Y’all settle for crumbs

• 30 replies
Y’all settle for crumbs
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
Let me count the times I’m thinking we turnin the corner.

Happened when we beat Pitt and L’Ville back to back in 06. Happened when Larry Wright hit at the buzzer against ND in 07. Even happened when we beat Providence last year.

I was celebratin as much as the next brother after those wins. And I was the biggest backer of Coach there was. But I reached a point when I realized that fo every step we take, we take two steps back.

So while some y’all is whoopin it up over the Gtown win, I cant get caught up.

Does this erase years of ineptitude? Hells no.

Does this erase the fact that we still on the bottom of the Big East?  Hells no.

Does this erase all the doubts evry CHSAA, PSAL and AAU coach have fo sendin they kids to St. John? Hells no.

Does this erase the fact that we still irrelevant in NYC? Hells no.

Does this erase the utter embarrassment of last week’s Cuse game? HELLS NO.

Y’all wanna feel good? Fine. Bask in the glory. But y’all settlin fo crumbs. I want the whole cake.

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

Re: Y’all settle for crumbs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Happened when we beat Pitt and L’Ville back to back in 06. Happened when Larry Wright hit at the buzzer against ND in 07. Even happened when we beat Providence last year.

I was celebratin as much as the next brother after those wins. And I was the biggest backer of Coach there was. But I reached a point when I realized that fo every step we take, we take two steps back.

Does this erase the fact that we still on the bottom of the Big East?  Hells no.

Does this erase all the doubts evry CHSAA, PSAL and AAU coach have fo sendin they kids to St. John? Hells no.

Y’all wanna feel good? Fine. Bask in the glory. But y’all settlin fo crumbs. I want the whole cake.

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

Right here is the Johnny Jungle Post of the Year.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

We all know we're not going to the dance this year. This isn't news to us. But beating a loaded Gtown team in any scenario is always a big deal.

No matter what. And really Choz, what would you have us do?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:04:26 AM by Poison »

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:08 AM »
When you as a fan has been left out in the wilderness for five or six years and you are straving and someone approaches you with crumbs I am going to eat and enjoy those crumbs. For me this is being happy for these kids who work hard but have seen little success. Whether lack of success is due to coaching, lack of BE talent it does not matter. This is a likeable group of kids who I am going to be pulling for. I want the whole cake but if you are straving and someone offers crumbs you take them. Those crumbs may give you the strength to do more down the road. We rarely have chance to celebrate wins so why the hell not be happy. I am not saying STJ is back but look at the kids reaction after the buzzer went off...their lack of tasting victory these past five years make each small victory seem huge. I feel you and understand what you are saying but I am not going overboard. But any win is a good win. I thought we would finish the season at 16-14 this year and that is nothing to write home about...just the reality of where we are as a program.

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

I agree with you 100% Choz.  At best Norm gets this team in the tourney once of the next 2 years - at best thats 1 out of 7  years dancing and then its rebuilding again and the whole process starts from scratch.  It's sad that that's what this has become.

But you gotta understand the other side of the coin --- it SUCKS to have to just go from game to game not sure whether or a win or loss is better for the program.  The fact of the matter is the AD and President DON'T CARE.  So if they don't care, and Norm is not being removed, why not enjoy a little excitement?  They won't give us anything to cheer about even if we lost out at season's end....

We have to accept St. John's for what it is now - a rinky dink mid-major program.  Until the administration changes or grows some cojones, I'll take crumbs over the flaming bags of $#!t the team has been giving us for the last 6 years...
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
Hold up - if a few people are saying "man, coach did a good job," it doesn't mean those same people also think "coach has to stay and finish what he started."  I agree with you, Choz, but that ain't settling for crumbs.  Been a long season, and it's nice to see the team actually pull out a win.  I'll be the first to say that our offense as it played last night isn't going to beat anyone.  And anyone with a bit of logic knows that one win doesn't erase a season of ineptitude. 

But beating Georgetown always feels good.  In a few hours (or, I guess, now) we can start discussing what it means.  And playing Notre Dame on the road will quickly erase the good feelings from this game.

Most posters are still a strong negative on Norm, even if they can smile for a morning.  A day of basking in it doesn't change what needs to be done for most fans; and even those who think Norm needs another year aren't gonna cry if he leaves. 

But the decision isn't ours, it's Monsach's/ Harrington's/ Louie's/ their hot dog vendor's/ and whoever else is on the decision-making committee.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

I agree with you 100% Choz.  At best Norm gets this team in the tourney once of the next 2 years - at best thats 1 out of 7  years dancing and then its rebuilding again and the whole process starts from scratch.  It's sad that that's what this has become.

But you gotta understand the other side of the coin --- it SUCKS to have to just go from game to game not sure whether or a win or loss is better for the program.  The fact of the matter is the AD and President DON'T CARE.  So if they don't care, and Norm is not being removed, why not enjoy a little excitement?  They won't give us anything to cheer about even if we lost out at season's end....

We have to accept St. John's for what it is now - a rinky dink mid-major program.  Until the administration changes or grows some cojones, I'll take crumbs over the flaming bags of $#!t the team has been giving us for the last 6 years...
PMG, THIS is the Post of the Year.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

PMG, THIS is the Post of the Year.

Co-Posts of the Year

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »
Hold up - if a few people are saying "man, coach did a good job," it doesn't mean those same people also think "coach has to stay and finish what he started."  I agree with you, Choz, but that ain't settling for crumbs.  Been a long season, and it's nice to see the team actually pull out a win.  I'll be the first to say that our offense as it played last night isn't going to beat anyone.  And anyone with a bit of logic knows that one win doesn't erase a season of ineptitude. 

But beating Georgetown always feels good.  In a few hours (or, I guess, now) we can start discussing what it means.  And playing Notre Dame on the road will quickly erase the good feelings from this game.

Most posters are still a strong negative on Norm, even if they can smile for a morning.  A day of basking in it doesn't change what needs to be done for most fans; and even those who think Norm needs another year aren't gonna cry if he leaves. 

But the decision isn't ours, it's Monsach's/ Harrington's/ Louie's/ their hot dog vendor's/ and whoever else is on the decision-making committee.

I echo these thoughts. Enjoy the Georgetown win for what it is...a win. The team played well at home, Norm actually coached a good game, and for a day it was a good day to be a St. John's fan.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »

I echo these thoughts. Enjoy the Georgetown win for what it is...a win. The team played well at home, Norm actually coached a good game, and for a day it was a good day to be a St. John's fan.

Exactly. And truth be told, no one thought we'd 6-11. No one.
Actually no one thought GTown would be 6 and 11.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
Sorry y'all, but this brother aint NEVER gonna lower his expectations for where St. John as a program should be.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »
Settling for crumbs? Is it that hard to cheer for these kids and want them to win? Are we that miserable when we cant enjoy a nice win for 1 day, 1 day!  1 day without complaining about the kids, the coach or the refs. The kids play hard, win a nice game in OT and we have to sit here and read this crap? Go hang out in a funeral parlor if you arre that miserable.

This is 1 of the many reasons why St Johns has some of the worst fans in college hoops. It also might have alot to do with some recruits looking elsewhere. Can we take a break from the crying and whining for 1 day and enjoy the tough fought overtime win?

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
No one is settling for anything.

The vast majority of us want a regime change, but, when you actually care about whether your program wins or loses, it's okay to take a little joy out of life, when you get a pleasant surprise.

We've had to sit through and, for some of us, pay for enough bad losses to fill a lifetime in the past few years. It gets a little frustrating to show up to half-empty games, where you are outnumbered by the opposition's fan base, and assume you are realistically going to lose the majority of your games. So, for a second night (the ND win felt good too) this season, it was nice to be able walk out of that arena with a big smile on our faces.

You don't need to rain on anyone's parade. I doubt last night significantly changed anyone's opinion on Norm Roberts or the direction of the program.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
I want Norm to prove me wrong.  I will never, NEVER be one of those "fans" that roots against the team.  I am happy about the win, and I also realize what you are saying, Choz.  But this is a win against out longtime, traditional rival where the coaching staff did a very good job, especially down the stretch.  I'm happy for the team and the coaching staff.

Time to move onto Notre Dame...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »
Sorry y'all, but this brother aint NEVER gonna lower his expectations for where St. John as a program should be.

I don't think anyone should lower their expectations --- but I don't think it's "settling for crumbs" to be happy about a win against our bitter rival when the administration wouldnt have fired Norm even if we lost.  I  haven't seen anyone say Norm is going to be a world beater now - just people happy we beat Gtown.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »

Coach still gotta go.

Peace out

-Choz4Life

To be honest, I feel where Choz is coming from here.  Am I glad we won on last night?  Yes!  Moreso, due to we beat the "Hated Hoyas."  A win against them is always good, in my book! 

But, I'm not gonna allow last night's win to cloud my judgement on Roberts' body of work over the past few seasons.  I still would like another coach manning the ship a season from now.

Unfortunately, I think last night's win is gonna be bittersweet for many of us fans.  Last night's win probably bought Roberts another season and I don't think we'll be much better next year.  I still believe we'll be hedging around .500 next season.

What else can we do, as fans?  Call a rally!?!  Hmmmmmmm....

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »
choz is right.

as long as father harrington/norm is here, the school will be the fordham of the big east.  anyone who expects it to be different still believes in the tooth fairy.

i can enjoy an occasional win...but i'd like to think i'm smart enough to look at the big picture.  we're a perennial top 140 team that will play spoiler a couple of times a year.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
choz is right.

as long as father harrington/norm is here, the school will be the fordham of the big east.  anyone who expects it to be different still believes in the tooth fairy.

i can enjoy an occasional win...but i'd like to think i'm smart enough to look at the big picture.  we're a perennial top 140 team that will play spoiler a couple of times a year.

Fordham is 3-23, 1-13 in a mediocre at best conference. One of the worst teams in the nation.

I'd like to think you were smart enough too!   ;)

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
Y'all need to calm down when this dude posts. I can barely understand what he's saying.

Coach Roberts was right when he said that this game is about the kids and that's why you should feel good about this win.

And who exactly is settling? The majority of fans probably still want Norm gone... that doesn't mean they can't be happy after a win.  ::)

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
right...norm really cares about the kids...
he's a real captain kangaroo.
hey baldi...fordham still has an equal chance to win the national championship as us in this century.  i didn't say they were our equal right now.
too bad you can only think from game to game.