The Big East and the NCAA tourney - 2020

• 36 replies
The Big East and the NCAA tourney - 2020
« on: December 10, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »
Right now, lunardi has 7 big east teams in: nova, sh, butler, georgetown, xavier, marquette and depaul.

West Virginia is also in as a 9 seed so that is a good win for us.

As long as we can leap either Georgetown, Marquette or Depaul, we can get in. 

It can be done. 

TONYD3

Re: The Big East and the NCAA tourney - 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
Right now, lunardi has 7 big east teams in: nova, sh, butler, georgetown, xavier, marquette and depaul.

It can be done. 
Sports are supposed to be fun. Hope we make it but not expected it. I hope we get to 18 wins. I want to lock up an NIT bid. Anything more then that is gravy. In my opinion

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
Sports are supposed to be fun. Hope we make it but not expected it. I hope we get to 18 wins. I want to lock up an NIT bid. Anything more then that is gravy. In my opinion

I agree.  But it will be fun to chart throughout the year what our chances are. 

I really like this team.  I think our chance the get to the big dsnce are better then most think.

Stay tuned!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
I think it's very unexpected, but will totally change my tune if they win the Arizona game.  If they were to win that game, I think it would show that WVU wasn't just a fluke, but instead showed a team finding its identity.  Also, if they can beat Arizona on a neutral court, then not only is that 10 or 11 wins OOC, but it also means that this team is better than expected and  likely to be able to get 9 or 10 big east wins. 

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »
Baby steps. Everyone needs to take a toke and chilllll out. Year 1 is Zero expectations. Don't make it out that they should make the tourney because no one in their right mind picked that to happen this year.

Are they showing promise and have they looked good at times? Sure they have but I'm not willing to raise the expectation level that much yet in Year 1. Like I said before the season I will be happy with 16-18 wins total from Anderson in Year 1 with seeds for future growth. I've seen some really nice young pieces that will continue to get better in his system.

I've also said many times that I think Anderson's style lends itself to be much more competitive in conference even in Year 1. I could see us winning anywhere from 6-10 games in conference this season. If he wins 10 games in conference then he should get coach of the year consideration. His predecessor never even finished with a .500 record in the BE once in 4 season. That's pathetic and makes you appreciate what Anderson could potentially do even more.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 04:05:00 PM »
Baby steps. Everyone needs to take a toke and chilllll out. Year 1 is Zero expectations. Don't make it out that they should make the tourney because no one in their right mind picked that to happen this year.

Are they showing promise and have they looked good at times? Sure they have but I'm not willing to raise the expectation level that much yet in Year 1. Like I said before the season I will be happy with 16-18 wins total from Anderson in Year 1 with seeds for future growth. I've seen some really nice young pieces that will continue to get better in his system.

I've also said many times that I think Anderson's style lends itself to be much more competitive in conference even in Year 1. I could see us winning anywhere from 6-10 games in conference this season. If he wins 10 games in conference then he should get coach of the year consideration. His predecessor never even finished with a .500 record in the BE once in 4 season. That's pathetic and makes you appreciate what Anderson could potentially do even more.

Lets not go there in this thread.  We dont need another Thread of people arguing if mullin was good or not.

And this thread is not about anyone expecting to make the tourney.  Its strictly to track where we are in regards to the 7 teams that are getting in from the BE.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
Lets not go there in this thread.  We dont need another Thread of people arguing if mullin was good or not.

And this thread is not about anyone expecting to make the tourney.  Its strictly to track where we are in regards to the 7 teams that are getting in from the BE.

If the BE is getting 7 teams then we have a (long) shot to be in that group. I think we're going to have a couple of wins over ranked teams in BE play so dancing is a remote possibility.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
It comes down to how much Coach can develop this team. There’s only freshman, but outside of two guys, this is basically a brand new team.

What I find encouraging is that our success, as limited as it has been, has happened because different guys stepped up. That’s unchartered territory for us. It’s encouraging enough to make the NCAAs possible, which isn’t as nice as likely, but I’ll take it.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »
I’d like to see DePaul make it. Would be good for the conference

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »

It can be done. 

You’re insane.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
Nova struggle with deleware today, seton hall getting blown out by rutgers right now.......

The big east is wide open this year.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »
Nova struggle with deleware today, seton hall getting blown out by rutgers right now.......

The big east is wide open this year.

Truth

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
Xavier lost to a very average wake forrest team yesterday.  Its official. The big east is very weak this year.  Its wide open!!!

Poison

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Xavier lost to a very average wake forrest team yesterday.  Its official. The big east is very weak this year.  Its wide open!!!

I usually root for the BE, but I’m always happy when Xavier and Seton Hall lose games. They can both return to their shit hole campuses ashamed.

Georgetown, however, is good. They will be a tough opponent for everyone. Ewing has done a good job with this group. Clearly, he’s a harder working coach than Mullin. Probably why he always beat us when it mattered.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:31:56 PM by Poison »

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
Probably why he always beat us when it mattered.
Not as a coach he didn't.

Mullin was 4 - 3 ( Tony, the 4 is the wins and the 3 is the losses ) against Georgetown his last 3 seasons including 2 - 0 in the BE tournament.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »

Mullin was 4 - 3 ( Tony, the 4 is the wins and the 3 is the losses ) against Georgetown his last 3 seasons including 2 - 0 in the BE tournament.
Yeah I was at everyone of them. Decent teams don’t play Wednesday night. Xavier and nova beat us by like 50 points the following day. If this is what you are bringing up in favor of coach Mullin it’s kind of pathetic.
Year 2- had a really nice time with my HS friends while beating Georgetown. The only thing from the game I remember was coach mullin trying to fight othella Harrington, at the time I was in such a good mood that I was actually cheering our coach on. Thursday morning on my way to the game, I was not wishing or hoping for an upset. I just didn’t want to get embarrassed.
You can google what happened. Wasn’t pretty. I think your boy gave up 120 points.
Year 3- another amazing triumph in the 8-9 game. Their are some rubes who say we finished last AGAIN that year. We won the tie breaker.
Against Xavier our boys came to play. After 10 minutes it was actually a game. Justin’s Simon hit a wide open 3. The Xavier fans were flummoxed. I told them it was part of the game plan. Justin Simon can’t shoot.
By halftime the lead was 10. Yakwe stayed on the bench. We played with walkons. Don’t remember the exact score. Xavier over 100 coach Mullin barely 50. Again coach Mullin tried to start a fight.
Year 4- same story- don’t remember the specifics. I know I left at halftime.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »

I meant as a player. Ewing was probably working on his game while Mullin was blowing off steam at Gantry’s.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:33:29 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Remember this- Anderson is NOT good in road games but he is always is OVERLY ACHIEVED in Home games that’s why I think it’s awesome that y’all play the BE tourney at MSG, he can win that dang thing there.

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
Remember this- Anderson is NOT good in road games but he is always is OVERLY ACHIEVED in Home games that’s why I think it’s awesome that y’all play the BE tourney at MSG, he can win that dang thing there.
If we get a team capable of winning. Their will be plenty of red in the garden
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:34:34 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
I usually root for the BE, but I’m always happy when Xavier and Seton Hall lose games. They can both return to their shit hole campuses ashamed.

Georgetown, however, is good. They will be a tough opponent for everyone. Ewing has done a good job with this group. Clearly, he’s a harder working coach than Mullin. Probably why he always beat us when it mattered.

Georgetown has no depth.  They are going to wear down.