Big East Tournament Matchups

• 17 replies
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
#9 seed v #16 seed
#12 seed v #13 seed
#10 seed v #15 seed
#11 seed v #14 seed

We're currently the 13th seed which would match us up with Seton Hall but it looks like Georgetown with us and Depaul remaining should move ahead of Seton Hall who has Pitt, UL, and Cincy left. ND could easily drop as well with Uconn, Nova, and us left on their schedule.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Who would you like as our BE tourney matchup round 1?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
DePaul!  Oh I'd like a chance to knock big nose out of the tourny

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »
Seton Hall since we have already beaten them

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
Almost guaranteed we face Seton Hall in a grudge match in the first round at 2PM.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »
ummm, depaul?

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
If we beat both ND and GTown, I'd like to see us play DEPAUL.

But if those are our only options, its obviously Seton Hall as we've beaten them.  Next would be CIncy - it's touhg to beat a team 3x in one year - they are better than us - but its closer talent wise than ND and GTown despite the records.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »
I think if we win the first round as 12/13 seed... we may face Marquette without D. James. The loss of James and the fact we will be playing at home... maybe enough to push us into another round.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
After this win are we still matched up with Seton Hall on Tuesday in 1st round? What if we beat Notre Dame, than what? Can someone smarter than me go thru the scenarios?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:15:50 PM by Marco Baldi »

Re: Big East Tournament Matchups
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:44 PM »
Tie breakers are head to head if only 2 teams are tied or a mini conference if more than 2 teams are tied.  It gets complicated after that.

If we beat ND we would be the the 10 seed and play Rutgers. Unless Seton Hall beats Louisville or Cincy then we would be the 11 seed and play South Florida. 

We have the tie breaker for Georgetown head to head and same with Notredame if we win.  We lose the tiebreaker to Seton Hall if they win one of their last 2.

If we lose then we are pretty much guaranteed 12 or 13 seed and we would be playing either Gtown or SetonHall.

If Seton Hall beats Cincy or Louisville then we play Georgetown.

If Seton Hall loses both and Gtown beats Depaul we would play Seton Hall.

Hope that makes sense...so if we win Rutgers/South Florida...if we lose Seton Hall/Georgetown
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:41:57 PM by jumpinjohnny »

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:40:03 PM »
Thanks, would have taken me long time to figure that out.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »

Why would we lose a tiebreaker in a mini conference if st johns nd shu and gtown all ended w 7 wins?  We'd be 4-1 against that group - you can't tell me sh is better?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 08:56:19 AM »

Why would we lose a tiebreaker in a mini conference if st johns nd shu and gtown all ended w 7 wins?  We'd be 4-1 against that group - you can't tell me sh is better?

You're right.  I originally posted that we would  basically be guaranteed the #10 seed if we win but backtracked because if Seton Hall wins both of their games they'll be the 10 seed.

I forgot that we would be tied with ND as well if Seton Hall splits their final 2 games.  Since Seton Hall lost to ND we should get the tiebreaker. 

But the possibilities remain the same win=Rutgers/South Florida....lose=Seton Hall/Georgetown

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
If the Big East still had the same 12 team format as last, we would be fighting for our lives.

WOW

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »
I know this is a stretchhhhhhhhhh and I'm as pessimist as they come, but imagine if we somehow beat ND on Friday and got the #10 seed?? SH will lose out on the road to Cincy and L'Ville. And we would own the tiebreakers with Gtown and ND.

I know its crazy to think, especially bc ND has to be furious at this point and I expect a big game out of them on their Senior Day, but then again maybe they have just mailed it in. This team(aka the Sophomore class) has to have more confidence right now then any other point in their 2 years here. Maybe we can dig down and beat ND again?

Again, I wouldn't count on it. But I don't think anyone here really thought we had a CHANCE at finishing 10th in this conference when the season started.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
a chance to finish tenth?  how low are the standards after year five?

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
a chance to finish tenth?  how low are the standards after year five?

Newsman, please don't get me wrong here. I've wanted Norm gone for about 2 years now. And I agree, finishing 10th is not something you should look to strive for in year 5.

However, considering we are stuck with this clown of a coach and considering the team we put on the floor, if you would have told any St. John's fan at the beginning of the Big East schedule that the Johnnies would finish 10th in the BE, I think any knowledgeable fan would say your out of your mind. Especially considering coming into January teams like G-town and ND were supposed to be Top 25 teams and experts were suggesting 9 teams from the BE could go to the dance.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
i just read on zags that if we play against seton hall in the first round it wont be on tv, how pissed off does that make you. I hope that its just that two oclock game that wont be on tv cause theres a chance we get put somewhere else
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
i just read on zags that if we play against seton hall in the first round it wont be on tv, how pissed off does that make you. I hope that its just that two oclock game that wont be on tv cause theres a chance we get put somewhere else

No Day 1 games are on TV.  They are all on the internet only.