Tulane Post Game

• 26 replies
Tulane Post Game
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »
lets hear it....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Tulane Post Game
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »
There's nothing for me to say. I just don't know how we can be this bad.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »
at this point, i feel like a jets fan rooting for a loss so they get a better draft pick.

I'm not even mad after a loss anymore.

I just look at it as one loss closer to Norm getting fired..which is the only way this team will ever win again.

And if your not Anti-Norm at this point, I feel sorry for you. And maybe you should open your EYES  ::)

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
That sucked

We just appeared to run out of gas today, oh well

southernjohnny

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »
i have battled the anti norms on the other site for two seasons...not anymore..no reason to drop three games to cupcakes...this team has too much talent outside geno to lose these games, and no adjustments made by Norm....i dont understand what he is doing out there...not that i did in the beginning...i just thought it was the lack of talent, but clearly we have talent this season...he just does not know how to use it properly..

kob24

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »
the team is finnaly together so im gonna give THE KIDS A CHANCE to gel but coach roberts isnt coaching well at all. maybe the pressure got 2 him but it isnt look good for him

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
Post Game Articles will be up shortly

www.johnnyjungle.com

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »
the biggest problem norm has in my opinion is his subs ... It seems like when a guy gets going we take him right out and dont see him for a bit.  Or he just oversubs and its non stop guys coming in and out, no flow to the game.  Evans was killing tonight (I still dont know how) and Norm then gave him the hook.  Mase dominated the time he was in the game but only played 23 mins.  I know hes coming back from an injury but he has to be able to play more then that.  Rob Thomas didn't play that much in the 2nd half either but was real productive in all his time too and eventhough hes coming back from injury he appeared to be better then other guys.  Justin is without a doubt our best big man but tonigth wasnt his night, so no reason to ride him while others were rolling.  ah i dunno, so many things went wrong, bring on marist i guess.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
i originally was predicting 14-15 wins this year..... even norm has surpassed my expectations in how bad we would be.... we are not far from 10-11 wins this year....

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 11:05:57 PM »
im not mad at this staff (like i was at jarvis), just very disappointed.  it hasnt worked out here for them. there needs to be a change made and the sju admin cant be so politically correct with this upcoming hire.  they blew the last one when they should've hired bobby gonzalez or calipari if he wanted to come to sju.  contrary to the propaganda that the admin/media threw at people, the ncaa ruling would likely not have changed based on who was hired post-jarvis.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »
Admittedly I haven't seen or even heard any of the last couple games and I only know we won yesterday and lost today. Reading the breakdown it sounds like we won yesterday because we had a rare good shooting day and we lost today because of Norm which obviously doesn't surprise me. I'm only a freshman but I've lived here and closely followed St. John's all my life and while I had hopes for Norm at the beginning, and was even willing to forgive him for not winning with what little he had to work with at first even though it was painfully obvious he is one of the ten worst game coaches in D1, the breaking point has passed. I was worried when everyone started transferring after every season ending with Q a month before the season leaving us with no one ready to have a shot at succeeding at the five spot. I finally knew we could never succeed when I was at a college basketball game and it wasn't even one of ours. I went to the Coaches vs. Cancer final this year like I try to every year. Between the consolation and championship games they announced a New York State High School All Star team mostly comprised of city players. There were between 25-30 of them. And, as we all know, not one of them is coming to SJU. It hurt losing Sylven the way I think we did and obviously that was something Norm didn't control imo. But to have the best players in the city lined up and all say they're going somewhere else really beat the point home...

We have good players this year, as much as I criticize his recruiting. I love the way DJ plays and I can see Burrell taking us places. I haven't seen RT yet but I really look forward to it at the Holiday Festival. But even with them we can't win, it's really ridiculous. If Georgetown beats us fine, same with Pitt (and after seeing Blair run all over Duke that's gonna be sad). But when we aren't even in the conference schedule yet this is downright pathetic. We've lost to the preseason cellar dweller in the ACC (who I know is now ranked but we'll see what happens to them when they begin the conference schedule; still, at least they took care of business now which is what we needed to do), and teams from the MAAC, MAC and now I think C-USA. We're the only major school in the center of the country and a hotbed of recruiting and we have none of the local guys and we lose to everybody. It's gotten to the point where the media doesn't point and laugh at us, they just don't talk about us. College sports have been completely forgotten by the general population of New York because of the way we've fallen like this.

I expect nothing from this team and I sadly haven't had a good reason to for a long time. The furthest I remember vividly was Lopez and Hamilton's teams. They had such great career scoring numbers and they played in exactly one tournament game which they lost to freaking Detroit in who knows what conference. Then we had two great teams (and I'm honestly still not over losing to Ohio State in 1999 lol it began my hatred of Ohio which continued the next season when at MSG we lost a game to OSU when we were up 10 with under a minute left, then the bugs they planted on Joba and the home run lay-up the other day) and we couldn't even make it to the Sweet 16 as a two seed...My greatest memory of St. John's basketball is watching Hatten beat Duke and then win the NIT essentially by himself and now none of that even counted lol.

I'll admit that I'm not always the best fan in the world. I can barely watch the Jets when they're this bad (which is every other year lol) and I even lost hope in the Yankees this spring. But I have never ever missed a SJU home game and even with the lack of coverage these were the first two road games I've missed completely in many years and if they weren't in Hawaii that wouldn't have happened. This is the one team that I can honestly say I've been with the whole way and I'd sit through anything, all this crap, to watch them win one day. But I'm 18 and rationally fearing that it might never happen. I walked two miles to get to the game vs. top 10 undefeated Boston College a couple years ago in a blizzard b/c the car was stuck in the snow and I sat in my old seats as the one SJU fan behind the opponent bench and took shit from Boston fans (who obviously I was already less than fond of as a Yankee and Jet fan) to watch Norm not start Daryl Hill for noo good reason and lose by a few points that we might have gotten from our only consistent scorer when BC came out flat. We lost and I walked through all the snow all the way home sad as hell and I was still glad I went to see us give it our best shot. I've found something to really root for in every player we've had since I can remember except maybe Grady Reynolds lol. I waited all last year to come sit in the Jungle and rush the court when we had a great win at the Garden (like when we beat Louisville and Pitt in a row one week in 06). I watched Hamilton get hurt in the last game against Providence last year and saw Calhoun step up and win the game for us with 21 and I thought to myself we might have something with him and Burrell next year.

I thought many days this summer about finally starting to win again and then there went Calhoun out of nowhere. I love watching Burrell and DJ pile up double doubles but I'm legitimately terrified I'll log on to the Jungle one day in September as we're somberly discussing their transfer. And that is why, not even the lack of high profile guys or getting outcoached every game and losing to Niagara or St. Francis on Louie's day, we need to get rid of Norm ASAP. I'll never stop rooting for this team. But we all see how outside of the Jungle there are no more then 20 fans really caring about what happens at any given game. We've lost essentially everything and it's time we rebuilt with someone new. Stop saying no to McKillop and hope he can bring in a few more gems like Curry. That kid has come damn close to beating some good schools on his own and with a supporting cast even like the one we have he wouldn't lose. McKillop stole him from under Duke and UNC's nose. There's no reason why he couldn't steal someone from NYC (which I should add since in the current landscape it's easily forgettable is our backyard) from under Pitt's nose. Not so long ago that would have been a ridiculous statement but now it's become a pathetic truth.

Go change it St. John's. The real fans won't leave and it's time we went out and made some new ones.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »
to sum ^^^^ that all up...he's a super fan freshman been a fan his whole life and he is disappointed.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 11:24:24 PM »
lol ya i guess that went on a little too long

but something has to change was the general message

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 11:26:57 PM »
its alright man only bustin chops

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 11:38:32 PM »
Admittedly I haven't seen or even heard any of the last couple games and I only know we won yesterday and lost today. Reading the breakdown it sounds like we won yesterday because we had a rare good shooting day and we lost today because of Norm which obviously doesn't surprise me. I'm only a freshman but I've lived here and closely followed St. John's all my life and while I had hopes for Norm at the beginning, and was even willing to forgive him for not winning with what little he had to work with at first even though it was painfully obvious he is one of the ten worst game coaches in D1, the breaking point has passed. I was worried when everyone started transferring after every season ending with Q a month before the season leaving us with no one ready to have a shot at succeeding at the five spot. I finally knew we could never succeed when I was at a college basketball game and it wasn't even one of ours. I went to the Coaches vs. Cancer final this year like I try to every year. Between the consolation and championship games they announced a New York State High School All Star team mostly comprised of city players. There were between 25-30 of them. And, as we all know, not one of them is coming to SJU. It hurt losing Sylven the way I think we did and obviously that was something Norm didn't control imo. But to have the best players in the city lined up and all say they're going somewhere else really beat the point home...

We have good players this year, as much as I criticize his recruiting. I love the way DJ plays and I can see Burrell taking us places. I haven't seen RT yet but I really look forward to it at the Holiday Festival. But even with them we can't win, it's really ridiculous. If Georgetown beats us fine, same with Pitt (and after seeing Blair run all over Duke that's gonna be sad). But when we aren't even in the conference schedule yet this is downright pathetic. We've lost to the preseason cellar dweller in the ACC (who I know is now ranked but we'll see what happens to them when they begin the conference schedule; still, at least they took care of business now which is what we needed to do), and teams from the MAAC, MAC and now I think C-USA. We're the only major school in the center of the country and a hotbed of recruiting and we have none of the local guys and we lose to everybody. It's gotten to the point where the media doesn't point and laugh at us, they just don't talk about us. College sports have been completely forgotten by the general population of New York because of the way we've fallen like this.

I expect nothing from this team and I sadly haven't had a good reason to for a long time. The furthest I remember vividly was Lopez and Hamilton's teams. They had such great career scoring numbers and they played in exactly one tournament game which they lost to freaking Detroit in who knows what conference. Then we had two great teams (and I'm honestly still not over losing to Ohio State in 1999 lol it began my hatred of Ohio which continued the next season when at MSG we lost a game to OSU when we were up 10 with under a minute left, then the bugs they planted on Joba and the home run lay-up the other day) and we couldn't even make it to the Sweet 16 as a two seed...My greatest memory of St. John's basketball is watching Hatten beat Duke and then win the NIT essentially by himself and now none of that even counted lol.

I'll admit that I'm not always the best fan in the world. I can barely watch the Jets when they're this bad (which is every other year lol) and I even lost hope in the Yankees this spring. But I have never ever missed a SJU home game and even with the lack of coverage these were the first two road games I've missed completely in many years and if they weren't in Hawaii that wouldn't have happened. This is the one team that I can honestly say I've been with the whole way and I'd sit through anything, all this crap, to watch them win one day. But I'm 18 and rationally fearing that it might never happen. I walked two miles to get to the game vs. top 10 undefeated Boston College a couple years ago in a blizzard b/c the car was stuck in the snow and I sat in my old seats as the one SJU fan behind the opponent bench and took shit from Boston fans (who obviously I was already less than fond of as a Yankee and Jet fan) to watch Norm not start Daryl Hill for noo good reason and lose by a few points that we might have gotten from our only consistent scorer when BC came out flat. We lost and I walked through all the snow all the way home sad as hell and I was still glad I went to see us give it our best shot. I've found something to really root for in every player we've had since I can remember except maybe Grady Reynolds lol. I waited all last year to come sit in the Jungle and rush the court when we had a great win at the Garden (like when we beat Louisville and Pitt in a row one week in 06). I watched Hamilton get hurt in the last game against Providence last year and saw Calhoun step up and win the game for us with 21 and I thought to myself we might have something with him and Burrell next year.

I thought many days this summer about finally starting to win again and then there went Calhoun out of nowhere. I love watching Burrell and DJ pile up double doubles but I'm legitimately terrified I'll log on to the Jungle one day in September as we're somberly discussing their transfer. And that is why, not even the lack of high profile guys or getting outcoached every game and losing to Niagara or St. Francis on Louie's day, we need to get rid of Norm ASAP. I'll never stop rooting for this team. But we all see how outside of the Jungle there are no more then 20 fans really caring about what happens at any given game. We've lost essentially everything and it's time we rebuilt with someone new. Stop saying no to McKillop and hope he can bring in a few more gems like Curry. That kid has come damn close to beating some good schools on his own and with a supporting cast even like the one we have he wouldn't lose. McKillop stole him from under Duke and UNC's nose. There's no reason why he couldn't steal someone from NYC (which I should add since in the current landscape it's easily forgettable is our backyard) from under Pitt's nose. Not so long ago that would have been a ridiculous statement but now it's become a pathetic truth.

Go change it St. John's. The real fans won't leave and it's time we went out and made some new ones.

AMEN.

i was at that game as well and in the room where the players and coaches were waiting inside of the garden.  after the presentation, one of the areas prominent HS coaches said to me "how sad is it that not a single one of these guys are committed to SJU".

i still say you have to go for van gundy.  he wants to come back to NY, hes not high maintenance so he wouldnt need too much money, and during his year between jobs (between the knicks and rockets job) he was at a NY-area hs game almost every day during the winter season.  hes a former hs coach and the new criteria that the TOP players in the country look at is "which coach can get me to the NBA", and when you see that former nba failures such as rick pitino, john calipari and tim floyd are getting recruits for this EXACT reason, that is clearly the direction that schools need to go in.  jvg is a guy that has won in the nba and the only thing that would even have me the slightest concerned is the fact that his offense is slow and NY kids wouldnt want to play in that but im sure he could adjust.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 11:40:40 PM »
can't really comment on the game. happy for evans..

but it's really sad watching games like tenn/xavier, memphis/g-town, texas/mich st.  how exiciting the games are, the fans going nuts, all of the teams great.  a sense of real honest hope..

it's time for norm to go.  i feel bad he's sucha great guy but he's not cut out for the job.  i want STJ to be relevant again.

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 01:09:04 AM »
Agree with all of the above, please make a change before it's to late. JVG is a great idea and some others as well but time to say thanks for the effort Norm and good luck in the future.We have to make it known$$$$ to the admin. that we won't stand for this and we want to see a better product.

kob24

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:00 AM »

this is one of the realest post ive ever seen on a internet chat forum. damn i thought i was passionate im not even close

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »
im not mad at this staff (like i was at jarvis), just very disappointed.  it hasnt worked out here for them. there needs to be a change made and the sju admin cant be so politically correct with this upcoming hire.  they blew the last one when they should've hired bobby gonzalez or calipari if he wanted to come to sju.  contrary to the propaganda that the admin/media threw at people, the ncaa ruling would likely not have changed based on who was hired post-jarvis.

Im a mostly positive brutha but gonzalez aint the answer to no one.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.