Xavier @ MSG

• 175 replies

Foad

Re: Xavier @ MSG
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »
If Anderson is... let’s just say 4-14 after his 3rd year then I will eat crow. Until then as Zack tweeted:

“This St. John's season was simple to me: Lay the foundation, set the standard of work ethic and discipline. That has been done. Sure, you want more wins, but this is also the best new Big East has been. if you can't see positives, you're refusing to see them. #sjubb”

So you're right until you're wrong three years from now because an appeal to authority hack beat writer says so? Okay, looking forward to your check in three years from now. I'm sure you'll shut up till then. Because by your own admission nothing you say until 2023 has any meaning.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
That sentence has just as much merit if you replace the word positives with negatives.

Or bananas. "if you can't see bananas, you're refusing to see them. #sjubb”

TONYD3

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
That sentence has just as much merit if you replace the word positives with negatives.
What negatives do you see?

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 05:17:30 PM »
If Anderson is... let’s just say 4-14 after his 3rd year then I will eat crow. 
Well...if CFC doesn't dance after his 3rd year huge piles of crow will be at your lips attempting to force its way down your throat. Whether you eat it or not will depend on how honest you're able to be with yourself.

TONYD3

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
Well...if CFC doesn't dance after his 3rd year huge piles of crow will be at your lips attempting to force its way down your throat. Whether you eat it or not will depend on how honest you're able to be with yourself.
I don’t get you. Why you mocking someone who is actually rooting for the team?

goredmen

« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »
What negatives do you see?

In no particular order:

- The team's best player has regressed massively from last year and hasn't gotten better as the season has gone on.

- The half court offense is as incoherent as it's ever been.

- Blown leads.

- Late game execution is atrocious.

- The halftime adjustment battle is being consistently won by the opposing coach.

- Lineups and substitution patterns make little to no sense at times.

- Hard to say the team has improved much from the beginning of the season until now.

- Getting absolutely crushed on the glass by decent offensive rebounding teams.

- Wayyyy too many open 3s being given up every game due to senseless overhelping off of shooters.

- Defensive success is far too reliant on forcing turnovers. Teams that can handle the pressure and take care of the ball will crush us.

- Even if we do force a ton of turnovers it's no guarantee of success. Last night Xavier turned it over on 28% of their possessions but still scored 1.00 point per possession. That's wild.

I'm sure there's more that will come to me later if I keep thinking about it.

The main problem is that many of those negatives won't necessarily be fixed by getting better players.

TONYD3

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
I think we overrated our best players.
In game I don’t think Anderson is a good coach. But the guys compete for him. I agree I don’t like way he substitutes players.
Blown leads (besides Georgetown) haven’t bothered me. Those teams are better.
We need the right players not just better players.
Half court offense/ I thought was good last night. Plenty of movement. Tough to run a motion offense when guys are afraid to shoot. Our 1 threat was hounded all night. And we have 0 post game.

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
Just to pick one-who is going to rebound at a high level for this team. we all have been clamoring for a legit big or even a PF for years.

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
When students fail a class...is it always the teachers fault?

No, you failed because you are dumb.

The teacher and coach analogy is awful.

Crossfire!

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »
I don’t get you. Why you mocking someone who is actually rooting for the team?
I'm not mocking him. I'm merely informing him that the eat crow threshold bar he's arbitrarily set at 4-14 year 3 is way too low.  He should be personally apologizing to Mullin and JJ if CFC doesn't dance by year 3.

« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2020, 08:40:00 PM »
In game I don’t think Anderson is a good coach.
Oh brother.

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
Oh brother.
In game coach. On vacation, had plenty of drinks. My apologies. Meaning he isn’t going to make adjustments. And his substitutions suck.
I liked Lavin. He was a terrible coach during the game.
Jarvis on the other hand was a great coach in game.

TONYD3

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2020, 08:47:26 PM »
I'm not mocking him. I'm merely informing him that the eat crow threshold bar he's arbitrarily set at 4-14 year 3 is way too low.  He should be personally apologizing to Mullin and JJ if CFC doesn't dance by year 3.
Mullin needs to apologize to all of us. He sucked

Johnny23

« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »
Just to pick one-who is going to rebound at a high level for this team. we all have been clamoring for a legit big or even a PF for years.

It's illegal to have a true big here. They're not allowed anywhere near campus.

« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
At one point there was Yakwe,Sima,and Owens. It looked good on paper.

Johnny23

« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:42 PM »
At one point there was Yakwe, Sima, and Owens. It looked good on paper.

None of them were powerful down low and they all had very little offensive game. Good shot blockers but that was it, too one dimensional. We need 6'9-6'11 230 lb+ bigs to monitor the paint. One with some scoring skill would be gravy.

Marillac

« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2020, 11:10:36 PM »
At one point there was Yakwe,Sima,and Owens. It looked good on paper.

Sima was a bigger loss than most realize or care to admit. 2.4 offensive boards and he could actually score occasionally with his back to the basket.

Mullin should have done more to retain him.

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:28 PM »
Sima was a bigger loss than most realize or care to admit. 2.4 offensive boards and he could actually score occasionally with his back to the basket.

Mullin should have done more to retain him.

Sima got scared off when he lost his starting spot and saw they had signed Zach Brown. It was crazy because he was on the NBA radar after his freshman year. He had no marbles though.

Yakwe also excelled his freshman year and flashed some real potential on both sides of the floor. He was the most disappointing and frustrating player of the Mullin era.

SJUFAN

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2020, 12:10:45 AM »
Sima was a bigger loss than most realize or care to admit.

Says the poster who claimed Owens transferred because he was afraid to compete for minutes with Keita.

Marillac

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2020, 01:36:11 AM »
Says the poster who claimed Owens transferred because he was afraid to compete for minutes with Keita.

It sure seemed like it at the time, Crossfire.

Three weeks ago you were saying our floor was NIT and ceiling was winning a game in the tournament, so you know what it’s like to be wrong. One day you’ll find out what it’s like to be right. Unfortunately, you’ll never know what it feels like to have a triple-digit IQ. As Meatloaf suggested, two out of three ain’t bad.