How we could bring in a big name coach

• 34 replies

Marillac

How we could bring in a big name coach
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
I had a post over on BEB about bringing in a coach like Cal or Pitino.  For Cal specifically, this is how it could be done...

base salary of 900,000
20% of net ticket profits increase
10% of net athletic donations increase
25% of basketball donations increase
unlimited facility use for camps/clinics
weekly radio or tv show (SNY/MSG)
300,000 bonus for sweet 16 in first two years
200,000 bonus for sweet 16 after year two
400,000 bonus for elite 8 in first three years

The man also owns a restaurant in Memphis and would definately see additional revenue potential opening one in NY--which makes Memphis look like a double-AA minor league team in comparison. 

What do we have to lose with an incentive laiden contract?  Our season ticket sales and ticket sales overall are dropping, our basketball donations can't be doing well, and we are not performing on the court.

Randomhero423

Re: How we could bring in a big name coach
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/flash.htm

calipari would not want take a price cut to come here.  right now he is being paid: 1.3 mill.  the minimum of guaranteed money should be at least 2 mill.

here is calipari's current contract: 

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/pdfs/memphis_bb.pdf

i do like the ideas of incentives, but why would he do it?  he knows he can better jobs.  he was born only 15 miles away from pitt.  if they offered more guaranteed money, why not go there? 

i think with the restaurant idea, we would have to help build it/pay the rent. at least.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:17:53 PM »

calipari would not want take a price cut to come here.  right now he is being paid: 1.3 mill.  the minimum of guaranteed money should be at least 2 mill.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/pdfs/memphis_bb.pdf

i do like the ideas of incentives, but why would he do it?  he knows he can better jobs.  he was born only 15 miles away from pitt.  if they offered more guaranteed money, why not go there? 

i think with the restaurant idea, we would have to help build it/pay the rent. at least.

Because NYC is one of a kind.  St. John's is a better historically than Pitt and it will regain the ground it lost over the last 10 years like it never happened with a coach like Cal.  Plus, he left Pitt and never looked back since.  Also, his good friend is Sean Miller and I doubt he'd interfere with Sean gettting that job if it opened up.

There is a challenge here.  How long can Calipari live in a dump like Memphis?  It is one of the dirtiest cities in the country.  It really is a glorified Newark.  He's in a horrible conference and that has to wear on a guy like him.  He took that team as far as he can take it.  Competitive men like Cal are always looking for new challenges.  What a better challenge than coming in and going toe to toe with future HOF'ers like Calhoun, Pitino, Boeheim and great young coaches like JT3 and Dixon? 

He can open a true, grade A Italian restaurant in the American capital of fine cuisine.   He can be a savior to a program that once was a perennial contender. 

He's a family  man, and access to the best recruits in the world just outside the campus will allow him to spend more time with his family.  He's familiar with the area after living in NJ while coaching the Nets. 

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »
i don't think he would take a 400k pay cut though.  he would probably come slightly expensive.  but i absolutely agree he would be PERFECT for STJ and NYC...

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
i don't think he would take a 400k pay cut though.  he would probably come slightly expensive.  but i absolutely agree he would be PERFECT for STJ and NYC...

I don't think it will end up being a pay cut after the incentives.  I think he should be over 2 million by the second year.  Don't forget the camps/clinics are a HUGE part of most coaches salaries.  He would also get a pretty paycheck speaking at the numerous high paying venues in the area.

There aren't many coaches that would take an incentive heavy deal, but Cal knows he is that good.   A sweet 16 for him with Justin, Malik, DJ, Omari, Memphis transfers, and the recruiting class he'd bring in right away would almost be a guarantee year two. 

I would be completely shocked if he didn't sign the #1 class for 2010 if we hired him in April. 

It's lonely at the top and he must be one of like five big names in the city of Memphis.  At least in NY he can rub elbows with other big names and shake hands with guys lie Calhoun and Boeheim after games instead of the CUSA crap.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
I dont think Cal should even be talked about because as long as Louie is around he can't come.   I love your thinking marillac but the problem is it can't be him and pitino probably wouldn't come either.  I think Norm has to go at end of year if we suck like we probably will, but we aren't bringing in a big name.  We're in a real shit situation and I think our only hope is that we strike gold with a young stud coach.  I will say this, this past weekend I talked to a prominent guy in college ball, very young, and he told me he'd be interested.  Listening to him made me realize we aren't getting what we all want, and we're gonna have to pray that our next risk works out.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »
Agreed, scooby doo.  There is nothing in the past 6-7 years of St. John's basketball that would make me think this school is going after the biggest of big names.  Everyone wants Bobby Knight and Pitino and Cal.  There are better situations out there.  St. John's can be a sleeping giant, but there is no reason to believe that a coach is going to get carte blanche to do whatever he wants to do to build a program, and wouldn't the Pitinos and Caliparis want that? 

Maybe we'll get Pitino's son.  Or Cal's daughter.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
I dont think Cal should even be talked about because as long as Louie is around he can't come.   I love your thinking marillac but the problem is it can't be him and pitino probably wouldn't come either.  I think Norm has to go at end of year if we suck like we probably will, but we aren't bringing in a big name.  We're in a real shit situation and I think our only hope is that we strike gold with a young stud coach.  I will say this, this past weekend I talked to a prominent guy in college ball, very young, and he told me he'd be interested.  Listening to him made me realize we aren't getting what we all want, and we're gonna have to pray that our next risk works out.

I know a very young and up and coming D-1 head coach, of which I am a direct descendant of his coaching lineage, that would do backflips to be considered.  His name has been brought up by people on both boards before.  Don't be fooled, there are a ton of big names interested and keeping tabs on the situation. 

Pecora, for example, turned down SH for a CHANCE to coach here.  That is a big statement. 

I've heard from several sources that Calipari was extremely interested in coming to STJ last time through.  He's accomplished basically everything he can in Memphis.  It's got to be torture living in Memphis now.  At least Pitino has the ponies, but what does West Tenn have? 

I share your concern about Louie, but I think he will finally be kept out of the search.  We have a real AD now.  He is very, very old and has proven to be a poor eye for coaching talent.  It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and I can't see Louie holdig a 20 year old grudge based on a rumor after one meal at Dantes with Cal. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

I know a very young and up and coming D-1 head coach, of which I am a direct descendant of his coaching lineage, that would do backflips to be considered.  His name has been brought up by people on both boards before.  Don't be fooled, there are a ton of big names interested and keeping tabs on the situation. 

Pecora, for example, turned down SH for a CHANCE to coach here.  That is a big statement. 

I've heard from several sources that Calipari was extremely interested in coming to STJ last time through.  He's accomplished basically everything he can in Memphis.  It's got to be torture living in Memphis now.  At least Pitino has the ponies, but what does West Tenn have? 

I share your concern about Louie, but I think he will finally be kept out of the search.  We have a real AD now.  He is very, very old and has proven to be a poor eye for coaching talent.  It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and I can't see Louie holdig a 20 year old grudge based on a rumor after one meal at Dantes with Cal.
Hope you're right.

Can this up and coming coach hang with the coaching elite of the Big East?

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »

I think Cal would be interested in coming but I just don't see it happening.  As a fan of the team, I think he'd get us to the top so fast.  I really believe that the powers above us don't care about that though.  In a weird way Cal would have to reach out to louie for this job and thats nuts and he shouldn't have to do that.  The problem is our AD isn't the one who has final say.  This whole situation is a mess because there are too many people who shoudnt have opinions who do.  I heard from some people how Norm got in and was shocked. 

I don't want Pecora, he will be nothing here.  He struck gold with some recruits and never made the most out of it in my opinion. 

I think there are people who are interested and honestly, this would be a great gig to step into next year.  If you get in here, snag Lance, you have a real solid team to start with.  Even without Lance, we will be a lot better mostly bc the big east is goign to lose a real lot of talent.  You'll be the toast of the city from day 1 on the job.  With that we would get the exposure back and probably start to get the players we all feel we deserve.  I also like the fact no player would have allegience to the coach and would have to bust it to play.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »
Memphis got some sick bbq.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »
Pecora isnt the guy

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:15:56 PM »
I think we are all forgetting that we have an Athletic Director now.  Not a fundraiser/kinda AD/yesman.  We have a guy that SHOULD fight for his department and convince the administration that an investment in a coach like Cal would be an investment in the school's future.

Maybe I am being too optimistic and a bit naive, but I know this can get done.  Cal has proven to be creative in making money in the past, and being in NYC would be like shooting fish in a barrell.  A successful restaurant in Manhattan could net him more $ than coaching.

Look at the speaking arrangements alone, I'm sure Cal could secure a good $200,000 speaking at awards nights and dinners at schools like Dom Bosco, Bergen Catholic, Chaminade, St. Joe's Montvale, Xavier, etc. 

Poison

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »

How does Memphis afford a 1.3 million dollar salary for a coach?

and how could a private university like SJU not be able to cover that if Memphis could?

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »

and how could a private university like SJU not be able to cover that if Memphis could?

Guys like World Wide

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »

Guys like World Wide
World Wide doesn't cover the coach's base salary.  Remember that Memphis is a football school with big dreams, and has a decent hoops history... there is some leeway to pay for a big contract.  And public schools are helped byt the state's funding of the University system in that state. 

I don't know how that goes with public funding, but public schools have money/ revenue to pay for big time coaches.  Do private schools have those funding streams, and if they do, are they willing to spend money to make money?  Depends on the school, I guess...

By the way - I am pretty sure that the University can't buy a restaurant for a guy and his private interests outright.  (They can add enough money to cover that expense, or find a coach a curiously low-interest loan for a curiously under-market rate location, if that's how they roll.)

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »
World Wide takes care of the player payroll

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »
a restaurant?  why don't we hire bobby flay to coach?

the restaurant business is tough.  who says cal wants to own a restaurant?

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 02:03:09 AM »

Cal already owns a restaurant. 

LOL and Peter I wasn't suggesting the school buy him a restaurant!  Although that made me laugh my arse off.  I was only stating that I'm sure it would be of interest to start a restaurant in Manhattan. 

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 02:50:22 AM »

Cal already owns a restaurant. 

LOL and Peter I wasn't suggesting the school buy him a restaurant!  Although that made me laugh my arse off.  I was only stating that I'm sure it would be of interest to start a restaurant in Manhattan.

I avoided posting in this thread before, but I have to say that I admire your blind loyalty to this administration. We can all hope and pray that you are right in what they might offer the next coach, whoever and whenever that is!

I am willing to commit that if Calipari (or any other coach) does in fact come to SJU and subsequently opens a new restaurant in the five boroughs, I will be the first to book my companie’s Holiday party there in support of said coach’s business ventures!