Starting 5

• 249 replies

Marillac

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
I don’t know if McGriff would be ready, is Williams pretty good?

Williams is a solid Big East rotational player at worst and an eventual all-conference selection as an upperclassman at best. He's also our most athletic player.  I'm not sure he's ready for a primary ball-handling role at this juncture, though. He will eventually evolve into a combo or even a Carrington type of PG. Williams would have scored nearly 20 ppg on Monmouth last year.

I think McGriff will be ready.  Guards tend to enter college ready to play and smaller guards even more so.  McGriff played and practiced against high-level post grads and JUCOs so I think he's going to be good to go. 

Johnny23

« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
Williams is not a PG at all. I'm sure Anderson knows this. Williams is a slasher who actually needs to get a better handle just to be an effective 2 guard. Otherwise he's only a 10-15 minute energy guy, very athletic who can finish dunks and drives. Needs to work on his handle and his shot.

Marillac

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Williams is not a PG at all. I'm sure Anderson knows this. Williams is a slasher who actually needs to get a better handle just to be an effective 2 guard. Otherwise he's only a 10-15 minute energy guy, very athletic who can finish dunks and drives. Needs to work on his handle and his shot.

I'm the resident protector of the point guard title on this forum and I disagree.  Williams consistently showed a high basketball IQ, good vision, and controlled pace of play last season.  I was very impressed with him. I think he learned a ton from Ponds as well. I think your take on him as a player is wildly off the mark. 

How did you feel about Simon as a PG? Because that kid dribbled the ball to his chin, had no advanced moves or counters of any kind, and was always rushed. 

Johnny23

« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2019, 12:04:35 PM »
I'm the resident protector of the point guard title on this forum and I disagree.  Williams consistently showed a high basketball IQ, good vision, and controlled pace of play last season.  I was very impressed with him. I think he learned a ton from Ponds as well. I think your take on him as a player is wildly off the mark. 

How did you feel about Simon as a PG? Because that kid dribbled the ball to his chin, had no advanced moves or counters of any kind, and was always rushed.

Well it's time for you to be the protector of accurate talent evaluation too :)  I don't know what to tell you if you can't see that Williams is NOT a PG and will most likely never be one.

Didn't you also say on this board at one point that Simon was one of our options to bring the ball up the court? I'm pretty sure you have mentioned this several times before on here and we all saw what a dumpster fire he was as a "ballhandler". I think before Simon got here you also said that Jordan was a legit PG too which couldn't be further from the truth. His handle was poor.

I stand by my stance as always. Williams is an athletic slasher who needs to improve his handle and shot. If he does these 2 things he can be a valuable piece. I think with more minutes we'll see nice improvement for him in Year 2.

Let the real PG's do the quarterbacking. McGriff and Rutherford are those guys.

Marillac

« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
Well it's time for you to be the protector of accurate talent evaluation too :)  I don't know what to tell you if you can't see that Williams is NOT a PG and will most likely never be one.

Didn't you also say on this board at one point that Simon was one of our options to bring the ball up the court? I'm pretty sure you have mentioned this several times before on here and we all saw what a dumpster fire he was as a "ballhandler". I think before Simon got here you also said that Jordan was a legit PG too which couldn't be further from the truth. His handle was poor.

I stand by my stance as always. Williams is an athletic slasher who needs to improve his handle and shot. If he does these 2 things he can be a valuable piece. I think with more minutes we'll see nice improvement for him in Year 2.

I was killing Simon's lack of point guard skills since before he even stepped foot on campus.  This must be a joke, right?  Nobody has ever disliked something on this forum as I disliked Simon in any kind of ball-handling capacity.

« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »
Months ago I stated on redmen.com that Williams will get the most minutes at Point guard than anyone else this coming year. The resident genius over there "Putzman" said that was nonsense. I guess we will see. I agree that Williams is primarily a 2G, but i am not sold on Rutherford, and McGriff is just a Freshman. So for many of the reasons that Marillac stated, I believe Williams will be forced to play the point this season and will play it well.

wpc77

« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »

If Rutherford plays major minutes this season, we are in trouble

Marillac

« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
Months ago I stated on redmen.com that Williams will get the most minutes at Point guard than anyone else this coming year. The resident genius over there "Putzman" said that was nonsense. I guess we will see. I agree that Williams is primarily a 2G, but i am not sold on Rutherford, and McGriff is just a Freshman. So for many of the reasons that Marillac stated, I believe Williams will be forced to play the point this season and will play it well.

Paultzman is always wrong. He's butt buddies with Zach Braziller and he DMs him for inside information that Zach doesn't feel comfortable enough going public with himself. He told me there was no chance Heron stayed for his senior year and to "drop it." Guess who is here for their senior year?  His name should be Brazillerman not Paultzman.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:41:43 PM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
If Rutherford plays major minutes this season, we are in trouble

If Williams plays major minutes at PG this year then we are in bigger trouble. Rutherford will be fine. Just protect the ball and set other guys up. He won't be asked to do too much.

« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
That's what we need a point guard who doesn't do much?

« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
Williams is a solid Big East rotational player at worst and an eventual all-conference selection as an upperclassman at best. He's also our most athletic player.  I'm not sure he's ready for a primary ball-handling role at this juncture, though. He will eventually evolve into a combo or even a Carrington type of PG. Williams would have scored nearly 20 ppg on Monmouth last year.

I think McGriff will be ready.  Guards tend to enter college ready to play and smaller guards even more so.  McGriff played and practiced against high-level post grads and JUCOs so I think he's going to be good to go. 

I love Williams but I don’t think he averaged 20 as a senior in high school. I like the Carrington mention as a potential combo role. Good to see you’ve come around on him after writing him off after midnight madness ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
I love Williams but I don’t think he averaged 20 as a senior in high school. I like the Carrington mention as a potential combo role. Good to see you’ve come around on him after writing him off after midnight madness ;)

I grew up with a kid who started at Monmouth for a tournament team (his younger brother at Quinnipiac) and another who started at Marist (dated his sister for 5 years). Williams would have destroyed both even as a freshman.

Quincy Roberts averaged 1 point per game his last year here and then 24 his one year at Grambling! Alpha Bangura did almost exactly the opposite after transferring here from Monmouth. I’m confident that Williams could have flirted with 20 as a frosh at that level. Certainly as a soph.

wpc77

« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »
If Williams plays major minutes at PG this year then we are in bigger trouble. Rutherford will be fine. Just protect the ball and set other guys up. He won't be asked to do too much.

How can you come to the conclusion that "Rutherford will be fine" playing major minutes? He was the backup point guard on a 14-20 MAAC team who shot 24% from 3, had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio, and who when it counted the most (in the semifinal and final of his conference tourney), played a total off only 22 minutes for said MAAC team in two games.

He's a practice body, and extreme depth, nothing more.

Williams is unproven, but was offered by LSU, Florida, West Virginia, and Texas.  He is not a natural point guard, but as Marillac pointed out, highly skilled players like Simon can be utilized to be the backup point guard if need be.  Especially when the other option is a guy who sucked eggs as the backup for a weak MAAC team.

« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
Paultzman is always wrong. He's butt buddies with Zach Braziller and he DMs him for inside information that Zach doesn't feel comfortable enough going public with himself. He told me there was no chance Heron stayed for his senior year and to "drop it." Guess who is here for their senior year?  His name should be Brazillerman not Paultzman.

Have to dispute this. I'm not sure who his sources are but there are sometimes he knows things that I know but don't post and I'm like how did you know that?

As for Heron he was supposed to be 1 then pro but plans changed and he thinks he can have a monster year and get back on NBA radar.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
How can you come to the conclusion that "Rutherford will be fine" playing major minutes? He was the backup point guard on a 14-20 MAAC team who shot 24% from 3, had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio, and who when it counted the most (in the semifinal and final of his conference tourney), played a total off only 22 minutes for said MAAC team in two games.

Williams is unproven, but was offered by LSU, Florida, West Virginia, and Texas.  He is not a natural point guard, but as Marillac pointed out, highly skilled players like Simon can be utilized to be the backup point guard if need be.  Especially when the other option is a guy who sucked eggs as the backup for a weak MAAC team.

This is my thinking as well. I like the Monmouth PG Salnave but there is no reason a 4th-year junior like Rutherford shouldn’t have been a star there or at least a 30+ mpg player. I haven’t seen a reason offered as to why he did so poorly.

Marillac

« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
Have to dispute this. I'm not sure who his sources are but there are sometimes he knows things that I know but don't post and I'm like how did you know that?

As for Heron he was supposed to be 1 then pro but plans changed and he thinks he can have a monster year and get back on NBA radar.

He DMs people and stalks twitter...that’s how he gets his info.

The reason he knew things you knew is because your info had the same beginning source:  Matt A. You just got it from different avenues. He got his from Braziller.

« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
I grew up with a kid who started at Monmouth for a tournament team (his younger brother at Quinnipiac) and another who started at Marist (dated his sister for 5 years). Williams would have destroyed both even as a freshman.

Quincy Roberts averaged 1 point per game his last year here and then 24 his one year at Grambling! Alpha Bangura did almost exactly the opposite after transferring here from Monmouth. I’m confident that Williams could have flirted with 20 as a frosh at that level. Certainly as a soph.

Athletically and physically he’s on another planet than Monmouth and the maac. I just don’t think it’s his disposition to score 20 a night anywhere.

Quincy Roberts doesn’t get mentioned enough IMO but that’s a different topic.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
That's what we need a point guard who doesn't do much?

Yeah because the other 4 guys in the starting lineup actually know how to play their role too. I know it's a foreign concept when you've watched Ponds for so long and have 4 stiffs around him not being coached but the concept of 5 guys sharing the load works pretty well for the rest of the college bball world when you have real coaching.

Johnny23

« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »

I lost you at your Simon comparison. He was a piss poor PG (or acting like one). That's the last thing a disciplined, experienced HC like Anderson will do. He won't throw some guy like Williams out there to bring the ball up the court when he knows that's not his skill set.

I like what I've seen on McGriff from the film I've watched. Tough, gritty and strong handle. Hopefully he carries most of the load at the PG spot next year. If he gets gassed or in foul trouble, this team may have issues.

« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »
So can you tell me which team with great coaching from last year did well with a Point Guard who doesn't do much?