If Norm had been replaced...

• 7 replies
If Norm had been replaced...
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
If Norm had been replaced before this season and under the new coach y'all saw:

- Team playing an offense tailored to its players - uptempo and with commitment and heart

- Team playing tough, tough d

- Clear signs of good coaching both on offense and defense (yes, it's there)

- Players improving

- Although hobbled by injuries, overall improvement & some nice wins

- A team with good, good kids who are committed to playing hard and are fun to watch

- Lawrence and Harvey signed, Stephenson possible

Would you be calling for the new coaches head?

And if not, then is your only objection to Norm the fact that it's taken a while? Maybe, just maybe, to do it right - to get from where we were to where we are - that's how long it takes!

Marillac

Re: If Norm had been replaced...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »

- Team playing an offense tailored to its players - uptempo and with commitment and heart

- Players improving

- A team with good, good kids who are committed to playing hard and are fun to watch

And if not, then is your only objection to Norm the fact that it's taken a while? Maybe, just maybe, to do it right - to get from where we were to where we are - that's how long it takes!

Are you kidding me?  We just lost 7/8 going into a game against 0-7 Rutgers at home, and even they had us in a one possession game with under two to go.  Where is this improvement?  We beat Providence last year and we lost by 21 this year even after going up 9-0!!!

Norm hasn't gotten the job done.  He hasn't even been adequate in one category of his job since he was hired.  What if Queens College followed your philosophy?  They would have never reached the heights they did with Pepsonakis or whatever his name is. 

He must go now. 

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
An easier schedule doesn't translate into improvement. 

If we brought in a new coach I would give him time--two years only--to get things turned around.  Five years and cruising for a 13 wins season is disgusting. 

FIVE YEARS.  How are you people so blind?  How in the world are some of you advocating giving him more time?  For the record, the Hamilton and Hill team would have DESTROYED this team.

Name the coach
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »
 If Norm is let go at the end of the season who would you want for the job?

My first choice would be Cal but dont know if he would come and I heard he wasnt really interested last time around but who knows. Plus its the big east over CUSA

In my opinion without a doubt Norm Roberts should be let go at the end of the season.  If a guy Like Calipari came in he would turn this program around by 2010 no doubt and with this teams talent and Mase coming back they could be a NCAA team next season. Not to mention Lance who Cal is recruiting a little bit.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »

- Players improving

Quality players transfer out like Calhoun and Wright. Why is it that in year 5, we're still "young"?

We aren't playing tough d. We play tough d at times, but never for a full game.

Every team has injuries, but when we lost our pg, there was no back up pg, because Norm Roberts didn't respond to a public announcement from Truck Bryant, a prototypical NYC pgwho actually said SJU is my first choice.

I would have fired him just for that. Everyone ripped Jarvis for ignoring Carl Krauser, including Carl Krauser, but this is much worse, because we are desperately missing a 2nd ball handler.

Yes, Horne and Kennedy have improved, but Burrell has regressed. Coker isn't playing like a 4 star recruit. He isn't playing like a 2 star recruit either. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

- Players improving

Are you joking me?  The new coach would be playing with someone else's players, he'd be in year 1/2 and not even had a chance to operate yet.  You are comparing apples and oranges.   We gave Norm a ton of leeway in year 3, just like a coach in year 1 now would deserve.  Norm is out of rope.  This doesn't cut it.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »

- Players improving

Are you joking me?  The new coach would be playing with someone else's players, he'd be in year 1/2 and not even had a chance to operate yet.  You are comparing apples and oranges.   We gave Norm a ton of leeway in year 3, just like a coach in year 1 now would deserve.  Norm is out of rope.  This doesn't cut it.
There's no way he doesn't get another year to potentially two if he lands the enigmatic Stephenson. They've tolerated five years of losing. What's another year or two of praying for mediocrity? It's just seven years down the urinal.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
The school is NOT going to fire Norm

The only way this will happen is if there is another scandal

If he was fired who would replace him?
No one can to give an answer