pressing, then you need to have your three best scorers in there in Dunn, Heron, and LJ, but knowing Mike, he loves his seniority players so I figure Rutherford will play more then he should.

Marillac

« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
Do it by committee, If they aren’t pressing, then you need to have your three best scorers in there in Dunn, Heron, and LJ, but knowing Mike, he loves his seniority players so I figure Rutherford will play more then he should.

I think Dunn is more of an undersized SF.  We'd be at a big disadvantage running him at point with Heron and LJ against Big East teams.  The only way he works at PG is if he splits it with Rutherford, McGriff, or Williams.  Heron doesn't have the ability to create to pickup slack from a combo guard at point.  LJ can pickup some slack there, but not too much.

I believe we'll play small with Heron and LJ at the forward spots for at least half the game and a rotation of Willams, McGriff, Dunn, and Rutherford at the one and two. Heron and LJ will play 32-34 MPG. 

« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:19 AM »
Dunn is not a PG.

Doesn't matter if he's a true PG or not, CMA doesn't care about that, if you've watch his previous teams, you'll notice most of the lineups he's played during his coaching career doesn't have a true PG in it.  You'll hear him saying "PG by committee" a lot at press conferences, he likes combo guards and versatile forwards that can all handle the ball and bring it up the court to keep a fast tempo going. 

One of the best teams had he at Arkansas that nearly upset UNC (they won the National Championship that year) had a guard combination of Daryl Macon, Dusty Hannahs, and Jaylen Barford who played the majority of the minutes together and started the majority of the season, all of those guys were combo guards.

And Banner is also right, CMA loves upperclassmen, Rutherford, being the oldest guy on the team, will play a lot of minutes, unless he's just absolutely terrible.

Poison

« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2019, 03:50:48 AM »

2 - Heron / Williams
3 - LJ / Champagnie
4 - Caraher / Earlington
5 - Sears / Roberts

G - Heron / Williams
G - LJ / Caraher

The more I learn about the incoming players the more I think it will be Rutherford, Dunn, Heron, LJ and Sears to start the season.

Hopefully, Williams does emerge as a legit option at the point. His game reminds me of the SU guard Frank Howard, who was also a converted point guard.

Marillac

« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
Doesn't matter if he's a true PG or not, CMA doesn't care about that, if you've watch his previous teams, you'll notice most of the lineups he's played during his coaching career doesn't have a true PG in it.  You'll hear him saying "PG by committee" a lot at press conferences, he likes combo guards and versatile forwards that can all handle the ball and bring it up the court to keep a fast tempo going. 

One of the best teams had he at Arkansas that nearly upset UNC (they won the National Championship that year) had a guard combination of Daryl Macon, Dusty Hannahs, and Jaylen Barford who played the majority of the minutes together and started the majority of the season, all of those guys were combo guards.

And Banner is also right, CMA loves upperclassmen, Rutherford, being the oldest guy on the team, will play a lot of minutes, unless he's just absolutely terrible.

I understand PG by committee, but I don’t think you understand Heron’s game. He doesn’t create and he when he drives he puts his head down and telegraphs it.

In order for PG by committee to work you need to get at least a PG worth of creativity from three and I don’t see it with Heron being one of those three.

« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2019, 11:31:54 PM »

I understand PG by committee, but I don’t think you understand Heron’s game. He doesn’t create and he when he drives he puts his head down and telegraphs it.

In order for PG by committee to work you need to get at least a PG worth of creativity from three and I don’t see it with Heron being one of those three.
I don’t know if McGriff would be ready, is Williams pretty good?

Poison

« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
I don’t know if McGriff would be ready, is Williams pretty good?

No one knows if McGriff will be ready for any of this. Williams, from what I saw isn’t a natural point guard or anything close to it. He’s a wing, or a 2 guard.

That doesn’t mean he can’t learn to run an offense. My fear is that St.John’s hasn’t had success often when making a wing or a two guard a point.

Dwight Hardy is the only time I remembering it working.