father harrington on the state of st johns basketball

• 38 replies

Poison

Re: father harrington on the state of st johns basketball
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »
His comments werent a ringing endorsement of Norms progress. I think that if they do not get Stephenson or make the NCAA next year(a stretch I know) it will cost him his job. I like Norm and feel he was put in a tough spot. The program was in shambles after Jarvis left and he had to regress to progress. This is his team now however and they will be Juniors next year and mase will be back. So there will not be many excuses if they do not atleast get back to a winning record in the Big East. The loss to Cincinatti was huge because they had a double digit lead  and if they would have won that game,They would have  momentum going to Seton Hall this week and be mid pack in the Big East which would be an improvement over last year.
I say he gets one more year to land a big name or  keep improving steadily or he is gone.
Mike Jarvis sucks!!!!

No dude, Mike Jarvis doesn't suck. Father Harrington sucks.
Baylor had a player actually murder another player and they are an NCAA team right now.

Where did their excuses go?

The alumni telling Harrington that they are happy with Roberts should be ashamed of themselves for being so stupid. I actually don't believe any fan actually wants to see Roberts remain as the coach.

Great, Roberts cleaned up the program, but the point is to play basketball. 

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
the biggest reason fh loves norm is the contrast between him and jarvis.  jarvis wouldn't even show up at the president's dinner...and no one is a bigger behind kisser than norm.

why is Norm a butt kisser?
read his "suckup" quotes.  you never got those from jarvis...but then, jarvis could coach.

Jarvis could coach?

When was the last time we beat Uconn, Villanova, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Duke and oh yea, Hofstra?

I'd have to say it was last time St Johns had players on the payroll

Poison

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »
the biggest reason fh loves norm is the contrast between him and jarvis.  jarvis wouldn't even show up at the president's dinner...and no one is a bigger behind kisser than norm.

read his "suckup" quotes.  you never got those from jarvis...but then, jarvis could coach.

Jarvis could coach?

When was the last time we beat Uconn, Villanova, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Duke and oh yea, Hofstra?

Aaron Spears was a thug with a record. What criminal record did Marcus Hatten have before he came to SJU? Or any of our guys for that matter?

Easy to blame Jarvis for what happened, but the fact remains he had already been fired when everything went down.

It seems to me that the players were letting the University know by their behavior that they didn't care about the school. A problem that has plagued SJU since Harrington took over as president. Elijah Ingram and Abe Keita might have been great players, but at another school, like Uconn or Syracuse they wouldn't have been expelled for such a victimless crime.

At the time, I was in favor of getting rid of Jarvis, but it's clear now, that he was the devil we knew, and we were a relevant program when he was in charge of it.

We might not have been a powerhouse with Jarvis there, but he was not without talented players coming in for 04-05. Firing him mid season is really what destroyed this program. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:24:59 PM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

Aaron Spears was a thug with a record. What criminal record did Marcus Hatten have before he came to SJU? Or any of our guys for that matter?

Easy to blame Jarvis for what happened, but the fact remains he had already been fired when everything went down.

It seems to me that the players were letting the University know by their behavior that they didn't care about the school. A problem that has plagued SJU since Harrington took over as president. Elijah Ingram and Abe Keita might have been great players, but at another school, like Uconn or Syracuse they wouldn't have been expelled for such a victimless crime.

At the time, I was in favor of getting rid of Jarvis, but it's clear now, that he was the devil we knew, and we were a relevant program when he was in charge of it.

We might not have been a powerhouse with Jarvis there, but he was not without talented players coming in for 04-05. Firing him mid season is really what destroyed this program.

So these kids became thugs while under Jarvis' tutelege?

I disagree, hiring Jarvis is what destroyed the program. 

Poison

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

What happened under Jarvis that was so terrible?
a little pot smoking? part of college. who did willie shaw hurt?

The real trouble began once he stopped teaching. He encouraged kids to work hard on and off the court. Applauded the work ethic of andre stanley—who walked on, and commuted over 2 hours to get to school.

Seems to me he had more seniors than roberts.

If you really want to blame this on a hiring/firing try harrington's insane firing of Fran Fraschilla. No coach could evaluate talent like he could. He landed the 3 best players we've had since Sealy.

And what did he do that was so wrong? Look for another job? This is America, and that was his right.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:16:03 PM by Poison »

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

The real trouble began once he stopped teaching. He encouraged kids to work hard on and off the court. Applauded the work ethic of andre stanley—who walked on, and commuted over 2 hours to get to school.

If you really want to blame this on a hiring/firing try harrington's insane firing of Fran Fraschilla. No coach could evaluate talent like he could. He landed the 3 best players we've had since Sealy.

And what did he do that was so wrong? Look for another job? This is America, and that was his right.

Of Course Jarvis is going to applaud Stanley.No slight on Stanley, but he was a walkon because he wasnt good enough for a schooly. Again thats not a criticism of the kid, just a fact.
Lets not forget about Grady Reynolds, Sharif Fordham to mention 2. These guys are pure thug who beat women and dealt drugs. That also is sadly a fact, so I too would applaud Andre Stanley if I were Jarvis

Poison

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

Of Course Jarvis is going to applaud Stanley.No slight on Stanley, but he was a walkon because he wasnt good enough for a schooly. Again thats not a criticism of the kid, just a fact.
Lets not forget about Grady Reynolds, Sharif Fordham to mention 2. These guys are pure thug who beat women and dealt drugs. That also is sadly a fact, so I too would applaud Andre Stanley if I were Jarvis

Sharif Fordham was arrested well after he left our program.

Grady Reynolds was a thug no different than Eric Devondorf.

Andre Stanley would be our starting point guard right now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:50:41 PM by Dave »

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »

Jarvis could coach?

Sharif Fordham was arrested well after he left our program.

Grady Reynolds was a thug no different than Eric Devondorf.

Andre Stanley would be our starting point guard right now.

Not sure why your making excuses for these 2 guys but thats your opinion.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:50:19 PM by Dave »

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
I thought Aaron Spears was pretty scummy too but he was mild in comparison to Grady Reynolds.

Grady Reynolds was a slime ball. At parties he would just go up to ramdom girls and either touch them inappropriately or say some downright inappropriate things(people did double takes all the time going did he really just do that?).

I liked Andre Stanley on the court really didn't know much about him off the court but in no way would he be our starting PG.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
I thought Aaron Spears was pretty scummy too but he was mild in comparison to Grady Reynolds.

Grady Reynolds was a slime ball. At parties he would just go up to ramdom girls and either touch them inappropriately or say some downright inappropriate things(people did double takes all the time going did he really just do that?).

I liked Andre Stanley on the court really didn't know much about him off the court but in no way would he be our starting PG.

Ya Stanley might steal minutes from Edmondson. Poison, have you been drinking today? ;)

Poison

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »

The only way Andre would start for us is if he was on the team.
Are you actually implying that Malik Boothe is a Big East pg?

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »

Ya Stanley might steal minutes from Edmondson. Poison, have you been drinking today? ;)

Sorry, I have not been. Sorry for me.

Malik Boothe couldn't guard Andre Stanley, or anyone for that matter.
Stanley had his way with Seton Hall when they were a decent team. Let's see how Malik Boothe in Big East play this Thursday.

I bet Harvey runs rings around him.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »

The only way Andre would start for us is if he was on the team.
Are you actually implying that Malik Boothe is a Big East pg?

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
Since when was Andre Stanley a Point Guard?

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »
no one is saying jarvis should have had his contract renewed. 

the truth is, the team will never be as good as the jarvis years as long as norm is the coach.

you can blame jarvis all you want for the thugs...

but whose fault is it that st john's had a priest whacking off on the internet and sending the pix to teenage boys...father harrington's. 

the bottom line is you can't control what people do on their own time.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

Is it possible to contrast any more then Jaris and Norm.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
Since when was Andre Stanley a Point Guard?

What was he a center? He kept up with Big East talent.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »
His comments werent a ringing endorsement of Norms progress. I think that if they do not get Stephenson or make the NCAA next year(a stretch I know) it will cost him his job. I like Norm and feel he was put in a tough spot. The program was in shambles after Jarvis left and he had to regress to progress. This is his team now however and they will be Juniors next year and mase will be back. So there will not be many excuses if they do not atleast get back to a winning record in the Big East. The loss to Cincinatti was huge because they had a double digit lead  and if they would have won that game,They would have  momentum going to Seton Hall this week and be mid pack in the Big East which would be an improvement over last year.
I say he gets one more year to land a big name or  keep improving steadily or he is gone.
Mike Jarvis sucks!!!!

No dude, Mike Jarvis doesn't suck. Father Harrington sucks.
Baylor had a player actually murder another player and they are an NCAA team right now.

Where did their excuses go?

The alumni telling Harrington that they are happy with Roberts should be ashamed of themselves for being so stupid. I actually don't believe any fan actually wants to see Roberts remain as the coach.

Great, Roberts cleaned up the program, but the point is to play basketball.

Poison... I am not trying to defend Norm in anyway. However, I am tring to be fair and I think using the Baylor comparison is like comparing apples to bananas. They are both fruit... but not the same!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:20:46 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »

I still remember seeing Grady choking some girl in the hallway and screaming at her. He was defintely a low life.