a steady rotation

• 22 replies

kob24

a steady rotation
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »
all seriousness if u guys had a chance to coach what would ur rotation look like. i think coach is having a huge problem with this right now. mine would probaly look something like this
pg- eugene
sg-larry
sf-dj
pf-mason
c-just blaze
off the bench malik, paris,rob, dele. thats it. im cutting the rotation to 9 players come big east tourney. nothing against the other guys but these guys are gonna help u win games. oooh im also cutting genos minutes and handing them to larry and malik.

Randomhero423

Re: a steady rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »
big east tourney? that's if we make it...

kob24

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:08:03 AM »
nnnnnnoooooooooooo may bad i meant big east season

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »
Well I think people first off have to understand the difference between steady rotation and substitutions.

I agree mostly with you kob24

PG-Geno
SG-Wright
SF-DJ
PF-Mason
C--Burrell

Would be my starting 5

Here is my rotational lineup based upon a three string depth chart

Geno-Malik-Geno
Wright-DJ-Horne
DJ-Mason-Horne
Mason-Burrell-Evans
Burrell-Tomas-Evans

I'll explain...Malik gets backup minutes at the point I do not want any player besides Geno or Malik running the point although I wish Larry would step up and be a PG.

For the 2/3 Positions I would like to see a rotation of Wright, DJ, Mason. I do like Paris coming in at certain situations as compliment to DJ/Wright but Mason must see max minutes.

4/5 positions. I do not like Mason at the 4 however he might be by default at times. Justin moves to natural PF position in favor of yes Tomas going in at the 5. I value Tomas more than Dele because of his finishing abilities, free throw shooting, rebounding, passing, and hands. I also think Tomas defends the pick and roll better as well as set better screens. My Paris of the big men is Sean Evans I do think he provides a good situational sub due to matchups where as Dele is more of a sub to keep your other bigs out of foul trouble.

****Notes

DJ hasn't been as good of a rebounder at the 2 position since the return of Mason.

Geno/Malik combo hasn't been on the court together too much lately

Evans is seeing more time and more success

Tomas is playing more of a role in the offense

Yes I know I did not include Rob Thomas anywhere in this list because I really don't think he is much of a factor quite yet and think he will be brought along slowly with more practices under his belt.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »
all seriousness if u guys had a chance to coach what would ur rotation look like. i think coach is having a huge problem with this right now. mine would probaly look something like this
pg- eugene
sg-larry
sf-dj
pf-mason
c-just blaze
off the bench malik, paris,rob, dele. thats it. im cutting the rotation to 9 players come big east tourney. nothing against the other guys but these guys are gonna help u win games. oooh im also cutting genos minutes and handing them to larry and malik.

that line up will get hammered on the back boards and in the low block on defense....

for as much as people dislike Tomas. . he nees to play..     he plays hard..   plays average but effective defense and is a solid passer...     

JB can't not defend the 5 slot in the conference. . maybe for a few minutes per game he can fill in but not big minutes...    he is a power forward and should be left alone in that slot...   

and Mason just isn't strong enough to defend at power forward..    he will create a defense problem for other teams if they try and use a 4 to cover him but any team can just let DJ stay on the perimeter and shoot the ball because he has a weaker jumper...

I am not sure what the rotation should be but you need Tomas contributing...   

kob24

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
this lineup would give any team a problem. and justin can guard a center he did it all year last year. hes gonna end up guarding them any way cause dele and tomas are always in foul trouble

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
this lineup would give any team a problem. and justin can guard a center he did it all year last year. hes gonna end up guarding them any way cause dele and tomas are always in foul trouble

Kob. . we both know being 6'8 and guarding centers in high school or prep school is a different world then guarding centers in the Big East...

Justin shouldn't and with all due respect can't consistently guard the 5 in the Big East...    making him do that is bad for his development as a player and bad for the team...

southernjohnny

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:07:01 PM »
pg- eugene
sg-larry
sf-dj
pf-mason
c-just blaze
  this lineup will get us murdered in the big east...out rebounded, Burrell would foul out every game...mason would get killed...
 you need to keep guys at their strength...Burrell strength is at power forward...Tomas strength is at center, Mason strength is at small forward...you move guys out of position and you weaken an already weak team...
 lineup should be
 pg Geno(ouch i said it)
 sg Wright
 sf Mason jr
 pf Burrell
 c Tomas

6th man kennedy
7th man Horne
8th man Thomas(by mid Feb. he should be good to go)
  you need to keep Mason jr, Burrell, and Wright on the floor for 30 minutes...these are your scorers...Kennedy looked great against the NEC, this is the big east...Ricky Torres looked ok against the NEC...and he cant find a school now...not saying Kennedy is not gonna grow into a big east player, i think he will, but he needs time....too many turnovers ....

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »
pg- eugene
sg-larry
sf-dj
pf-mason
c-just blaze
  this lineup will get us murdered in the big east...out rebounded, Burrell would foul out every game...mason would get killed...
 you need to keep guys at their strength...Burrell strength is at power forward...Tomas strength is at center, Mason strength is at small forward...you move guys out of position and you weaken an already weak team...
 lineup should be
 pg Geno(ouch i said it)
 sg Wright
 sf Mason jr
 pf Burrell
 c Tomas

6th man kennedy
7th man Horne
  you need to keep Mason jr, Burrell, and Wright on the floor for 30 minutes...these are your scorers...Kennedy looked great against the NEC, this is the big east...Ricky Torres looked ok against the NEC...and he cant find a school now...not saying Kennedy is not gonna grow into a big east player, i think he will, but he needs time....too many turnovers ....

Agreed, SJ.  Only thing is - Wright had the same dropoff as Kennedy between NEC to real opponents, and ennedy at least does the little things better.  I'm not sure Larry deserves 30 mins a game but him and Kennedy at least deserve 20-25 each up to 30...giving Larry 15 in spurts not allowing him to get into any sort of rhythm is just crazy.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
Well I think people first off have to understand the difference between steady rotation and substitutions.

I agree mostly with you kob24

PG-Geno
SG-Wright
SF-DJ
PF-Mason
C--Burrell

Would be my starting 5

Here is my rotational lineup based upon a three string depth chart

Geno-Malik-Geno
Wright-DJ-Horne
DJ-Mason-Horne
Mason-Burrell-Evans
Burrell-Tomas-Evans

I'll explain...Malik gets backup minutes at the point I do not want any player besides Geno or Malik running the point although I wish Larry would step up and be a PG.

For the 2/3 Positions I would like to see a rotation of Wright, DJ, Mason. I do like Paris coming in at certain situations as compliment to DJ/Wright but Mason must see max minutes.

4/5 positions. I do not like Mason at the 4 however he might be by default at times. Justin moves to natural PF position in favor of yes Tomas going in at the 5. I value Tomas more than Dele because of his finishing abilities, free throw shooting, rebounding, passing, and hands. I also think Tomas defends the pick and roll better as well as set better screens. My Paris of the big men is Sean Evans I do think he provides a good situational sub due to matchups where as Dele is more of a sub to keep your other bigs out of foul trouble.

****Notes

DJ hasn't been as good of a rebounder at the 2 position since the return of Mason.

Geno/Malik combo hasn't been on the court together too much lately

Evans is seeing more time and more success

Tomas is playing more of a role in the offense

Yes I know I did not include Rob Thomas anywhere in this list because I really don't think he is much of a factor quite yet and think he will be brought along slowly with more practices under his belt.

You gotta give Dele time.  He is a project but he has some nice moves andj ust needs game experience.  We are not going to be worldbeaters by any stretch of the imagination so Dele should be seeing 10-15 mins per game at the C, foul permitting, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

southernjohnny

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
pg- eugene
sg-larry
sf-dj
pf-mason
c-just blaze
 lineup should be
 pg Geno(ouch i said it)
 sg Wright
 sf Mason jr
 pf Burrell
 c Tomas

6th man kennedy
7th man Horne

Agreed, SJ.  Only thing is - Wright had the same dropoff as Kennedy between NEC to real opponents, and ennedy at least does the little things better.  I'm not sure Larry deserves 30 mins a game but him and Kennedy at least deserve 20-25 each up to 30...giving Larry 15 in spurts not allowing him to get into any sort of rhythm is just crazy.
  well i dont know where you want to play Kennedy, but he either backs up mason jr, or he backs up Wright...and if he backs up wright, i would prefer Wrights 3 point shot at this time, and Wright already played big east schedule, although not many minutes last season, he still was there..and he does not turn the ball over as often as kennedy does..

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
i say you put the lineup like this at first:

PG: EL/Boothe
SG: LW/Horne
SF: AMJR/DJ
PF: JB/Evans
C: Tomas/Coker

that's all who plays for the first 3-5 games of BE play.  From there, if we're getting blasted, we start to let Boothe, DJ and Coker play a lot more.  And bring Rob Thomas back.  You put lawrence on a EXTREMELY tight leash.  and you see what cav can contribute too.

southernjohnny

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »

that's all who plays for the first 3-5 games of BE play.  From there, if we're getting blasted, we start to let Boothe, DJ and Coker play a lot more.  And bring Rob Thomas back.  You put lawrence on a EXTREMELY tight leash.  and you see what cav can contribute too.
  you sound like Norm , very confused...we need to shorten the rotation....very much so...and Thomas is a stud, so he has to be included....

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »

you sound like Norm , very confused...we need to shorten the rotation....very much so...and Thomas is a stud, so he has to be included....

norm has played 10+ guys each game.    every player needs a backup.. 

minutes will go like this
EL- 25, Boothe- 15
LW- 35, DJ-5
AMJR- 35, DJ- 5
JB- 30, Thomas- 10
C- Tomas- 20, Coker- 15, JB- 5

how is that "very confused"/norm like?

kjd01067

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:10 PM »

norm has played 10+ guys each game.    every player needs a backup.. 

minutes will go like this
EL- 25, Boothe- 15
LW- 35, DJ-5
AMJR- 35, DJ- 5
JB- 30, Thomas- 10
C- Tomas- 20, Coker- 15, JB- 5

how is that "very confused"/norm like?

Yea im confused how does boothe get 15 mins and DJ gets 10 ???

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »
dj don't play point.

kob24

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »

Kob. . we both know being 6'8 and guarding centers in high school or prep school is a different world then guarding centers in the Big East...

Justin shouldn't and with all due respect can't consistently guard the 5 in the Big East...    making him do that is bad for his development as a player and bad for the team...

i agree with highschool but not prep. all a prep school player is  is a college freshman working on his grades. this line would cause problems if coached right. i know yall say mason cant guard a pf but what pf can guard him ? its called a small line up. if coach uses the team like it should be used they would be pushing the ball and pressing. but he dosent. we walk it up and we dont use our athletes. i believe the team is better fit for running than walking it up with out any set plays.or using a fake press and playin some unknown half court defense.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

i agree with highschool but not prep. all a prep school player is  is a college freshman working on his grades. this line would cause problems if coached right. i know yall say mason cant guard a pf but what pf can guard him ? its called a small line up. if coach uses the team like it should be used they would be pushing the ball and pressing. but he dosent. we walk it up and we dont use our athletes. i believe the team is better fit for running than walking it up with out any set plays.or using a fake press and playin some unknown half court defense.

Totally agree with your assesment of how the team SHOULD play BUT when Eugene Lawrence is logging a majority of minutes at the point..   you better not be pushing the ball up the court because you will have 5 T/O's for every assist...    Malik could run a team playing that way but not Geno...

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment that Burrell can guard the 5 & Mason Jr the 4 in the Big East....   both will be in constant foul trouble and that will even further limit and already limited offensive team...

kob24

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:05 AM »

Totally agree with your assesment of how the team SHOULD play BUT when Eugene Lawrence is logging a majority of minutes at the point..   you better not be pushing the ball up the court because you will have 5 T/O's for every assist...    Malik could run a team playing that way but not Geno...

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment that Burrell can guard the 5 & Mason Jr the 4 in the Big East....   both will be in constant foul trouble and that will even further limit and already limited offensive team...

understood but let me ask ur opinon. with the way the team is not saying its a big east built team or isnt. but with its current players on the roster. given all their strengths and weaknesses what kind style of ball do u think they should be playing. im talking about putting out the best 5 and given a type of style they can use on a constant basis to win games.

***you used the quotes wrong I just fixed it jj
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:46:25 AM by JJ »

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »

understood but let me ask ur opinon. with the way the team is not saying its a big east built team or isnt. but with its current players on the roster. given all their strengths and weaknesses what kind style of ball do u think they should be playing. im talking about putting out the best 5 and given a type of style they can use on a constant basis to win games.

***you used the quotes wrong I just fixed it jj

That is a tough question to answer...    especially with this group...

Personally..   I would give Malik more minutes and push a little more while he is in the game...   he knows how to get the ball to players in position to score....  the teams big issue and has been for years is a lack of consistent outside shooting....

I would not play Burrell at center... especially this year...    the team is not good and playing him at the 5 will only hinder his development and Norm needs to develop players...    it is something he hasn't shown he is capable of yet.... 

If Norm had a system in place that he was teaching year in, year out at least the freshman would be getting used to it and learning sometthing to carry forward....   but he doesn't have a consistent philosophy to teach and goes game to game....

Having the 5 best players on the floor is something you want to achieve but with this group I really think it is VERY difficult and having all 5 out there this year will have the team beaten down in the paint and not be good overall...    you have to play the game with your players and unfortunately St. John's players are just not that good, this year...   they will hopefully develop but the team is undermanned this year...   its not a bash either. . just reality...