Duke said it...

• 25 replies
Duke said it...
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
I pulled this off a Duke website....

At game and I've never seen such a weak crowd. Honestly the most noise was the T-shirt toss.

Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way. You can argue we have nothing to cheer about but I think thats bullshit. Why are you at the game if you don't want to root your team on? Our fans are weak! I've been to church services louder than most St. John's game and I'm not baptist!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Duke said it...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

At game and I've never seen such a weak crowd. Honestly the most noise was the T-shirt toss.

Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way. You can argue we have nothing to cheer about but I think thats bullshit. Why are you at the game if you don't want to root your team on? Our fans are weak! I've been to church services louder than most St. John's game and I'm not baptist!

Probably the worst fans in D1 basketball

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »

If there was something to cheer about, believe me it would be loud.  Were you at any games during the Artest era?  The place was ROCKING.  Even during the Hatten era, it was insane. 

I remember walking in late from my intersnhip to the Miami game and the place was INSANE.  Sold out Carnasecca and it was literally shaking. 

I also remember a Uconn game at the Garden where it was actually 70-30 STJ fans in a packed arena.  I thought the place was going to fall down there was so much vibaration.  There were back and forth wars between STJ and Uconn fans.  It was awesome.

This team sucks right now.  There is just no hope.  No NCAA, no NIT.  Most fans don't want to cheer because they want Norm gone. Why show support to this clown?

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

If there was something to cheer about, believe me it would be loud.  Were you at any games during the Artest era?  The place was ROCKING.  Even during the Hatten era, it was insane. 

I remember walking in late from my intersnhip to the Miami game and the place was INSANE.  Sold out Carnasecca and it was literally shaking. 

I also remember a Uconn game at the Garden where it was actually 70-30 STJ fans in a packed arena.  I thought the place was going to fall down there was so much vibaration.  There were back and forth wars between STJ and Uconn fans.  It was awesome.

This team sucks right now.  There is just no hope.  No NCAA, no NIT.  Most fans don't want to cheer because they want Norm gone. Why show support to this clown?

so you admit we're fair weather fans then?

Poison

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »

Insane during the Hatten era? Dude, we were done in the eyes of Ny by then. For Duke and Uconn tix were sold, but not to us.

It was insane during the Sealy era. and it ended there.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
Marillac getting torn a new sphincter in this thread

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »

Absolutely not.  When the administration strips you of your voice, what choice do you have?  Supporting this team at the risk of retaining this loser coach is more of a detriment to our future than anything else. 

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »

Insane during the Hatten era? Dude, we were done in the eyes of Ny by then. For Duke and Uconn tix were sold, but not to us.

It was insane during the Sealy era. and it ended there.

You are just wrong.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
Honestly there are maybe 10 students(myself included) who really care and cheer for the team and we were sitting all the way up in the 300's. Every other student and fan that goes just sits there. I think the problem is with st johns not making a student section at MSG. We brought 15 bus loads of students to MSG and guess what, all of the tickets are spread around randomly. Even if we try to stand and cheer we get kicked out right away. Plus this team sucks and we have no exciting plays so there really isn't anything to cheer about after about 10 minutes cause we're getting blown out.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:46 PM »

Absolutely not.  When the administration strips you of your voice, what choice do you have?  Supporting this team at the risk of retaining this loser coach is more of a detriment to our future than anything else.

Who stripped you of your voice? Yet you say you want to go to games to chant "Fire Norm" so how is your voice stripped? I never heard of fans cheering and clapping for a "team" ever helped a coach keep their job.

I always want my team to win and personally if I go to a game a little bit of me feels like I'm a part of it. If I can clap or be loud to pump up my team, heckle to make an opponent to take them out of their game, or yell at a ref to get a call or makeup call...I want to do it to help my team win. Also it makes the game a hell of a lot more fun. Sure it takes a little blind loyalty but for that 40 minutes I'll give it. I have all week to spend here and talk about it realistically.

We need a better 6th Man

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »
When Evans caught that missed layup and dunked it, did the fans respond?

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »

I’ll say it again for the second time today as you seem to be having a problem grasping the concept…

The game is between two squads of college kids, or rather young men since you took offense to my term kids earlier. These young men go out and play for this school and it’s our job as fans to support them.

If you feel differently, stay home, which is what you seem to do anyway. You have very vocal thoughts for a guy who seldom attends game.

If you are “protesting” the employment of Norm Roberts by staying home, that’s your right. But get off your high horse and stop telling other fans of this program how to act.

It’s all about the players, get that through your brain!

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
When Evans caught that missed layup and dunked it, did the fans respond?

They sure as hell did by me!!!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:59:05 PM by redstormhoopsfan »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »

Who stripped you of your voice? Yet you say you want to go to games to chant "Fire Norm" so how is your voice stripped? I never heard of fans cheering and clapping for a "team" ever helped a coach keep their job.

I always want my team to win and personally if I go to a game a little bit of me feels like I'm a part of it. If I can clap or be loud to pump up my team, heckle to make an opponent to take them out of their game, or yell at a ref to get a call or makeup call...I want to do it to help my team win. Also it makes the game a hell of a lot more fun. Sure it takes a little blind loyalty but for that 40 minutes I'll give it. I have all week to spend here and talk about it realistically.

We need a better 6th Man

We should start with better one through five before we worry about the sixth.  A better coach wouldn't hurt either.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »

I’ll say it again for the second time today as you seem to be having a problem grasping the concept…

The game is between two squads of college kids, or rather young men since you took offense to my term kids earlier. These young men go out and play for this school and it’s our job as fans to support them.

If you feel differently, stay home, which is what you seem to do anyway. You have very vocal thoughts for a guy who seldom attends game.

If you are “protesting” the employment of Norm Roberts by staying home, that’s your right. But get off your high horse and stop telling other fans of this program how to act.

It’s all about the players, get that through your brain!

Wow your mom and pop approach is disturbing to say the least.  All about the kids?  I don't think so.  This is a business. Tix are $40 and there is so much money involved.  There is school pride and there are actually tangible benefits for me as an alum for this team to be successful.

This is not modified basketball.  This is elite major division one basketball. 

These kids work their arses off for the recognition, the national spotlight, the women, the future money, and, yes, the love of th game and representing their school of choice. 

How many of these kids would be willing to go back on the multi-million dollar tv contracts, the huge arenas, and the women and recognition to play a pure "all about the kids" game?  Not many. 

These players are woo'ed by shoe companies and travel the world as teens because the game is a business.  How much better are their lives because of the business aspect of high school and college basketball? How many of these kids would travel 1/100th as much?  How many of them would be setup for life even if their basketball careers don't pan out, ala Tarik Turner, under a mom and pop game?

You are fooling yourself. 

But you are a lost cause.  You said ealier today you would support Norman "The Nightmare" Roberts irrespective of how many games he loses.  You are a classic enabler and it is fans like you that separate us from being a UK, IU, or even more recently, a Villanova. 

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:24:18 AM »
Where do I begin responding to this...lol.

Wow your mom and pop approach is disturbing to say the least.  All about the kids?  I don't think so.

To think I thought you were going to say gambling.

These kids work their arses off for the recognition, the national spotlight, the women, the future money, and, yes, the love of th game and representing their school of choice.

Recognition + national spotlight + women + money = Pittsburgh scandal. Yea I don't think its a good idea to tell our guys to focus on that.

These players are woo'ed by shoe companies and travel the world as teens because the game is a business.

So you claim most of our guys aren't good enough to be Big East players yet they are being woo'ed by shoe companies? Which one is it?

Cedric Jackson is awesome!

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:06 AM »
Where do I begin responding to this...lol.

Wow your mom and pop approach is disturbing to say the least.  All about the kids?  I don't think so.

To think I thought you were going to say gambling.

Recognition + national spotlight + women + money = Pittsburgh scandal. Yea I don't think its a good idea to tell our guys to focus on that.

These players are woo'ed by shoe companies and travel the world as teens because the game is a business.

So you claim most of our guys aren't good enough to be Big East players yet they are being woo'ed by shoe companies? Which one is it?

Cedric Jackson is awesome!

Ok Dave.  Enjoy your #2 Normie ranking. 

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »
Marillac getting torn a new sphincter in this thread

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »
Get him a body bag!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 01:40:51 AM »

Ok Dave.  Enjoy your #2 Normie ranking.

I still want to know where you come up with Dave being #2?
Was this a JD Powers Survey of Satisfied Customers?

What about #1???