father harrington on the state of st johns basketball

• 38 replies

Re: father harrington on the state of st johns basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
Good job out of Lenn Robbins-a rare exclusive interview with Harrington, touching on the issue most fans are intrigued by.

Unfortunately for Roberts, Monasch was at the Super Bowl when St. John's surpassed its win total from a year ago.

How many other ADs, without even a D-III football team, could justify missing a conference game for either his flagship program or his women's team to attend a Super Bowl, let alone involving Arizona? Perhaps he can, at least, save some of his hard earned dollars by skipping his usual weekend session at Beach Bum Tans of Howard Beach.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »
how do you know he was at the super bowl?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »
Monasch could have watched the game here  :-\
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
how do you know he was at the super bowl?

The link provided above contains an article by Lenn Robbins. In it, Robbins mentions that the current athletic director wasn't at the game between his employer and USF, but, rather, in Tampa at today's Super Bowl.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:18:52 AM »
Pinstripes is just having an off day

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:50:20 AM »
I really found the comments to be rather uninteresting.

Many people get on Norm for saying such generic comments like "give them credit" or "this is the Big East" or "We're young" I think Harrington's comments were just as generic as well. What President isn't going to say he wants to see his team do well and is disappointed in losing? He wasn't too specific and basically we found out that he has a pulse and is breathing. All Harrington did was keep up appearances and we'll probably see him for his one token appearance sometime next year.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
A little different take on the situation from Roger Rubin

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/02/01/2009-02-01_st_johns_president_happy_with_norm_rober.html

St. John's president happy with Norm Roberts' progress with Red Storm
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 8:10 PM

The sex scandal is all but forgotten. There are no more under-the-table payments to players. The Rev. Donald J. Harrington, president of St. John's University, showers praise on coach Norm Roberts for cleaning up his basketball program and bringing in respectable, academically responsible players.

But he cannot deny that something is missing: the winning.

When asked Sunday about the importance of again being a force in the Big East, Harrington said: "It's very important. I'm the first one to say it's very important. I'm disappointed like anyone else is. I'd love to be at the top of the Big East. But these are complex things. It's a big conference. It's a tough conference. We'll keep doing our best."

"He's right. He's right. That's part of the job," Roberts said. "You gotta win and you gotta show progress and I think we are doing that. He wants us to win. He wants us to win bad, too. He probably wants us to win as much as we can and we're trying."

Whether Harrington's disappointment could ultimately cost Roberts his job remains to be seen. Sunday's 65-48 victory over South Florida put St. John's at 12-9, already over last season's win total.

But is a winning record at season's end essential?

"Honestly, that's not something I evaluate every day," Harrington said. "We'll see how the season goes like we did last year and at the end of the whole season we'll sit down with (AD) Chris Monasch and evaluate him. ... When we sit down and do a comprehensive evaluation, all of that will be on the table.

"Norm Roberts is our coach right now and I'd love to see him be our coach for a long, long time because he's a guy who embodies what we're about as a university. But at the same time Chris is our AD and it's much more complex and he has to put all things together. I'll see what he has to say about that."

Monasch usually attends every Red Storm game, but he was at the Super Bowl Sunday.

Harrington gave the interview at halftime at Carnesecca Arena, which again was barely half-full. He wants the program to be popular enough to sell out the way it used to. He said alumni have reacted with "a broad spectrum of satisfaction and dissatisfaction" and added "some are very pleased with the man that Norm is and ... some would like to see us win every game." But he said revenue generation was the program's least important role compared with national image and school spirit.

Roberts has cultivated a family atmosphere on the team and most players asked Sunday said they "love playing for him."

D.J. Kennedy pointed to the 12th win and added, "You can see we're improving."

When asked if the Johnnies could someday become an 18- or 20-win team, Roberts responded, "I hope we're an 18- or 20-win team right now."

"We're building a foundation like we've said all along," Roberts said. "We're not at the point where we're going to pick up five All-Americans ... but we could get one. We have to develop guys and ... we have been."

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
the biggest reason fh loves norm is the contrast between him and jarvis.  jarvis wouldn't even show up at the president's dinner...and no one is a bigger behind kisser than norm. 

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
the biggest reason fh loves norm is the contrast between him and jarvis.  jarvis wouldn't even show up at the president's dinner...and no one is a bigger behind kisser than norm.

why is Norm a butt kisser?

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
His comments werent a ringing endorsement of Norms progress. I think that if they do not get Stephenson or make the NCAA next year(a stretch I know) it will cost him his job. I like Norm and feel he was put in a tough spot. The program was in shambles after Jarvis left and he had to regress to progress. This is his team now however and they will be Juniors next year and mase will be back. So there will not be many excuses if they do not atleast get back to a winning record in the Big East. The loss to Cincinatti was huge because they had a double digit lead  and if they would have won that game,They would have  momentum going to Seton Hall this week and be mid pack in the Big East which would be an improvement over last year.
I say he gets one more year to land a big name or  keep improving steadily or he is gone.
Mike Jarvis sucks!!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/02/01/2009-02-01_st_johns_president_happy_with_norm_rober.html

BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The sex scandal is all but forgotten. There are no more under-the-table payments to players. The Rev. Donald J. Harrington, president of St. John's University, showers praise on coach Norm Roberts for cleaning up his basketball program and bringing in respectable, academically responsible players.

When asked Sunday about the importance of again being a force in the Big East, Harrington said: "It's very important. I'm the first one to say it's very important. I'm disappointed like anyone else is. I'd love to be at the top of the Big East. But these are complex things. It's a big conference. It's a tough conference. We'll keep doing our best."

"He's right. He's right. That's part of the job," Roberts said. "You gotta win and you gotta show progress and I think we are doing that. He wants us to win. He wants us to win bad, too. He probably wants us to win as much as we can and we're trying."

Whether Harrington's disappointment could ultimately cost Roberts his job remains to be seen. Sunday's 65-48 victory over South Florida put St. John's at 12-9, already over last season's win total.

"Honestly, that's not something I evaluate every day," Harrington said. "We'll see how the season goes like we did last year and at the end of the whole season we'll sit down with (AD) Chris Monasch and evaluate him. ... When we sit down and do a comprehensive evaluation, all of that will be on the table.

"Norm Roberts is our coach right now and I'd love to see him be our coach for a long, long time because he's a guy who embodies what we're about as a university. But at the same time Chris is our AD and it's much more complex and he has to put all things together. I'll see what he has to say about that."

Monasch usually attends every Red Storm game, but he was at the Super Bowl Sunday.

Harrington gave the interview at halftime at Carnesecca Arena, which again was barely half-full. He wants the program to be popular enough to sell out the way it used to. He said alumni have reacted with "a broad spectrum of satisfaction and dissatisfaction" and added "some are very pleased with the man that Norm is and ... some would like to see us win every game." But he said revenue generation was the program's least important role compared with national image and school spirit.

Roberts has cultivated a family atmosphere on the team and most players asked Sunday said they "love playing for him."

When asked if the Johnnies could someday become an 18- or 20-win team, Roberts responded, "I hope we're an 18- or 20-win team right now."

"We're building a foundation like we've said all along," Roberts said. "We're not at the point where we're going to pick up five All-Americans ... but we could get one. We have to develop guys and ... we have been."

In the past Father H's silence was always a positive for Norm. Since nothing has really changed in 5 years what would be the point of speaking out now with somewhat negative comments if the suckiness that is SJU basketball has not at least registered a blip on his radar?
I take these comments as a positive if not for this year than at least for the hope that Norm won't be around losing games forever!

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »

BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

In the past Father H's silence was always a positive for Norm. Since nothing has really changed in 5 years what would be the point of speaking out now with somewhat negative comments if the suckiness that is SJU basketball has not at least registered a blip on his radar?
I take these comments as a positive if not for this year than at least for the hope that Norm won't be around losing games forever!
That endless amount of faith in the wisdom and direction of Norm Roberts creates the bleak feeling among the fans I know.

It would've been a good follow-up question to ask Harrington what, in his mind, is the current perception of St. John's "national image."

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

That endless amount of faith in the wisdom and direction of Norm Roberts creates the bleak feeling among the fans I know.

It would've been a good follow-up question to ask Harrington what, in his mind, is the current perception of St. John's "national image."

The fact that he is addressing the situation at all in less than glowing terms is at least an improvement. Two years too late, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »

read his "suckup" quotes.  you never got those from jarvis...but then, jarvis could coach.

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »

read his "suckup" quotes.  you never got those from jarvis...but then, jarvis could coach.

I guess more or less thats what I was asking because I don't recall reading any quotes about him sucking up or kissing butt.

Tha Kid

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

I guess more or less thats what I was asking because I don't recall reading any quotes about him sucking up or kissing butt.

can't blame norm from kissing behind...this is his livelihood, he actually believes he can bring us back, and he makes a great living...if you're not winning your boss BETTER love you.  Jarvis won, so he had more leeway to needle FH and try to get things done on a larger scale...Norm doesn't have that luxury...he's being a smart individual.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 06:49:04 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

Poison

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

When was the last time we beat Uconn, Villanova, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Duke and oh yea, Hofstra?

Poison

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
Good job out of Lenn Robbins-a rare exclusive interview with Harrington, touching on the issue most fans are intrigued by.

Unfortunately for Roberts, Monasch was at the Super Bowl when St. John's surpassed its win total from a year ago.

How many other ADs, without even a D-III football team, could justify missing a conference game for either his flagship program or his women's team to attend a Super Bowl, let alone involving Arizona? Perhaps he can, at least, save some of his hard earned dollars by skipping his usual weekend session at Beach Bum Tans of Howard Beach.

Perhaps Monasch was out celebrating the great job he's done.

Oh wait, I forgot, the soccer team is great. And so is the women's hand ball team.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:08:32 PM by Poison »