Saint John's vs. Cuse Prediction Poll

• 31 replies
Saint John's vs. Cuse Prediction Poll
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:53 AM »
Saint John's pulls out the win 73-67

Re: Saint John's vs. Cuse Prediction Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
It is really important that we get off to a fast start. If we do then I think we have a great shot to win this game.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
Oh geez...we win one game out of six and now they're back ::)

Syracuse by 10.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
The Cuse aren't good... but they are fast and St. John's doesn't do well with fast and athletic.  Cuse by 8-10.

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
Game has let down writen all over it for St. John's...

Syarcuse by 14..

Poison

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
The Cuse aren't good... but they are fast and St. John's doesn't do well with fast and athletic.  Cuse by 8-10.

Not good? If SJU was 19-8 with wins over Kansas, Memphis, Florida, GTown and Notre Dame, we'd be dancing on Utopia Parkway.

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

The key match up will be Boothe on Flynn.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:18 AM »

Not good? If SJU was 19-8 with wins over Kansas, Memphis, Florida, GTown and Notre Dame, we'd be dancing on Utopia Parkway.

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

These lunatics dance like that when we beat SH at home after losing five straight and 13/16.  The standards at St. John's have disappeared.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

These lunatics dance like that when we beat SH at home after losing five straight and 13/16.  The standards at St. John's have disappeared.

Everyone in Syracuse thinks Boeheim has lost it.
I agree. Harrington is either delusional, or he's a Uconn fan.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

The earlier wins were nice but... I don't know what happened.  It's not like they were close to U Conn or Pitt, they couldn't beat Villanova in two tries, they lost to Providence.

I'll take back "not good" and replace it with "mediocre" or "just OK."  That defense is not getting them past the second round of the NCAAs, if that.  The league is excellent this year, but they can do better than their current record, and it's all on defense.

And of course they're in a different class.  Goes without saying.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:17:29 PM »

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

The earlier wins were nice but... I don't know what happened.  It's not like they were close to U Conn or Pitt, they couldn't beat Villanova in two tries, they lost to Providence.

I'll take back "not good" and replace it with "mediocre" or "just OK."  That defense is not getting them past the second round of the NCAAs, if that.  The league is excellent this year, but they can do better than their current record, and it's all on defense.

What happened was they lost players, and their only center is dragging a bad knee up and down the court for 30 minutes, and he really shouldn't be playing at all.

Earlier in the year, Onuaku looked like he would contend for the Big East player of the Year. They also lost 2 key guards. When they lost to Providence, Rautins and Onuaku were out.

I doubt Providence would beat them again.

Still, you're dead on about their lousy defense. They just don't play an aggressive zone. They just stand there and do jumping jacks. Especially Devo. He never plays defense.

We will see how they do tonight, against Cincy and Rutgers.
If they go 3-1, they'll finish at 10-8, and 22-9 overall, in any system, that's a very good and accomplished team.

Remember, they have been known to turn it on in the Big East tourney.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

Standards? Those were flushed down the toilet by your buddy Jarvi$. But Im sure you cheered like crazy and rushed the court rooting for those thugs

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Did you see those adjustments Norm made before the half that got us on 11-0 run against Seton Hall?  Gonzo didn't know what hit him.

Boeheim is next on Norm's hit list...I say we win by 16. ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
Did you see those adjustments Norm made before the half that got us on 11-0 run against Seton Hall?  Gonzo didn't know what hit him.

9 3's in the first half, 1 in the second. Pretty good adjustment

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »

Cuse 82. SJU 67.

What happened was they lost players, and their only center is dragging a bad knee up and down the court for 30 minutes, and he really shouldn't be playing at all.

Earlier in the year, Onuaku looked like he would contend for the Big East player of the Year. They also lost 2 key guards. When they lost to Providence, Rautins and Onuaku were out.

I doubt Providence would beat them again.

Still, you're dead on about their lousy defense. They just don't play an aggressive zone. They just stand there and do jumping jacks. Especially Devo. He never plays defense.

We will see how they do tonight, against Cincy and Rutgers.
If they go 3-1, they'll finish at 10-8, and 22-9 overall, in any system, that's a very good and accomplished team.

Remember, they have been known to turn it on in the Big East tourney.

Injuries? Thats no excuse right?

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »

Yeah that was a great adjustment having Boothe start a fight with a retreating Hazell.  And it was GENIUS to tell Malik to take 4-5 steps on a drive and then run to the corner for a three.  My favorite adjustment was telling Malik to roll around on the floor with the ball, because a traveling violation wouldn't be called.  He such a great coach!

Also, didn't SH outscore STJ in the second half?  Yup.  And I hope you are kidding about STJ by 16. 

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

Yeah that was a great adjustment having Boothe start a fight with a retreating Hazell.  And it was GENIUS to tell Malik to take 4-5 steps on a drive and then run to the corner for a three.  My favorite adjustment was telling Malik to roll around on the floor with the ball, because a traveling violation wouldn't be called.  He such a great coach!

Also, didn't SH outscore STJ in the second half?  Yup.  And I hope you are kidding about STJ by 16.

Marillac, Im gonna help you ot here. Why aent you complaining about Norm calling a timeout after the made free throw? This pissed me off. Why call a timeout so Seton Hall can set up a play for a 3?

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »
Marillac, Im gonna help you ot here. Why aent you complaining about Norm calling a timeout after the made free throw? This pissed me off. Why call a timeout so Seton Hall can set up a play for a 3?

SH's play was already called: "Give it to Hazell for a three."

The TO was to discuss fouling before they put up a shot.  Although the Ref didn't call it, I think it was the right defensive strategy...and Norm made the right move to by calling the TO to set up his defense.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »

Because I don't have a problem with it.  I am in favor of fouling when up three and time running out. 

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »

SH's play was already called: "Give it to Hazell for a three."

The TO was to discuss fouling before they put up a shot.  Although the Ref didn't call it, I think it was the right defensive strategy...and Norm made the right move to by calling the TO to set up his defense.
It reminded me of his decision to do the same thing (setting up his D with 6 seconds left) against WVU last year. Fortunately, this one worked out and Bobby G isn't in Huggins' class.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »
9/19 of you picked St. John's to win. Two of you picked STJ to win by 10 or more. 

How about this...since the hated Marillac has predicted every game so far...why don't I post what will happen and you guys just vote like me?