Xavier @ MSG

• 175 replies
Re: Xavier @ MSG
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2020, 05:29:01 AM »
In no particular order:

- The team's best player has regressed massively from last year and hasn't gotten better as the season has gone on.

- The half court offense is as incoherent as it's ever been.

- Blown leads.

- Late game execution is atrocious.

- The halftime adjustment battle is being consistently won by the opposing coach.

- Lineups and substitution patterns make little to no sense at times.

- Hard to say the team has improved much from the beginning of the season until now.

- Getting absolutely crushed on the glass by decent offensive rebounding teams.

- Wayyyy too many open 3s being given up every game due to senseless overhelping off of shooters.

- Defensive success is far too reliant on forcing turnovers. Teams that can handle the pressure and take care of the ball will crush us.

- Even if we do force a ton of turnovers it's no guarantee of success. Last night Xavier turned it over on 28% of their possessions but still scored 1.00 point per possession. That's wild.

I'm sure there's more that will come to me later if I keep thinking about it.

The main problem is that many of those negatives won't necessarily be fixed by getting better players.

Sounds like hogville during the Anderson years. I see nothing has changed.

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2020, 06:20:21 AM »
Sima was a bigger loss than most realize or care to admit. 2.4 offensive boards and he could actually score occasionally with his back to the basket.

Mullin should have done more to retain him.

+100
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
Mullin should have done more to retain him? Hysterical, this team needs post players. 4 transfer out in 4 years. And a 5th is most likely gone this year. But the hero did a good job. He was almost ok!
Thank god amar stayed all 4 years. Mullin was able to retain him. If he left for Marist and I don’t what we would have done.

« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
Mullin should have done more to retain him? Hysterical, this team needs post players. 4 transfer out in 4 years. And a 5th is most likely gone this year. But the hero did a good job. He was almost ok!
Thank god amar stayed all 4 years. Mullin was able to retain him. If he left for Marist and I don’t what we would have done.

Mullin should have retained all future transfers and Anderson should have retained Clark. We’d be in a better spot.

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
Mullin should have retained all future transfers and Anderson should have retained Clark. We’d be in a better spot.
Yeah, it's real simple in today's college basketball landscape. All you have to do is snap your fingers.

SJUFAN

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
Three weeks ago you were saying our floor was NIT and ceiling was winning a game in the tournament, so you know what it’s like to be wrong.

Show me where I made that proclamation towel-boy.

No wonder it’s a challenge having a debate with you, you see and read things that don’t exist. At first I gave you the benefit of doubt as the dosage on your medication must need to be high, but now I realize your just a nimrod on meds.

« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2020, 01:36:20 PM »
Clark was a 5th year senior out of eligibility. If you meant Simon he was a 5* who spent 4 years in college and was probably ready to start earning money though I wish he stayed as he would have helped a lot in Anderson's system.

SJUFAN

« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »
In no particular order:

- The team's best player has regressed massively from last year and hasn't gotten better as the season has gone on.

- The half court offense is as incoherent as it's ever been.

- Blown leads.

- Late game execution is atrocious.

- The halftime adjustment battle is being consistently won by the opposing coach.

- Lineups and substitution patterns make little to no sense at times.

- Hard to say the team has improved much from the beginning of the season until now.

- Getting absolutely crushed on the glass by decent offensive rebounding teams.

- Wayyyy too many open 3s being given up every game due to senseless overhelping off of shooters.

- Defensive success is far too reliant on forcing turnovers. Teams that can handle the pressure and take care of the ball will crush us.

- Even if we do force a ton of turnovers it's no guarantee of success. Last night Xavier turned it over on 28% of their possessions but still scored 1.00 point per possession. That's wild.

I'm sure there's more that will come to me later if I keep thinking about it.

The main problem is that many of those negatives won't necessarily be fixed by getting better players.

I disagree. The majority of these issues are talent driven and will improve immediately with a influx of higher skilled players, which we are bringing in next year.

LJ didn’t regress, his game, or lack there of, has been exposed due to the lack of talent around him. He is a spot up shooter, nothing more.

The concern with his adjustments are fair, he doesn’t adjust. He’s stubborn in that regard. His substitution pattern is also a head scratcher.

Anderson isn’t perfect but his pro’s far outweighs his con’s. Who better than him can we get? Think we need to be rational and realistic.

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
Sounds like hogville during the Anderson years. I see nothing has changed.

And Hogville, looking like Hogville this year as well....even without Anderson....

Foad

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
Who better than him can we get?

So rather than being a 10 Coach Home Run is more like a fat girl in the bar at closing time. She's a hog (a hog geddit?) but she's better than your own hand. I can get behind that. And have.

« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
I disagree. The majority of these issues are talent driven and will improve immediately with a influx of higher skilled players, which we are bringing in next year.
We might improve, but how much?  Freshmen dependent teams generally don't go from 4-14 to 9-9. We're then looking at year 3 if we're lucky to just match the performance of the previous regime.
LJ didn’t regress, his game, or lack there of, has been exposed due to the lack of talent around him. He is a spot up shooter, nothing more.
That's not so. I see him finish on an assortment of runners, floaters, drives and on fast breaks all the time.

His substitution pattern is also a head scratcher.
Not to me it isn't. I understand it perfectly. His high pressure defense and fast break at all costs offense takes a lot out of the players. He would rather have a fresh 8th best player on his team on the court than a tired 3rd best player. His system is dependent on going deep into the bench and he's going to do it come hell or high water.
Who better than him can we get?
Exactly my point. That's why we shouldn't have gotten rid of our hero. That's why we shouldn't have replaced Hollywood with our hero.
Think we need to be rational and realistic.
This line is just priceless! Where was/is this from the traitors in regard to the legend?

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
So rather than being a 10 Coach Home Run is more like a fat girl in the bar at closing time. She's a hog (a hog geddit?) but she's better than your own hand. I can get behind that. And have.

I’m sure you have said in past, but I can’t remember...who would you have wanted ahead of Anderson!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:25:46 PM by Johnnies93!! »

TONYD3

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »
We might improve, but how much?  Freshmen dependent teams generally don't go from 4-14 to 9-9. We're then looking at year 3 if we're lucky to just match the performance of the previous regime.That's not so. I see him finish on an assortment of runners, floaters, drives and on fast breaks all the time. Not to me it isn't. I understand it perfectly. His high pressure defense and fast break at all costs offense takes a lot out of the players. He would rather have a fresh 8th best player on his team on the court than a tired 3rd best player. His system is dependent on going deep into the bench and he's going to do it come hell or high water. Exactly my point. That's why we shouldn't have gotten rid of our hero. That's why we shouldn't have replaced Hollywood with our hero.This line is just priceless! Where was/is this from the traitors in regard to the legend?
20-59, 40 knockouts losses, multiple player defections every season. If that bum came back it only would have gotten worse. This is a complete rebuild. Anderson’s resume says he can coach. We know mullin sucked
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:03:06 PM by TONYD3 »

TONYD3

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »
I’m sure you have said in past, but I can’t remember...who would you have wanted ahead of Anderson!
Mullin

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Mullin

I know he wanted mullin and honestly who didn’t, but once that ship  sailed was time to move on...just giving him a chance to state who he thinks would be a better choice then anderson
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:46:29 PM by Johnnies93!! »

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
Clark was a 5th year senior out of eligibility. If you meant Simon he was a 5* who spent 4 years in college and was probably ready to start earning money though I wish he stayed as he would have helped a lot in Anderson's system.

I’m aware Clark was a senior. I was trying to out-dumb Tony who is preemptively blaming Mullin for players that transfer a year after he is gone.

TONYD3

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »
I’m aware Clark was a senior. I was trying to out-dumb Tony who is preemptively blaming Mullin for players that transfer a year after he is gone.
Steere and keita weren’t mullin mistakes? Clarke was a mistake also.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:23:21 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
20-59, 40 knockouts losses, multiple player defections every season. If that bum came back it only would have gotten worse. This is a complete rebuild. Anderson’s resume says he can coach. We know mullin sucked

You love citing his overall record in a vacuum and removing all context. It’s childish.

With this logic no coach would have been great at St. John’s in that situation. Even if they went 12-6 years three and four, they would not be able to make up for 1-17 year one and a small improvement year two.

Fred Hoiberg was 16-16 as a 37 year old first year coach at Iowa State with no prior coaching experience at any level. He’s 7-17 at Nebraska right now with a decade of head coaching experience. Does your tiny brain make you believe he just got worse as a coach? Or maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t have the same talent?

This Nebraska team has way more talent than the first Mullin team. Why would anyone take a rebuilding job if their records the first two years will be used against them by fools like you in perpetuity?

Only at St. Jon’s do people argue so much over coaches that range from slightly below average to slightly above average. It’s like arguing over brands of hot dogs or who is hotter between Hillary Clinton and Maxine Waters.

Have your ma make you some meatloaf tonight and then write a list of other potential hobbies.

Mullin make TonyD sad. Mullin no win enough. TonyD wants to poop at a Sweet Sixteen.

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
Why is the Ncaa tournament bid missing from your Mullin resume? It must be an accidental omission, right?

And about knockouts - I told you this isn't boxing. A loss is a loss is a loss.

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
You love citing his overall record in a vacuum and removing all context. It’s childish.

With this logic no coach would have been great at St. John’s in that situation. Even if they went 12-6 years three and four, they would not be able to make up for 1-17 year one and a small improvement year two.

Fred Hoiberg was 16-16 as a 37 year old first year coach at Iowa State with no prior coaching experience at any level. He’s 7-17 at Nebraska right now with a decade of head coaching experience. Does your tiny brain make you believe he just got worse as a coach? Or maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t have the same talent?

This Nebraska team has way more talent than the first Mullin team. Why would anyone take a rebuilding job if their records the first two years will be used against them by fools like you in perpetuity?

Only at St. Jon’s do people argue so much over coaches that range from slightly below average to slightly above average. It’s like arguing over brands of hot dogs or who is hotter between Hillary Clinton and Maxine Waters.

Have your ma make you some meatloaf tonight and then write a list of other potential hobbies.

Mullin make TonyD sad. Mullin no win enough. TonyD wants to poop at a Sweet Sixteen.

Marillac-
I spent many a days eating and hanging with the boys late 80s early 90s In your joint (lol) but you just made the argument  for why we should give Anderson his time also...I have been watching johnnies for 40 years....we will be better next year and for many years to come as long as mike stays...