great post: Santa's a st. john's fan

• 5 replies
great post: Santa's a st. john's fan
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
Normally I don't find too many intelligent posts level headed posts on most message board but I really couldn't have said this better myself and I agree 100% with the following.

http://www.redmen.com/redmentalk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35450

Many may not know it, but Santa Claus is a St. John's fan. In an act of compassion, he left the following list of suggestions in Norm Roberts' stocking last night...let's hope he reads them.

(1) Get out of this spread out helter skelter pressure defence. You don't have the horses to make it work. Your guards are relatively short. Your main point guard is relatively slow. You have to stop the penetration that has been eating this team alive since you arrived here. Back your players inside the three point line...and when you use man-to-man, actually teach your players what "help" is all about. This includes watching their own men, and ball location awareness at all times. Absolutely don't allow your big people to be isolated with one-on-one coverages low. Help must come ASAP and steals will follow by consequence. This will go a long way to limiting the existing excessive penetration, that is sending opponents to the foul line and Burrell and Coker to the bench. You will be amazed at how many of your current defensive ills this will cure. Use Gonzaga as your model...not Duke.
(2) Study the principles of good defence. They are: (a) taylor your defence to the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents. Do not play man-to-man against teams that are better and more athletic than you. Do not play zones against teams that thrive on three-point shooting (b) Good defence is achieved by limiting the number of good looks by your opponent (c) Scout your opponents. Get the ball out of the hands of the player who actually wants to score with it. Adversely, create situations to encourage less confident players to take the shots (d) Taylor substitutions to counteract moves by the opponent. When he goes "big", you may have to consider doing then same (e) Teach your players the techniques for drawing offensive fouls. This is the one Duke nuance that you should be copying. You do not have to block every shot that goes into the air. Teach you players to fill the holes and anticipate opportunities made by "out-of-control" opponent penetrators.
(3) You must employ more defensive diversity. You are far too predictable and opponents don't have to do much to prepare. Everyone...I mean everyone...knows how to approach St. John's offensively. Intensity isn't necessarily the all-everything answer to good defence. Knowing what you are doing...is! Multiple defenses can confuse the opponent and make it harder to score.
(4) Geno is doing much too much dribbling and taking far too many threes. He is competent, but does not have star quality. His ability doesn't match his confidence.
(5) Your bench is way too long. This is not Duke and you do not have 8 McDonald All-Americans sitting there. You can easily lose a game with Mason sitting unnecessary minutes on the bench while Horne's in his place. You cannot satisfy everyone...and the best players should get the bulk of the playing time...period.
(6) You MUST get some zone into your repetoire. It is frequently an effective ploy against the right opponents, when played correctly. If you are not confident in teaching it, bring an assistant on board with those credentials.
(7) You must develope scoring balance. There are too many people shooting threes, whose stats do not support the green light. Larry Wright cannot be "the go-to" guy until he demonstrates the ability to follow one good game with another one. There is a disturbing "Patterson-like" trend in this kid so far this season. Trying to free him up to shoot more is a bad idea for the time being. Balanced scoring stats will mean that people are scoring in flow...which will mean a stronger offensive team.
(8) Practice getting players in position to succeed. Every player has a spot and a shot that offers the highest degree of likely success. Excessive freelancing is not a good idea. It creates some fine moments for the highlight reel...but probably lower shooting stats.
(9) Santa likes Kennedy. He is a quality acquisition. He has a nose for the ball and makes things happen on the court. This kid is going to improve and be a fine player. He should be getting max minutes.
(10) Please think about the combinations that you put onto the floor. You must always ask yourself..."Where is my scoring going to come from"? You can lose a game with a five minute lull in scoring production. Sometimes you have created that with a poor assessment of your scoring combinations.
(11) Santa realizes that all people are different with regard to personality and temperment. However, to convey energy to your team, it is sometimes necessary to show some fire on the sidelines. Just watch the tapes of Coach Lou. There is something to be learned there.
And he said unto all as he flew out of sight..."Merry Christmas to all...and pleeaase Norm, Get it right"

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: great post: Santa's a st. john's fan
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »
Maybe Santa wants to change day jobs and draw up the X/O's for us next year  :P

All kidding aside, I agree with many of those points.  I'm not saying they'll work, but I don't know why they haven't at least been "tried".  What we've seen is getting somewhat stale, even with the increase in talent.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »
doc is a great poster...and obviously knows a lot about basketball
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »
Good suggestions, even if he uses "taylor" instead of "tailor."  Freeing up Larry Wright isn't a bad idea.  He's not in a shooting slump, he's in a refuse-to-shoot slump.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 10:21:54 PM »
Good suggestions, even if he uses "taylor" instead of "tailor."  Freeing up Larry Wright isn't a bad idea.  He's not in a shooting slump, he's in a refuse-to-shoot slump.

Larry's strongest aspect of his game is his midrange even though he is a very good outside shooter. I think Larry needs to go to that sweet smooth hanger in the lane a lot more than he does.

Between Dele/Tomas I wouldn't mind seeing a screen around the elbow extended set for Larry with one of these two because Larry can hit the lane and get that J and really we've seen Dele and Tomas knock those shots down its actually one of their stronger points. This is stuff I feel that needs to be done and tailor the offense to our players strengths.

Also if the man down low on the weak side tries to step into the lane to help out that frees up JB right around the basket.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »
good things happen when larry is aggressive...either he gets fouled or he scores when he drives.  it seems Norm has been on him...as Larry is not afraid to disappear at times. 

Lets hope it works... 

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!