Buzz Williams

• 2 replies
Buzz Williams
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
It was a treat listening to him pre and post game. He sounds like he has a real coaching mentality and is very passionate about what he does. What impressed me most was the fact he ripped off stats and numbers on a wimb. He knew how many offensive rebounds St. John's averaged per game and how many points we scored off those. After the game he knew how many offensive rebounds we had in the first half and how many points we scored off of it. He had a game plan. He also knew how many points, reb, blks John Garcia had earlier against UConn, he knew the percentage of Jimmy Butler's rebounds that produced points to the tenth of a decimal(54.6% or something like that). He seemed very knowledgable and like he eat, breathe, sleeps hoops.

On the other hand we get very general quotes from Norm all the time. "They like to pressure the ball" "They like to get out and run" "They're really tough defensively"

Nothing is ever precise with Norm. We get John Madden video game like announcing quotes from him far too often. "If you score more points than the other team then you have a good chance at winning" I wish I knew how much time they spent looking and analyzing film. I know they do but I wonder how much in detail. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Buzz Williams
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
It was a treat listening to him pre and post game. He sounds like he has a real coaching mentality and is very passionate about what he does. What impressed me most was the fact he ripped off stats and numbers on a wimb. He knew how many offensive rebounds St. John's averaged per game and how many points we scored off those. After the game he knew how many offensive rebounds we had in the first half and how many points we scored off of it. He had a game plan. He also knew how many points, reb, blks John Garcia had earlier against UConn, he knew the percentage of Jimmy Butler's rebounds that produced points to the tenth of a decimal(54.6% or something like that). He seemed very knowledgable and like he eat, breathe, sleeps hoops.

On the other hand we get very general quotes from Norm all the time. "They like to pressure the ball" "They like to get out and run" "They're really tough defensively"

Nothing is ever precise with Norm. We get John Madden video game like announcing quotes from him far too often. "If you score more points than the other team then you have a good chance at winning" I wish I knew how much time they spent looking and analyzing film. I know they do but I wonder how much in detail.

That's because there is nothing left for Norm to say.  All of the excuses that fans have continually heard over the last 5 years have been used time and time again.  Two years ago, they were all about injuries.  Last year, they were all about the abundance of youth.  Now what?  True, Mason hurt himself early on.  But almost every team in the Big East has suffered a bad injury at one point this season and managed to fight through it.  Norm can't use the youth excuse either since there have been teams - Cincinnati comes to mind - that have beaten SJU who have also been younger.

Bottom line is that this team does have the talent nor the coach behind the bench to win.  Do they have a few solid players?  Yes.  Do they have enough solid players to be a threat next year?  Absolutely not.  For those who are thinking that maybe the incoming freshmen will change that (Omari, Dwight, and possibly Lance), the answer is no.  We've heard the same thing every year since he's been here.  It's over and I hope the administration is bright enough to understand that.  The time for under-the-radar coaches is over.  Been there, done that.  It's time to bring in someone who knows what the hell he's doing.

Marillac

Re: Buzz Williams
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
Williams is an impressive coch.  Next year his cupboard will be bare, though.  He'll have less talent that STJ.  I'd like to see how he recruits and develops his players to make up for losing three NBA caliber guards and other seniors.