3. Xavier 52
4. Marquette 50
4. Providence 50
6. Georgetown 49
7. Creighton 45
8. Butler 21
9. St. John's 19
10. DePaul 11

I think it's fair to say we're gonna be 9th best team. I think we could finish as high as 6 and more likely 8th. I think Marquette is a little high abd Georgetown a little underrated. I'd probably bump G-Town up to 4 and move Marquette below Creighton.

Where do you think we finish?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Big East Preseason Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »
This is depressing.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:34:54 AM »
I think we finish either 6 or 7 in conference. Exceeding expectations.

wpc77

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
5th or 6th.  Will make the tourney, barely.  Iron Mike's condo at the Ritz in North Hills will then be on the market by April (half kidding).

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
I think we finish either 6 or 7 in conference. Exceeding expectations.

Who are we ahead of?

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
5th or 6th.  Will make the tourney, barely.  Iron Mike's condo at the Ritz in North Hills will then be on the market by April (half kidding).

This would be awesome. This would be pretty hard to accomplish. We need to hope Big East is incredibly strong and get 7 teams in tourney.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
You don’t finish 9th when you have the best returning duo in the league.

This team is more talented, more experienced, more skilled,  bigger, and deeper than last year’s tournament team.  It will also be better coached. The projection should be 7th by quite a wide margin. 5th is in play if a couple things break the right way.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »
Who are we ahead of?

Butler and Creighton.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
You don’t finish 9th when you have the best returning duo in the league.

This team is more talented, more experienced, more skilled,  bigger, and deeper than last year’s tournament team.  It will also be better coached. The projection should be 7th by quite a wide margin. 5th is in play if a couple things break the right way.

How can you lament every signing MA has had, + lose Ponds, Simon, Clark, and your boy Trimble, and then claim we are more skilled and talented? Deeper and more balanced sure. I don’t even think you can say they are more experienced.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »

When Anderson gets stalked by st johns loonies the FBI will reference this post on who outed where he lives :)

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »
How can you lament every signing MA has had, + lose Ponds, Simon, Clark, and your boy Trimble, and then claim we are more skilled and talented? Deeper and more balanced sure. I don’t even think you can say they are more experienced.

I praised Anderson for signing the JUCO PF and the freshman PG. I don’t take issue with any single signing...it’s the overall class that has me disappointed.

We didn’t land a dynamic grad transfer or even a kid with a realistic chance to take over for Heron or Figgy in two years. We just lost a visible star who averaged 20 pts for a tournament team alongside two guys who averaged over 14. We have a clear void for someone to slide in and be a 1B or 1C option. That seems like a very easy sell to me.

The freshman PG and the JUCO PF we landed are the types of kids I’ve been screaming for us to land for years. I love those type of guys.

Heron is a legit two-time All SEC honoree and Figgy is probably better. I like Williams and Steere and it seems Roberts is tailor-made for what Anderson does. I also really liked Dunn out of high school.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »

I also think Simon and Clark were used horribly. Simon could have been a monster SF/PF for Anderson and that potential is certainly a loss but his awful offense makes him very replaceable by Heron and Figgy. I feel 100x better with Figgy creating off the bounce as a junior than I ever did with Simon.

Clark could have been one of my all-time favorites with the right coach. Mullin was that for him.

I don’t see any way aren’t better 2-5 this season. Is that enough to makeup for the loss we will experience at the point? It could be.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »

We finished 7th last year with those guys. We lost 145 out of 200 minutes per game. That's 73% of minutes played.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
I also think Simon and Clark were used horribly. Simon could have been a monster SF/PF for Anderson and that potential is certainly a loss but his awful offense makes him very replaceable by Heron and Figgy. I feel 100x better with Figgy creating off the bounce as a junior than I ever did with Simon.

Clark could have been one of my all-time favorites with the right coach. Mullin was that for him.

I don’t see any way aren’t better 2-5 this season. Is that enough to makeup for the loss we will experience at the point? It could be.

I like our team this year and I’m only semi joking with you. I understand all the points you’ve tried to make about the recruiting and I don’t even think their necessarily wrong I just think on one hand you cry for middle a ground from our fans and then on the other you go way over the top.

I still think there is no way to explain this years roster as more talented than last. 

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 10:24:13 PM »
We finished 7th last year with those guys. We lost 145 out of 200 minutes per game. That's 73% of minutes played.

Sorry Dave not sure of your point.

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 10:26:09 PM »
Butler and Creighton.

Butler with Baldwin, McDermott, Tucker is really good core. Khalif Battle gonna be one of better freshman.

Creighton- Alexander, Ballock, and Mintz is another really experienced core

While I think both are beatable I don't see us sweeping either. I think Marquette is Markus Howard or bust. At least we have 2 horses.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
Sorry Dave not sure of your point.

I was adding to your point. I agree how can we be "more talented, more experienced, more skilled,  bigger, and deeper than last year’s tournament team"

Perhaps we play more cohesive and balanced which translates to more wins but we're far from more talented or deeper or experienced.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »

I agree Simon would have been a monster this year but he legit might make the Bulls roster this year.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 02:28:58 AM »
I like our team this year and I’m only semi joking with you. I understand all the points you’ve tried to make about the recruiting and I don’t even think their necessarily wrong I just think on one hand you cry for middle a ground from our fans and then on the other you go way over the top.

I still think there is no way to explain this years roster as more talented than last. 

What is “way over the top” in what I wrote? Finishing 7th? Being more talented than a team that was the last at-large selection in the tournament?

Ponds was awesome. There is no replacing him with one person, but look at the gaping holes after him. We had the worst big man situation of any power 6 team—only made worse by a coach that didn’t stress offensive rebounding. We had no capable backup PG.

You have to assume Heron and Figgy will be better with the extra year. Roberts, Williams, and Earlington should be better and could be way better.

The one big question mark is PG. Anderson put all his eggs in the basket of Rutherford. We had a neon sign inviting every capable grad transfer in the country to come and play 30 minutes and play a major scoring role, but he decided on Rutherford. 2-5 we’ll almost certainly be better.

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
2-5 we’ll almost certainly be better.
Simon and Clark were in 2-5.  Who this year will be better than them?