Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings

• 178 replies

goredmen

Re: Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
He’s had some sloppy, over-aggressive takes for sure, but he has scored off a ton of secondary transition drives with multiple dribbles. His misses aren’t going to be pretty but he’s really hard to stop.

I wouldn’t write him off. His shot will fall with time and that will make him very tough to defend. Admiral Schoefield is his ceiling. Solid role player is his floor.

Schofield was a football player too (his brother played in the NFL) with the same size. He was ranked in the 300s in basketball out of high school.

I hope he turns into half the player Schofield became but I worry that he will try to do things he can't do well to the detriment of the team. He can't shoot. I don't know if he'll ever turn into a competent shooter but he doesn't have to to still be a very good player. I hope he understands that. His drives where he bullied guys to get to the bucket worked against teams like CCSU but aren't going to work against Paul Reed, Bryce Nze or Jamorko Pickett. They will beg him to try that. But he has seemed to curtail that a bit recently.

Like I said, he can become a very very good player for us even if he can't shoot or consistently score off the dribble. He has the strength and athleticism to become a guy that goes for 14-8 in big games by just knowing how to use his body. To me he's more of 4/5 than a 3/4. I also think Anderson is the perfect coach for him.

SJUFAN

« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
What are his limitations on offense? He hasn’t even caught up to where he would be if he was a full-time basketball player in high school.

He is stronger than literally everyone he goes up against and he can drive and shoot for a four. How do you not see him being a nightmare for opposing teams the next two years?

Your assuming he will catch up, I’m not banking on it. His release point on his shots look awkward, same with Williams. Not sure that will be corrected over the next two years. He can get away with it against lower opponents, but it’s the defensive end that’s glaring.

He can score double digits from transition baskets and cleaning the glass, that’s fine offensively if he gets the defensive side of the ball down, but don’t expect him to score from anywhere else from an offensive standpoint.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:46:51 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
Your assuming he will catch up, I’m not banking on it. His release point on his shots look awkward, same with Williams. Not sure that will be corrected over the next two years. He can get away with it against lower opponents, but it’s the defensive end that’s glaring.

He can score double digits from transition baskets and cleaning the glass, that’s fine offensively if he gets the defensive side of the ball down, but don’t expect him to score from anywhere else from an offensive standpoint.

I don’t see why Earlington can’t continue to get better. He’ll learn to defend.

The jump he’s made is significant from freshman to his sophomore year.

Give me ten more like him.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:49:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
Earlington’s defensive shortcomings are being overstated. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »
The problem is the two pre-season BE players are said to be leaving the team after this season. One for certain. Going into this season we have zero idea of what contributions we would get for the transfers or the freshman. We didn’t have a point guard on the roster. The “promising” freshman are roll players at best. Neither of them has a semblance of a high level D1 offensive game.

Even after we beat Arizona, you still believe there is a chance we finish last.

How is a last place roster not in need of an overhaul? It would be different if our pre-season BE 2nd team players were underclass men. We would have something to build around, but they are not, this is their last year and we may finish last with them. Like it or not this is a rebuilding year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams and Earlington transfer next year.
You've formulated an argument for why next year could be considered a rebuild. This year with two all-conference players - not a rebuild. The WV and Arizona wins are evidence of that.

Poison

« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
You've formulated an argument for why next year could be considered a rebuild. This year with two all-conference players - not a rebuild. The WV and Arizona wins are evidence of that.

We can all stop calling Heron an all conference player now. He’s simply not playing at that level.

TONYD3

« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »
Absurd. New coach doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt because he is competent and doing a good job.
Now if he was a lazy piece of crap and didn’t try he would lose. Lose big, but get a pass.

« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2019, 10:39:22 PM »
We can all stop calling Heron an all conference player now. He’s simply not playing at that level.
Sorry, I miswrote. Of course I meant to write pre-season all-conference players. Let's not write him off before the real season get's started.  If he can shake off the injuries - he'll have his day yet.

« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »
Absurd. New coach doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt because he is competent and doing a good job.
Now if he was a lazy piece of crap and didn’t try he would lose. Lose big, but get a pass.
Your post doesn't make sense and I don't understand it.

SJUFAN

« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2019, 11:16:45 PM »

Disagree. This is what having coach with a proven track record of success looks like. Before the season began, you and others, were getting on the staff for the “low level” players he was bringing in. He’s a proven winner. Just because the coach does what he supposed to do doesn’t mean it’s not a rebuilding year. The goal is to compete for championships, we don’t have the horses for that.

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2019, 10:02:38 AM »
Your post doesn't make sense and I don't understand it.
That post was after my 3rd scotch.
 Heron is still an all conference player in my opinion as is LJ. That’s great. But
Roberts- 3 star player- did next to nothing last year.
Williams- played a little. Wasn’t highly recruited.
Earlington- 0 star player. Came into games last year chucking 3s.
Just because Anderson is making this work doesn’t mean it’s not a rebuild.
The last guy was getting blown out by division 2 teams. And people were giving him a pass. Our team might have made the tournament last year, but it was in terrible shape. Guys were transferring out every season. Guys didn’t play hard. Guys weren’t in shape. Coaches were lazy. (I could go on) the complete rebuild will take a few years.
Next year we will probably lose LJ. But the culture will be even stronger. Year 3 we will get better players. It’s a process and it will take some time.

« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
'Before the season began, you were getting on the staff for the “low level” players he was bringing in.' 
That is not true. I've never been "getting on the staff" about anything. I don't follow recruiting at all and I don't know a low level player from a high level player until I see them play.

« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
That post was after my 3rd scotch.
 Heron is still an all conference player in my opinion as is LJ. That’s great. But
Roberts- 3 star player- did next to nothing last year.
Williams- played a little. Wasn’t highly recruited.
Earlington- 0 star player. Came into games last year chucking 3s.
Just because Anderson is making this work doesn’t mean it’s not a rebuild.
The last guy was getting blown out by division 2 teams. And people were giving him a pass. Our team might have made the tournament last year, but it was in terrible shape. Guys were transferring out every season. Guys didn’t play hard. Guys weren’t in shape. Coaches were lazy. (I could go on) the complete rebuild will take a few years.
Next year we will probably lose LJ. But the culture will be even stronger. Year 3 we will get better players. It’s a process and it will take some time.
I disagree.  It has nothing to do with Mullin's coaching style and everything to do with the quality of the players he left behind. Particularly the top two.

I don't consider it a rebuild. WV and Arizona are evidence of that. CFC deserves max credit for pulling off the upsets.

« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »
The team that just beat Arizona will all be back next year haha except Rutherford and add Vince Cole, Isaih Moore and Posh and that’s scary, I wouldn’t include Wusu contributing much early on. I really hope LJ stays
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:46:50 PM by BannerMountainMan »

SJUFAN

« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
I disagree.  It has nothing to do with Mullin's coaching style and everything to do with the quality of the players he left behind. Particularly the top two.

I don't consider it a rebuild. WV and Arizona are evidence of that. CFC deserves max credit for pulling off the upsets.

So if they lost to WV and Arizona then it would be evidence of a rebuild? Good coaching can mask a number of deficiencies.

TONYD3

« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
The team that just beat Arizona will all be back next year haha except Rutherford and add Vince Cole, Isaih Moore and Posh and that’s scary, I wouldn’t include Wusu contributing much early on. I really hope LJ stays
Why down on wusu? He isn’t highly rated. But his stats are good. He is supposed to be a great athlete and he can shoot.

« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
Why down on wusu? He isn’t highly rated. But his stats are good. He is supposed to be a great athlete and he can shoot.
If he is a hard nose defender and can handle the ball, he’ll fit in just fine!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:39:23 PM by BannerMountainMan »

« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2019, 10:33:58 PM »
So if they lost to WV and Arizona then it would be evidence of a rebuild? 
Certainly more so than beating ranked teams is.

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
Georgetown just lost 4 players lol

Lol is right