The St.John's record for offensive rebounds in a season

• 9 replies

Poison

The St.John's record for offensive rebounds in a season
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
Josh Roberts has 43 offensive rebounds so far this season. Anyone know what the record is?

By comparison:
Maurice Harkless had 88 in his season here.
Jakarr Sampson had 72 as a freshman.
Marvin Clark had 65 in two seasons.
Lamont Hamilton had 72 as a junior.

I think he'll top all of these guys by mid-February. Roberts is a fascinating player. His instincts for offensive rebounds are exceptional. That skill in particular is the most unique talent on this team. No other player can match it with any skill.

What's equally concerning, but also something that can be improved upon, is how uncomfortable Roberts is posting up. He needs to learn an up and under. Earlington showed me one earlier in the season. It's not too common in these days of chuck city. By next season, I think Roberts will be playing at an all big east level. This is a kid that really wants it.

Re: The St.John's record for offensive rebounds in a season
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
Earlington actually to this point is averaging slightly more offensive rebounds per minute. It’s been fun to watch.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
Not sure if Roberts will ever develop a low post offensive game. However he doesn't need to because of his rebounding and shot blocking prowess as you already pointed out. He could be All BE level player by Jr or Sr year on that skill set alone if he continues honing it. A lot of credit has to be given to Anderson and staff as Roberts looks like a completely different player than he did a year ago.

I'd still love to see Anderson grab a true 6'10 back to the basket big man. Not easy to get but if we get one of those with all these guards and forwards we have on this team then look out.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
Not sure if Roberts will ever develop a low post offensive game. However he doesn't need to because of his rebounding and shot blocking prowess as you already pointed out. He could be All BE level player by Jr or Sr year on that skill set alone if he continues honing it. A lot of credit has to be given to Anderson and staff as Roberts looks like a completely different player than he did a year ago.

I'd still love to see Anderson grab a true 6'10 back to the basket big man. Not easy to get but if we get one of those with all these guards and forwards we have on this team then look out.

That’s what we’re hoping Ian Steere will be.

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
Earlington actually to this point is averaging slightly more offensive rebounds per minute. It’s been fun to watch.

Earlington deserves to start Wednesday night, Dunn should remain in the same role he will be in all season. It's a good reward for his surprising work to date and should give him the confidence he needs to contribute against Arizona and the BE schedule.

7.6/4.6 through 11 games is nothing to sniff at. He should be a more than capable backup to Steere.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
Mel Davis averaged over 17 rebounds per game one year so there is no chance Roberts can close.

cjfish

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
Mel Davis averaged over 17 rebounds per game one year so there is no chance Roberts can close.

The forgotten man. One of the great forwards in SJU history, second only to Berry

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
That’s what we’re hoping Ian Steere will be.

Man that would be sweet. Cautiously optimistic on that kind of play from him.

ras

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
Earlington is efficient. Also averages a lot of points per minute.

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »

It's actually true that Earlington has better offensive rebounding numbers than Roberts so far.

Roberts gets an offensive rebound on 14% of SJU misses when he's on the court, good for 49th among all D1 qualifying players.

Earlington gets an offensive rebound on 15.2% of SJU misses when he's on the court, 26th among qualifying players.

Either way, I'm glad these offensive rebounding has been stressed by this staff. SJU as a team rebounds 35.4% of their misses which is 24th in the country. We haven't been top 100 in that category since 2012 when we were 93rd.