Newsday: Pecora May Look for Exit

• 38 replies

pmg911

Re: Newsday: Pecora May Look for Exit
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
Way to bring that Steve Robinson crap from another board.  I call BS on that assistant; no idea why he would get a look.

From the other board..  what is that supposed to mean...   

and if it was directed at me..  I was not hte first person to mention Steve Robinson...
pmg, in no manner am I calling you out!  Good grief, people. 

First: "from the other board" means "from the other Message board," a commonly used appellation for any of the other sites St. John's fans use to air their gripes; many times on other message boards, members fdo not call another board's name but use the oblique "the other board."  In this case it was BEB.

Second, I agree that you were not the first person to mention Robinson.  As stated earlier, I think his name was brought up out of nearly thin air - certainly he is a college basketball assistant but not one mentioned for job openings (like Michigan State's Mark Montgomery was at times last year).  I said nothing of you bringing his name up, I never referred to anything you said here as BS, and it's not directed at you.

Sorry if I just went a little off there, but pmg, I didn't refer to you in any way, shape, or fashion.  You're looking for arguments that aren't there.  I am not even sure if you had any strong opinion on the guy!

Apologies. . didn't mean to come across the wrong way...

also..  i am very defensive about BEB..    if you can't tell..

I have no opinon of Robinson other than him him being the #1 assistant at a major power...   that alone might get him some looks..    if the guy has any ambition, he would be looking himself...

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »
Let's not get crazy about Pecora; just a year ago Hofstra was 12-18 and his overall record at Hofstra is 132-109.

He's an upgrade from Coach Roberts and I would certainly be more optomistic about his hire than I would if Steve Robinson or Mark Jackson were hired.

As of now, I see Seth Greenberg, Bob McKillop, Fran McCaffery, Brad Stevens, and Brian Gregory as the most likely candidates, assuming there's no interest by Calipari, Miller or Knight.

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.
:-\

As the top assistant on North Carolina the guy is going to get looks..    maybe not here but it's not out of the question that he will be spoken to if SJU comes looking after the season.

Choz..  if Norm is let go. . who would your top choice be..?

Never impress wit his FSU team right after the glory dayz wit Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell and Bobby Sura.

As fo who should be coach. Too poliical right now to give my endorsement.

But I will say this right here: the brother should be hungry and show some success at winnin at the DI level as a head coach.

Dont want no retreads. Up and comer wit a track record. Dont even care if he come from NYC.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
Let's not get crazy about Pecora; just a year ago Hofstra was 12-18 and his overall record at Hofstra is 132-109.

He's an upgrade from Coach Roberts and I would certainly be more optomistic about his hire than I would if Steve Robinson or Mark Jackson were hired.

As of now, I see Seth Greenberg, Bob McKillop, Fran McCaffery, Brad Stevens, and Brian Gregory as the most likely candidates, assuming there's no interest by Calipari, Miller or Knight.

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

As the top assistant on North Carolina the guy is going to get looks..    maybe not here but it's not out of the question that he will be spoken to if SJU comes looking after the season.

If we hire Steve Robinson, I am done as a fan.  His ACC record was 25-55, Norm's Big East record going into Marquette was 23-55.  The guy was boo'd heavily for two years and they chanted for his firing.  It would be a bigger mistake than hiring Norm because of the timing. 

sjd8886

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »
call me crazy but i just want a smart coach in here...if that happens, and players stay he'll have a nice foundation of 3 and 4 star recruits to work with, and a smart coach will win enough with those types of players to recruit at st johns, granted the guy can have some sort of relationship with the local and aau coaches...idk, am i way off on this one?

Poison

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »

He would turn guys like Burrell, Evans and Coker into Big East players.

I posted on another thread that I am warming up to Pecora but what makes you think he will make Burrell, Evans & Coker better players...   

Its not like his teams are lighting it up in the CAA..?

They get better as the season goes on. What would make me think that he would turn our guys into better players? He's turned Greg Washington into a pretty good player. Not a great one, but he only has so much talent, and he's making it work for him.

The CAA is am good conference. Right there with the A10. Hofstra may not be great every year, but they are always in it. They were lousy last year, but it's fait to say that he needed rebuild, and he did just that.

We lost all of our guys, and last year we were garbage.
This year, we're still garbage.

And as of right now, Hofstra is 18-9. A pretty good spot to be in.
They could win the conference tourney. Absolutely possible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:33:42 PM by Poison »

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Never impress wit his FSU team right after the glory dayz wit Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell and Bobby Sura.

But I will say this right here: the brother should be hungry and show some success at winnin at the DI level as a head coach.

Dont want no retreads. Up and comer wit a track record. Dont even care if he come from NYC.

Choz......if Norm goes do you think coaches Cross and Young stay at SJU ? Given some time I think they will really help the program.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Choz......if Norm goes do you think coaches Cross and Young stay at SJU ? Given some time I think they will really help the program.

Any staff better include those two. It was the smartest move Norm ever made. 

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Both are nice guys, but so is Norm. How do we know it's a smart move?

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Because they are connected.  Furthermore, cutting them out will automatically start the new coach in a hole with certain programs and schools.  It will only get worse if they then fill out their staff with other AAU or high school coaches, because those not chosen will hold a grudge like the last time with Norm. 

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Because they are connected.  Furthermore, cutting them out will automatically start the new coach in a hole with certain programs and schools.  It will only get worse if they then fill out their staff with other AAU or high school coaches, because those not chosen will hold a grudge like the last time with Norm.

Start out in a hole like Norm did?

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:55 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

By his own mishandling of the situation, yes. 

pmg911

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

EXACTLY. . he put himself in the hole. . he could have had several well connected guys on staff and Norm REFUSED to hire any of them...

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 07:48:46 AM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

EXACTLY. . he put himself in the hole. . he could have had several well connected guys on staff and Norm REFUSED to hire any of them...

I can agree with that. He made some bad choices right away,but the cubbard was pretty bare in the talent department upon arrival

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »
Norm also didn't even reply to some very connected applicants.  Not a good move. 

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »

Brother here showin some insight.

Tricky situation all 'round. St. John force Fran Fraschilla to keep on Ron Rutlege. A lil tension there.

You wanna be the chef. You wanna choose all the ingredients, know what I'm sayin.

Thing is the boys is at some pretty low level positions so it aint like an top assistant job is already accounted for. Plus they is key to the '10 class that is if they is any schollies to give.

Later.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

Brother here showin some insight.

Tricky situation all 'round. St. John force Fran Fraschilla to keep on Ron Rutlege. A lil tension there.

You wanna be the chef. You wanna choose all the ingredients, know what I'm sayin.

Thing is the boys is at some pretty low level positions so it aint like an top assistant job is already accounted for. Plus they is key to the '10 class that is if they is any schollies to give.

Later.

It will be very interesting to me to see how the 2010 class plays out. All three of those St. Anthony players, Collier, Pankey & Williams, have ties to Kiami Young but they are all under Bob Hurley's guidance right now..    who will they ultimately listen to because Hurley is certainly not going to steer them directly to SJU...

Choz, you are right about "wanting to pick his own ingridents" but a good cook knows to pick quality ingridents, not 2nd rate products..

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Agree........they need to remain on the staff and this should factor heavily into the process.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »

Steve Robinson?
C'mon now.

Agree........they need to remain on the staff and this should factor heavily into the process.
Would fans actually object if these two were dumped for Mo Hicks, the state-title winning head coach at Rice and current head of the Gauchos, and either a veteran college coach or another AAU head in order to create a strong basketball pipeline from another basketball rich city/area?

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
The right coach, who ever it may be, will not need guys like Cross & young...

That being said, I would have no problem keeping one of them as a video coordinator or in some other low level capacity...