Hypothetical Question

• 26 replies
Hypothetical Question
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »
I posed this on BEB as well:

IF IT WAS A CERTAINTY THAT NORM HAD TO MEET SOME SORT OF VICTORY TOTAL TO BE RETAINED, WOULD YOU ROOT AGAINST THE TEAM?

I would!

Re: Hypothetical Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
NO

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
No. I don't get people's love(hate) affair with Norm. People are so obsessive with him. Was it this way when Jarvis was coach? Or Frachilla?

I'm very indifferent and I'm more interested in ways for the current situation to improve. In the offseason I will turn to look at the coaching staff, evaluate, and formulate a new opinion but for now I'm more focused on how to beat Rutgers and how to land Lance Stephenson.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:43:48 AM »
No. I don't get people's love(hate) affair with Norm. People are so obsessive with him. Was it this way when Jarvis was coach? Or Frachilla?

I'm very indifferent and I'm more interested in ways for the current situation to improve. In the offseason I will turn to look at the coaching staff, evaluate, and formulate a new opinion but for now I'm more focused on how to beat Rutgers and how to land Lance Stephenson.

UM...Dave even with how it ended Jarvis anf Fran's teams were MUCH more succesful and better to watch than this slop!
The Fran firing was more internal and for reasons other than what was going on on the floor.

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »

You are a knowledgable basketball fan, Dave.  How can you not see the lack of organization, lack of plays, lack of adjustments, lack of recruiting ability that Norm displays on a consistent basis?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

You are a knowledgable basketball fan, Dave.  How can you not see the lack of organization, lack of plays, lack of adjustments, lack of recruiting ability that Norm displays on a consistent basis?

There was a big fan revolt against Mahoney, who had made a NCAA tourney, was BE coach of the year, was bringing in big recruits and was a nice guy to boot. Yes he was a bad coach, but Norm is an absolute disaster in EVERY way!!

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:58 PM »
Hypothetical Question for Tha Kid:

Go back a short time to when you were still a student. If you had 1-2 of these players in your classes and you became friends with them, would you still root for the team to lose?

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
Hypothetical Question for Tha Kid:

Go back a short time to when you were still a student. If you had 1-2 of these players in your classes and you became friends with them, would you still root for the team to lose?

Dave is not a college student, so not sure how this applies to him.

I have NEVER rooted for the team to lose and never will.  WASJU's situation is not real - no program lists a benchmark # of wins that if not met, the coach does not stay.  That said, if I was told Norm was gone if we won less than 15, once we won the 14th game I wouldn't root for the team to win anymore.

And for the record, if I was a college student, i'd be even ANGRIER!!!  They are the ones who will benefit the MOST from a new coach!  They'd get to have 100 dollar season tix - floor seats at the MSG - with a potentially better product!  And those buddies of theirs on the team would be more likely to win, it's not like they'd lose their schollies!

Poison

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »

There was a big fan revolt against Mahoney, who had made a NCAA tourney, was BE coach of the year, was bringing in big recruits and was a nice guy to boot. Yes he was a bad coach, but Norm is an absolute disaster in EVERY way!!

Mahoney won coach of the year, and then the next year, they took it back from him.
He is a nice guy, but comparing him to Roberts is really like splitting atoms.

He was able to land the big recruits, or at  least so it seemed, but because he took a chance on a point guard that had absolutely no NY in him, he killed the team, and against any decent comp, we were blown out of the building.

Kind of like now.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
...I have NEVER rooted for the team to lose and never will...

Sorry if I misunderstood something you wrote earlier. I took it to mean you thought it was OK to root for the team to lose.

On the other board you wrote "The last thing we should hope for is our kids to give up. That would say something about their character and would give us problems going forward with whatever coach replaces Norm. It's one thing to root for our team to lose. But wearing the St. John's uniform should still be a sense of pride and honor, and rooting for them to "give up on their coach" is a horrible thing to wish for."

My apology.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
...I have NEVER rooted for the team to lose and never will...

Sorry if I misunderstood something you wrote earlier. I took it to mean you thought it was OK to root for the team to lose.

On the other board you wrote "The last thing we should hope for is our kids to give up. That would say something about their character and would give us problems going forward with whatever coach replaces Norm. It's one thing to root for our team to lose. But wearing the St. John's uniform should still be a sense of pride and honor, and rooting for them to "give up on their coach" is a horrible thing to wish for."

My apology.

All I meant by that is I can understand why people are rooting against the team right now, middle of the season, obvious we're going nowhere.  I would not do it because it guarantees nothing, but I'm not going to question fans that do...it has been and always will be my preference that Norm finally gets it, we sign Lance and get a committment from Doron Lamb from next year, team wins out and makes a run at 20 wins...but that's just not going to happen.  I'd question fans that did it from game 1...every season is a new one.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
I aint ever gonna root 'gainst St. John.

Thing is I aint gonna go outta my way to root fo St. John 'less they show me sometin.

Sad but that the way it turn fo this brother.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:37:43 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:01 PM »
Not a chance. I can't ever root against one of my teams.

Now, at the end of the day (if he's fired), I'll be glad that he's gone, but I'll never be happy about being around the basement of the Big East.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
Rooting against your team is just wrong and low.  Give Norm a break.  You try winning when your best player is out for the year, your floor general is out and you got a seven man rotational.  Also without Norm i doubt we would be in the hunt for Lance or land Omari.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
Also without Norm i doubt we would... land Omari.

Creditin the wrong coach.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »
Rooting against your team is just wrong and low.  Give Norm a break.  You try winning when your best player is out for the year, your floor general is out and you got a seven man rotational.  Also without Norm i doubt we would be in the hunt for Lance or land Omari.

Wow, you are just full of excuses aren't you? 

Norm should be coach of the year. 

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
Im not full of excuses, i just have hope in this team and think given the chance they will be better in the future, look what happened when we played ND. If that gives you no hope i don't know what you want

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »
the knicks beat the celtics this year.  it happens.  it won't happen twice.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »

I see a lot of lack of execution and my basketball philosophy sometimes differs from Norm's but the fact of the matter is he is the coach. I will compliment and critique where I see fit but others obsess and fault the coach when things should not be placed solely onto the coach. Honestly its possible I could benefit more with the site if Norm wasn't here so I have no agenda to keep Norm here. I think he is a really nice guy and I respect him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:04 AM »
I see a lot of lack of execution and my basketball philosophy sometimes differs from Norm's but the fact of the matter is he is the coach. I will compliment and critique where I see fit but others obsess and fault the coach when things should not be placed solely onto the coach. Honestly its possible I could benefit more with the site if Norm wasn't here so I have no agenda to keep Norm here. I think he is a really nice guy and I respect him.

I agree with you 100% and that is why I am labeled a “Normie” on the other site, but I do have one serious question…

If you went several hours North to Vermont this afternoon and evening, why the hell are you posting anything at this hour?

Go find a little ski bunny whose favorite color is RED (storm) and take one for the team!!!!

Let's go RED STORM!