DAMN

• 38 replies
Re: DAMN
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »
i just hope it wasn't that human wrecking ball dele coker who elbowed burrell.

It wasn't, Sean Evans caught him with an accidental elbow in practice.
i feel alot better.

get well burrell!!!

Randomhero423

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
St. John’s sophomore Justin Burrell sustained three small facial fractures during practice Thursday and will miss this weekend’s Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.

“He will be reevaluated next week,” St. John’s spokesman Mark Fratto said. “He’s already been fitted for a custom face shield. If things go well with the doctors, he’ll be ready to play with the face shield and he would be back for Miami Dec. 27.

“If it’s determined that he’ll require surgery to correct this, he’ll be out 3-4 weeks.”

The Red Storm, who have won six straight and are 8-1 entering Saturday’s game with Marist. The winner will face the Columbia-Virginia Tech winner in Sunday’s title game.

Burrell sustained a right ankle injury in Saturday’s victory over Bethune-Cookman and played just 17 minutes.

St. John’s is already without senior wing Anthony Mason Jr., out for the season with a torn tendon in his right foot.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »
Lets hope he's a quick healer.  Not the way we want to start the Big East losing our best player.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Roger Rubin breaks the news about Justin
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/19/2008-12-19_st_johns_star_justin_burrell_likely_out_.html

St. John's star Justin Burrell likely out of Holiday semifinal with facial injury
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 19th 2008, 1:22 PM

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell
Justin Burrell, St. John's top player, is likely to miss Saturday's Holiday Festival semifinal against Marist at the Garden. The sophomore forward/center has a broken bone in his face after being hit with an elbow in practice Thursday.

The 6-8 Burrell is averaging 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. During the preseason, scouts from four different NBA teams attended St. John's practices to watch him play.

This is a serious blow to the Red Storm, which has won six straight and is 8-1 but has played a strength of schedule rated 322 of 343 in Division I according to RealTimeRPI.com. Should the Johnnies win Saturday, they will play the winner of the other semifinal between Virginia Tech and Columbia.

Burrell played only 17 minutes in Monday's win over Bethune-Cookman because of a mildly sprained right ankle, suffered late in the first half. He had four points and five rebounds.

Why do I have a feeling that Coker was the culprit?

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/19/2008-12-19_st_johns_star_justin_burrell_likely_out_.html

St. John's star Justin Burrell likely out of Holiday semifinal with facial injury
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell
Justin Burrell, St. John's top player, is likely to miss Saturday's Holiday Festival semifinal against Marist at the Garden. The sophomore forward/center has a broken bone in his face after being hit with an elbow in practice Thursday.

The 6-8 Burrell is averaging 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. During the preseason, scouts from four different NBA teams attended St. John's practices to watch him play.

This is a serious blow to the Red Storm, which has won six straight and is 8-1 but has played a strength of schedule rated 322 of 343 in Division I according to RealTimeRPI.com. Should the Johnnies win Saturday, they will play the winner of the other semifinal between Virginia Tech and Columbia.

Burrell played only 17 minutes in Monday's win over Bethune-Cookman because of a mildly sprained right ankle, suffered late in the first half. He had four points and five rebounds.

you need to read before you post my friend
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »
More details from Fratto via Zags:

St. John’s sophomore Justin Burrell sustained three small facial fractures during practice Thursday and will miss this weekend’s Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.

“He will be reevaluated next week,” St. John’s spokesman Mark Fratto said. “He’s already been fitted for a custom face shield. If things go well with the doctors, he’ll be ready to play with the face shield and he would be back for Miami Dec. 27.

“If it’s determined that he’ll require surgery to correct this, he’ll be out 3-4 weeks.”

The Red Storm, who have won six straight and are 8-1 entering Saturday’s game with Marist. The winner will face the Columbia-Virginia Tech winner in Sunday’s title game.

Burrell sustained a right ankle injury in Saturday’s victory over Bethune-Cookman and played just 17 minutes.

St. John’s is already without senior wing Anthony Mason Jr., out for the season with a torn tendon in his right foot.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »
More details from Fratto via Zags:

Sorry Yankcranker, but you got scooped by Randomhero a few posts back!

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
Guys I'd appreciate if you link your sources this way people can check it out on the site listed.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/12/19/burrell-sustains-face-injury/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »

BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rivoli/AP

Justin Burrell

Yes I know. That was my quick reaction to first reading the news.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

Yes I know. That was my quick reaction to first reading the news.

Coker is like a Bull in a China shop!  Hopefully he takes this opportunity of more playing time and gets his fouling under control.  He's got potential...decent touch, stronger than an Ox, and actually is a decent passer for a guy his size.  Court time is the thing he needs most. 

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
"Practice?  We talkin' 'bout practice?"

Iverson was right!

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
Lets hope he's a quick healer.  Not the way we want to start the Big East losing our best player.

Kennedy is hurt too?

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:25 PM »
ANy thought on Burrell redshirting? Its probably too late anyways

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
It is certainly not too late, but the better question is how long will  he be gone?
I think we have to wait a few days for the MD's to evaluate him further.

The rules state:
Definition: A medical redshirt is a student who misses an entire year of competition due to injury and is granted an extension of his or her athletic eligibility to replace the lost season. In men's college basketball, a student who participates in less than 30 percent of his team's games may apply for medical redshirt status.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »
It is certainly not too late, but the better question is how long will  he be gone?

The rules state:
Definition: A medical redshirt is a student who misses an entire year of competition due to injury and is granted an extension of his or her athletic eligibility to replace the lost season. In men's college basketball, a student who participates in less than 30 percent of his team's games may apply for medical redshirt status.

If he misses 30 percent of the games it gives him the right to apply for a redshirt.  No guarantee.  If he is able to return at any point he would most likely not get the medical redshirt.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 11:55:42 PM »

The rules state:

If he misses 30 percent of the games it gives him the right to apply for a redshirt.  No guarantee.  If he is able to return at any point he would most likely not get the medical redshirt.

Correct, there is no guarantee. I agree, so unless he cannot come back for some obscure medical reason, the redshirt option is not in play.

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »
Get better Justin!  Thoughts and prayers are with you.  Most impt. thing right now is him getting himself healthy..
"I drink and I know things"

kjd01067

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Why is anyone talking about JB redshirting?  He will most likely be out for only the holiday festival and then will play with a mask.  Get well soon Justin!

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Why is anyone talking about JB redshirting?  He will most likely be out for only the holiday festival and then will play with a mask.  Get well soon Justin!

Someone mentioned 4-8 weeks initially but it appears it will be at most 4 weeks...so redshirt is off the table.  I think Baldi brought it up to see if it was possible to red shirt if he was going to miss most of the year.