An Exodus of Players if Norm Leaves? Lenn Robbins Thinks So

• 22 replies
Re: An Exodus of Players if Norm Leaves? Lenn Robbins Thinks So
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:55 PM »
I think the school would grant a release of the players. Anyways just because it wasn't printed doesn't mean that the kids didn't say it. Either way I don't like media talking to our players about this in the middle of the BE season. Let the kid's focus on something they can control like playing ball games.

Dave, what world do you live in?  Schools don't even release recruits who sign LOIs and NEVER get to play for the coach that recruited them.  why in the world would a school grant a release to a current player because the coach was fired?  You really sound naive sometimes.

Omari and Dwight would struggle to get releases, and may not be able to.  DJ and Paris NEVER would - would have to transfer and sit out 1 year like anyone else.

I should have said, "I think the school would have to grant a release to the players." My apologies for the confusion.

Recruits have it easier granting releases. See Tyshwan Taylor of Kansas who committed to Marquette but was granted a release upon Crean's departure. He is playing this year for Kansas.

OK - now your post makes more sense.  I don't think a current player can be released though - they have to transfer and sit out like everyone else.  Up to the NCAA whether to waive the year sit-out - sure maybe the school askign them to waive it would go a long way but that never happens.

Recruits have a MUCH easier time getting released, but not all of them do.

Agreed. I'll stress your point from before this is a very misleading article title. Poor job by the Post.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
I think the school would grant a release of the players. Anyways just because it wasn't printed doesn't mean that the kids didn't say it. Either way I don't like media talking to our players about this in the middle of the BE season. Let the kid's focus on something they can control like playing ball games.

Dave, what world do you live in?  Schools don't even release recruits who sign LOIs and NEVER get to play for the coach that recruited them.  why in the world would a school grant a release to a current player because the coach was fired?  You really sound naive sometimes.

Omari and Dwight would struggle to get releases, and may not be able to.  DJ and Paris NEVER would - would have to transfer and sit out 1 year like anyone else.

I should have said, "I think the school would have to grant a release to the players." My apologies for the confusion.

Recruits have it easier granting releases. See Tyshwan Taylor of Kansas who committed to Marquette but was granted a release upon Crean's departure. He is playing this year for Kansas.

OK - now your post makes more sense.  I don't think a current player can be released though - they have to transfer and sit out like everyone else.  Up to the NCAA whether to waive the year sit-out - sure maybe the school askign them to waive it would go a long way but that never happens.

Recruits have a MUCH easier time getting released, but not all of them do.

When Luke Recker of Indiana transferred to supposedly be closer to his paralyzed girlfriend who lived in Iowa, Bobby Knight was angry at the NCAA for waiving the policy and also stopped talking to Steve Alford who was the Iowa coach. All class that Bobby Knight ::)

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
The NCAA hasn't been as lenient recently, due to those aforementioned abuses of actual "hardship cases."

If they bring in a top-flight head coach (someone that can overshadow Lou Carnesecca), then let these players run away. It's like the Branch Rickey line to Ralph Kiner, "We finished last with you and we can finish last without you." This would just clear out some scholarship space. Monasch can't be threatened by these 20-24 year olds.