Sylven 1 and Done?

• 45 replies

Tha Kid

Sylven 1 and Done?
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:25:47 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FordDraftWatch-090227

Sylven Landesberg, SG, Virginia
Landesberg is my top sleeper right now. While everyone is focusing on freshmen like Warren and Memphis' Tyreke Evans, Landesberg has put up the best numbers of the bunch -- and he's doing it in the ACC. A number of GMs were shocked to learn that Landesberg is quietly averaging 18 points and 6 rebounds. He scored 24 points against Florida State, 20 against Duke, 32 against Boston College and 23 against Clemson.

A terrific slasher who knows how to get to the basket, Landesberg is very aggressive and can hurt opponents in many ways. He's also been hitting 3-pointers with much more consistency lately.

Teams have been watching a lot of film on him recently -- a couple of sources suggested NBA teams heard that Landesberg is thinking about declaring for the draft -- and a number of them haven't ruled him out as a first-round pick.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

Re: Sylven 1 and Done?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FordDraftWatch-090227

Landesberg is my top sleeper right now. While everyone is focusing on freshmen like Warren and Memphis' Tyreke Evans, Landesberg has put up the best numbers of the bunch -- and he's doing it in the ACC. A number of GMs were shocked to learn that Landesberg is quietly averaging 18 points and 6 rebounds. He scored 24 points against Florida State, 20 against Duke, 32 against Boston College and 23 against Clemson.

A terrific slasher who knows how to get to the basket, Landesberg is very aggressive and can hurt opponents in many ways. He's also been hitting 3-pointers with much more consistency lately.

Teams have been watching a lot of film on him recently -- a couple of sources suggested NBA teams heard that Landesberg is thinking about declaring for the draft -- and a number of them haven't ruled him out as a first-round pick.

No one has any idea how good he really is.

He's shown the same ability as Showtime, when he won 3 games for St.John's, beating ranked NC State, Pittsburgh, and then Georgetown and Rutgers.

It's same season. Either way, I hope that kid breaks an ankle a day before the NBA draft.

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »
That's horrible why would you wish that on anyone esp. A good kid like sylven?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
Wow!

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
Thats messed up Poison... Good luck Sylven hope you get drafted in the 1st round!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
Yeah, that ain't cool, Poison.

If Sylven leaves, I wonder if that's the last straw for Leitao?  There's unrest in the state of Virginia.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
I hope he leaves VA this year too....and comes back to Queens.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:47:14 PM »

No one has any idea how good he really is.

He's shown the same ability as Showtime, when he won 3 games for St.John's, beating ranked NC State, Pittsburgh, and then Georgetown and Rutgers.

It's same season. Either way, I hope that kid breaks an ankle a day before the NBA draft.

you're an a rear of a donkey

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
rear of a donkey? lol oh johnny jungle, you're a sillyhead :P...but i think poison deserves what i actually wrote

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »

i don't think he's a good kid.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

ur right. that was too harsh. I think he's suffering enough playing for one of the worst team's in the nation. If I were an NBA scout, I'd overlook a kid that doesn't have the guts to stay home.

it's not he left for a good reason.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »

...because he didn't go to St. John's ::)  I guess you think 99.7% of college basketball players aren't good kids then.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:26 PM »

how can you blame the kid for leaving?  maybe he wanted to get away from his parents and queens? maybe he wanted a better education?  maybe he didnt want to be labeled as the savior of st johns?  but not staying home doesn't mean he's "not a good kid."

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »

how can you blame the kid for leaving?  maybe he wanted to get away from his parents and queens? maybe he wanted a better education?  maybe he didnt want to be labeled as the savior of st johns?  but not staying home doesn't mean he's "not a good kid."

How can you keep blowing him so much?

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
As I recall he said he went to Virginia for the academics and the possibility to sit next to a future President of the United States, even though Thomas Jefferson was the last President UVA has produced.

With a one-and-done, I don't know how much academia he's going to absorb and I don't know how many future Presidents he'll be sitting next to on an NBA bench.

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
Posion,

Why are you such a crybaby about syl? If you were him would you have stayed? Grab some kleenexes and stop being such a sore loser.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »

ur right. that was too harsh. I think he's suffering enough playing for one of the worst team's in the nation. If I were an NBA scout, I'd overlook a kid that doesn't have the guts to stay home.

it's not he left for a good reason.

VERY NICE..  you just showed yourself to be the biggest d-BAG on any St. John's board...  you just wished a 19 year old serious and possible career ending injury...

Yeah. . going to the University of Virgina or going to Jamacia, Queens..   that was a tough choice...     God forbid basketball doesn't work out and he wanted to lean on his education to make a life for himself...

Only one other poster called Sylven gutless for not coming to St. John's. . that was "He who not be named". . you are keeping some good company...

D-BAG

kob24

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
Poison sylvan is the most coolest kid in the world.what would make u say such a thing man? Yo people are really really crazy out here

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
Is there any truth to the rumor that his father wants him closer to home?

Poison

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
Posion,

Why are you such a crybaby about syl? If you were him would you have stayed? Grab some kleenexes and stop being such a sore loser.

He went to one of the only programs in worse shape than ours.
He simply didn't want the attention.

Gutless. Don't like my assessment? I don't care.