Fordham Rumors: St. John's Connections

• 51 replies

QuanMan

Fordham Rumors: St. John's Connections
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »
There is a lot of movement at Fordham in the works. AD David Roach is retiring with our own Eddie Kull rumored to be his replacement. Neubauer's pathetic reign on Rose Hill seems to be coming to a screeching halt, Lavin is on the early short list to be a candidate to replace him. Kull/Lavin connection makes perfect sense. Would be refreshing to see, local basketball scene would be buzzing with Pitino, Lavin and heavyweight IMA competing for headlines.
Section 3
Section 116

Re: Fordham Rumors: St. John's Connections
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 01:50:03 AM »
Fordham is an incredibly tough job. It would be fun to see Lavin there but idk if that would be more lucrative than gig on Fox.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »
Fordham is an incredibly tough job. It would be fun to see Lavin there but idk if that would be more lucrative than gig on Fox.

Fox may have trouble coming up with the money.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
Lavin should keep the Fox gig, too much work needs to be done at Fordham. The Prep probably has better facilities.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
Lav probably misses the NY dining scene so maybe he does take it.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
I like Mike Anderson, but man....if Lavin and Pitino end up in Iona and Fordham, we're in trouble.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:23:48 AM by 0404 »

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
Nah won’t matter.

I was always a Lavin fan. Think TV is perfect for him and he should just stay.  Would be fun with him at Fordham too though Pitino will kick his a&&

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:52:08 AM »
I like Mike Anderson, but man....if Lavin and Pitino end up in Iona and Fordham, we're in trouble.

Lavin didn’t fail at SJU but he didn’t seem to want to work the NYC game much. I can only imagine it would be that much tougher at Fordham.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
Lavin didn’t fail at SJU but he didn’t seem to want to work the NYC game much. I can only imagine it would be that much tougher at Fordham.

Lavin's strategy was great. Recruit everywhere else and make NYC jealous and want to come.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »
Lavin's strategy was great. Recruit everywhere else and make NYC jealous and want to come.

And at sju you could attract kids from out of the area. At Fordham?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »

Except nobody did.

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
Lavs is very wise, strategic and specific on interviewing at brand name institutions. I don't think that he'd take the Fordham job either. Fordham's president refuses to fund their athletic department, it's been a problem there dating back to the Lombardi days, no exaggeration.

Fordham just "celebrated" their 100th Atlantic 10 win this year. They joined the conference in 1992. Imagine averaging 2.5 wins a year for nearly 30 years, simply pathetic.

Whoever takes the job needs youthful exuberance, the ability to uniquely recruit smart yet tough city kids and have a relentless vigor that will surpass their administration's unwillingness to support in any fashion.

It's one of the worst jobs in the country, yet it has potential, a middle aged guy in the heart of his career shouldn't bite, you need to be young and crazy to take it.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
Except nobody did.

Wut? Didn’t Lavin have the #3 class in nation? Then he landed Jordan and Obekpa. His recruiting came to a screeching halt last two seasons, but that’s on St.John’s. He looked like a guy about to get fired, because he was.

Hindsight is 20/20, but we absolutely should have kept him.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 03:02:02 PM »
Agreed on recruiting outside NY, and he was a highly effective recruiter when motivated.  I'm not sure how jealous he made NYC recruits or their advisors/coaches or made them want to come with that strategy.  Seems he alienated a fair amount - who knows.  Where he could have done a better job is recruiting the 3 star kids with upside from the NYC area that other schools landed.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
Lavs is very wise

Lavin is dumber than a bag of dumb rocks.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 03:34:59 PM »
Wut? Didn’t Lavin have the #3 class in nation? Then he landed Jordan and Obekpa. His recruiting came to a screeching halt last two seasons, but that’s on St.John’s. He looked like a guy about to get fired, because he was.

You missed my point. As you stated last couple years recruiting fell off and little to no locals. Dave said he recruited all over so that locals would want to come. That didn't happen because if good local talent did come we wouldn't have fired him.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »

Even I agree with that.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
You missed my point. As you stated last couple years recruiting fell off and little to no locals. Dave said he recruited all over so that locals would want to come. That didn't happen because if good local talent did come we wouldn't have fired him.

No, you’re right. He didn’t land the kind of locals we needed to build the program. Keith Thomas played at WCC. He just wasn’t a student there, unfortunately. Adonis De La Rosa was as big as a house, and nowhere near ready to play D1 ball despite not even being eligible to play. Orlando Sanchez turned out to be a risk not worth taking. These careless choices by Lavin cost him his job, but in fairness to him, he did bring in some local talent. Harkless, Balamou and Obekpa were locals. He really shat the bed after that in NY.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
Lavin is dumber than a bag of dumb rocks.

He sure was stupid for playing that Brownlee guy and putting Hardy at the point. So dumb. Norm could have told him it would never work and saved him from a wasted season.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
He sure was stupid for playing that Brownlee guy and putting Hardy at the point. So dumb. Norm could have told him it would never work and saved him from a wasted season.

So the criteria for being smarter than a dumb box of rocks is being smarter than Norm? Okay Scarsdale. Maybe lick one of the hand holds on the Metro North so we can be spared your hot takes.