Burrell vs Blair

• 39 replies
Burrell vs Blair
« on: January 09, 2009, 04:32:14 AM »
This is going to be the most interesting matchup so far this season. Can Burrell play up to the level we think he is capable to? Does he rise to the occasion of trying to stop Blair? We'll really get a true test what kind of player/man Justin Burrell is on Sunday.

I liked his quotes in the pregame press conference. He said something to the effect he could get 0 rebounds against Pitt because he will be working so hard on keeping rebounds away from Dejuan Blair by driving him away from the basket as far as possible. He is using the logic of addition by subtraction. However I hope Justin boards like a beast on Sunday.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Burrell vs Blair
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »
This is going to be the most interesting matchup so far this season. Can Burrell play up to the level we think he is capable to? Does he rise to the occasion of trying to stop Blair? We'll really get a true test what kind of player/man Justin Burrell is on Sunday.

I liked his quotes in the pregame press conference. He said something to the effect he could get 0 rebounds against Pitt because he will be working so hard on keeping rebounds away from Dejuan Blair by driving him away from the basket as far as possible. He is using the logic of addition by subtraction. However I hope Justin boards like a beast on Sunday.

I'd put Evans on him first, then maybe run a couple of the crappy centers on him to try and tire him out. Blair IS a beast on the boards and his motor is a lot higher than Justin's.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »

Was that his excuse for his first 12 games of the season? He was trying to keep players away from the basket, so he couldnt get too many rebounds?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:54 PM »

I'd put Evans on him first, then maybe run a couple of the crappy centers on him to try and tire him out. Blair IS a beast on the boards and his motor is a lot higher than Justin's.

Sean has a.d.d. on defense at times and just loses focus on his assignment. He tends to follow the ball and forget about his man. At times the gamble pays off with a blocked shot but other times it results in a dump and dunk. I'd expect Evans to matchup on Biggs.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Think Horne will be on Fields?

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
Sam Young is the X factor here. We need to keep him in check

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

Sean has a.d.d. on defense at times and just loses focus on his assignment. He tends to follow the ball and forget about his man. At times the gamble pays off with a blocked shot but other times it results in a dump and dunk. I'd expect Evans to matchup on Biggs.

Neither Evans or Burrell is a good matchup for Blair! I just figure Evans is more active and a better rebounder than Burrell. Plus, it would save Justin from being in foul trouble.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
Think Horne will be on Fields?

I think you'll see Paris on him to start off but eventually Malik, if he plays, take over the reigns later in the game.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »

X factor?????
X factor usually only come into play when there are two evenly matched teams where some intangible can sway things one way or the other.
The X factor in this game is Pitt is much, much better.
On the road against a much better team, they would be showing me improvement if they can keep it under a 10 point loss.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »

Neither Evans or Burrell is a good matchup for Blair! I just figure Evans is more active and a better rebounder than Burrell. Plus, it would save Justin from being in foul trouble.

Evans is a much better OFFENSIVE rebounder than Burrell. However defensively I think Justin is definitely a better rebounder. I'm sure stats would back up this up as well.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

Evans is a much better OFFENSIVE rebounder than Burrell. However defensively I think Justin is definitely a better rebounder. I'm sure stats would back up this up as well.

Unfortunately stats back up Justin being a BAD rebounder! 4.5 per game is atrocious!

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »

X factor?????
X factor usually only come into play when there are two evenly matched teams where some intangible can sway things one way or the other.
On the road against a much better team, they would be showing me improvement if they can keep it under a 10 point loss.

you know what I mean nutbag! ;) If Sam Young goes off, we have no chance

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:21 PM »

Unfortunately stats back up Justin being a BAD rebounder! 4.5 per game is atrocious!

Evans is 3.7 def reb per game

Burrell is 3.5 def reb per game

So they are similar but when push comes to shove I think Burrell has more potential to be a better rebounder over 40 minutes.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Below-average for what genetics gave him. He's got the physical tools. Whether he gets the desire and learns how to better position his body, that's up to him.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »

Evans is 3.7 def reb per game

Burrell is 3.5 def reb per game

So they are similar but when push comes to shove I think Burrell has more potential to be a better rebounder over 40 minutes.

Starting to think Justin's middle name is POTENTIAL! The REALITY needs to play better!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »

X factor?????

I very rarely know what your basketball posts mean squirrel nutz :)

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »

X factor?????

Yes I apologize, I have to start curbing my basketball IQ down to the rest.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

X factor?????

Yes I apologize, I have to start curbing my basketball IQ down to the rest.

To curb it down anymore you would have to actually drool on your keyboard

sjd8886

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

X factor?????

your post made me laugh....then i realized you're right....and i cried

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »
Blair is too strong for JB.

We need to get Blair and/or Young in foul trouble even to keep it close.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!