NIT

• 71 replies
Re: NIT
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 09:18:57 AM »
So you rather our season end after the BE tournament if we don't make the NCAA tourney? Explain that logic.
No. I'm just not "rooting for it" as Mase says I should be doing.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
I think that’s stupid. We aren’t
like Louisville and other teams that can turn down NIT bids. We could use the experience.
Of course. Obviously we shouldn't be thumbing our noses at the NIT.  I just wouldn't be excited about it. However, Ncaa bids get my blood boiling.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Not me. The Nit sucks and I don't give a crap about it.

So, you’d rather have nothing?

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
*4-12 talking optimistically of finishing 6-12 ....there is only 18 conference games.....Again don’t understand why fans can’t root for that and see NIT in year 1 exactly what 80% of this fan base signed up for with a new coach and a 9th place predicted team 

There is a Big East tournament that posters are factoring in for that second win.

My expectations for this year once McGriff got hurt were exactly we’ll end up if we win two more. Nobody has been more accurate over the last decade. I called the Shamorie soph season debacle perfectly once Mussini left.

Like the Big East coaches in their poll, I took Anderson’s positives and negatives into consideration.

Creighton and Butler were predicted 7th and 8th BTW.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:34:45 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
I think that’s stupid. We aren’t
like Louisville and other teams that can turn down NIT bids. We could use the experience.

But...this season was awful. It was disgraceful. There are dozens of teams behind us in the NET that deserve a chance to play in the NIT over us.

6-14!!! We are are 4-win conference team talking optimistically of finishing 6-14!!!!
Only thing disgraceful about this season is your posting and that ain't no joke but you are.

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
There is a Big East tournament that posters are factoring in for that second win.

My expectations for this year once McGriff got hurt were exactly we’ll end up if we win two more. Nobody has been more accurate over the last decade. I called the Shamorie soph season debacle perfectly once Mussini left.

Like the Big East coaches in their poll, I took Anderson’s positives and negatives into consideration.

Creighton and Butler were predicted 7th and 8th BTW.

So if we are exactly what you expected, how has it been a disgrace?

Was shamories sophomore year a disgrace?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
Only thing disgraceful about this season is your posting and that ain't no joke but you are.

Here’s a restaurant idea for you:  “Asburgers.” It combines your two dominant qualities of being a fat arse and having no understanding of social interactions and comedy.

Fusion is all the rage these days.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
So if we are exactly what you expected, how has it been a disgrace?

Was shamories sophomore year a disgrace?

17-16 isn’t a disgrace. HOPING to be  6-14 is a disgrace with 5 games against DePaul (being DePaul) and Georgetown with 7 scholarship players. We were kicked around in league play.

Yes, Shamorie’s first two years were a disgrace (not because of him). Those two teams and this team do not warrant consideration for the postseason.

When you start talking postseason for a team that is 4-12 in conference, that context brings out adjectives like disgrace and shameful. It’s like a methhead looking for credit for being clean for the last three days of a month they started by binging for four straight weeks.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
17-16 isn’t a disgrace. HOPING to be  6-14 is a disgrace with 5 games against DePaul (being DePaul) and Georgetown with 7 scholarship players. We were kicked around in league play.

Yes, Shamorie’s first two years were a disgrace (not because of him). Those two teams and this team do not warrant consideration for the postseason.

When you start talking postseason for a team that is 4-12 in conference, that context brings out adjectives like disgrace and shameful. It’s like a methhead looking for credit for being clean for the last three days of a month they started by binging for four straight weeks.

You just said this season was awful and disgraceful earlier today.

You also said there were dozens of teams below us in the NET who are more deserving of the NIT than us.

Just be honest with me man, how much do you really know about the teams 60 below in the NET this year? You’ve already said you hadn’t watched Zona or WVU in a decade. How up to date could you possibly be with the NIT projections this year?

Poison

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
We are in year 2 of the NET and nobody thinks it is even close to acceptable. The NCAA selection committee said itself that they will lean on other metrics and look at total body of work until the NET is worked out. How in the world could a team be 64 in one metric and 110 in a metric that was trusted for years? Something is clearly way off.

Every team in the Big 10 and Big East will be in according to that metric. Purdue at 15-14 could lose out and still be in the NCAA tournament according to the NET. Georgetown is one win from finishing with a higher NET that several NCAA at large teams last year.

This has been a hugely disappointing season unless it somehow ends in an appearance in the tournament championship game. Hell, making the semifinals would erase the season. Beating Gtown and one of Marquette/Butler to finish 6-14  should not even be worthy of the CBI.

Norm was 17-15 overall and 7-13 in conference. He somehow beat Uconn 21 round one and then lost to Marquette by two round two. He still didn’t deserve an NIT bid.

You are confusing the way things are with how you’d like them to be. Making the NIT is absolutely reasonable with wins over WV, Arizona, Providence, Marq/Butl and an additional win in the BE tournament.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
You just said this season was awful and disgraceful earlier today.

You also said there were dozens of teams below us in the NET who are more deserving of the NIT than us.

Just be honest with me man, how much do you really know about the teams 60 below in the NET this year? You’ve already said you hadn’t watched Zona or WVU in a decade. How up to date could you possibly be with the NIT projections this year?

The 17-16 aspect isn’t awful. Sitting at 4-12 HOPING to finish 6-14 to get an unwarranted NIT bid is gross.

I know as much about the NIT as Carmine knows about the clitoris—very little.

I’m not sure what you want from me. I’m one of the more positive posters about the future. I speaking glowingly about several players. Find me one poster who has backed Earlington from day one like me?

This season is a steaming pile of dog sh*t. I honestly don’t think there is a coach in the country that could have done worse. There is no praise to be given to Anderson for this season. None. But it’s not about this season.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
Im not sure what you want from me..

I honestly don’t think there is a coach in the country that could have done worse.

What I want is for you to stop bitching about middle ground when you offer none. Every other coach in the country would have this team over .500? Now you’ll say it’s a message board and hyperbole is what it’s all about. Yea exactly. Why don’t you stop posting about “your squad” and talk about some basketball. You used to be good at it. Like Earlington, good call, I was right there with you.

On the season I think we have underachieved overall a little bit. Probably low by 2-3 games in conference after a better than expected OOC. By no means do I think Anderson has done a terrible job. You can disagree with his style and point to his limitations (yes he has flaws!) but he is nowhere near as bad as you have painted him out to be.  How bout some nuance? I’m sick of hearing you grade papers.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
Find me one poster who has backed Earlington from day one like me?

Good point.

ras

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »
Earlington looked awful in the beginning of last year. I can’t remember a player w worst form. That said, his improvement has been impressive.
Regarding this year in general, I admit it’s been disappointing, but we were picked to finish 9 th and Heron is injured , Steere was bust and Eli was asked to leave.
 Regarding CMA I am waiting until next year to judge him.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
Earlington looked awful in the beginning of last year. I can’t remember a player w worst form. That said, his improvement has been impressive.
Regarding this year in general, I admit it’s been disappointing, but we were picked to finish 9 th and Heron is injured , Steere was bust and Eli was asked to leave.
 Regarding CMA I am waiting until next year to judge him.

We were picked to finish 9th before Georgetown lost half its roster including the player that would have probably gone #1 overall in a keeper league draft of all the leaugue’s players in Akinjo.

#8 was Butler and #7 was Creighton. Why is the logic not applied to them?

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 11:17:19 PM »
Oh shoot. What man does? It's a mystery down there.

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 01:11:28 AM »
I honestly don’t think there is a coach in the country that could have done worse.

How about Fred Hoiberg?

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 01:35:34 AM »
The 17-16 aspect isn’t awful. Sitting at 4-12 HOPING to finish 6-14 to get an unwarranted NIT bid is gross.

I’m not sure what you want from me. I’m one of the more positive posters about the future. I speaking glowingly about several players. Find me one poster who has backed Earlington from day one like me?

This season is a steaming pile of dog sh*t. I honestly don’t think there is a coach in the country that could have done worse. There is no praise to be given to Anderson for this season. None. But it’s not about this season.

St. John's has by far the least talented roster in the Big East this year. The fact that they are above .500 and competitive in every single game, even against top competition is a reflection on the coaching. Granted they haven't been perfect, but to say there is no coach in the country who could have done worse is just biased and/or stupid. Chris Mullin would be 8-21 or worse with this team.

SJUFAN

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 01:44:43 AM »
St. John's has by far the least talented roster in the Big East this year. The fact that they are above .500 and competitive in every single game, even against top competition is a reflection on the coaching. Granted they haven't been perfect, but to say there is no coach in the country who could have done worse is just biased and/or stupid. Chris Mullin would be 8-21 or worse with this team.

I thought he was being biased but it’s clear he’s just dumb.

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 01:48:21 AM »
Find me one poster who has stated DePaul could win the BE from day one like me?

Good point.