Y’all settle for crumbs

• 30 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Y’all settle for crumbs
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
That was pretty understandable, D-Wright.  And even if you didn't understand doesn't mean Choz isn't saying something.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
Y'all need to calm down when this dude posts. I can barely understand what he's saying.

Coach Roberts was right when he said that this game is about the kids and that's why you should feel good about this win.

And who exactly is settling? The majority of fans probably still want Norm gone... that doesn't mean they can't be happy after a win.  ::)

That is the best post of the year.

The fans happiness or unhappiness hasn't forced anyone's hand regarding Norm, so what's the point in announcing that we still stink?

Am I glad that we're not Depaul? Yes. Would I be much happier if we were Pittsburgh? Sure, but we're not.

So last night we we're left with a little hope.
Nothing wrong with enjoying it.

Al that it means is that we're happier winning than losing.
Nothing more. That, however, to a long time SJU means something.

Beating GTown always does. Unless you're 14 years old.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 08:46:57 AM »
The fact that you were disappointed we didn't 'turn the corner' faster notwithstanding, Choz, if you really think we're taking 2 steps back for every one forward, you're not paying attention.

And the way to erase years of ineptitude (not brought on by Norm), to erase the doubts of coaches (and doubts are a HUGE step up from what they felt when Norm got here), and to be relevant in NYC is to have success. And, although it clearly isn't fast enough for you, Norm and his staff are building that.

Some of us (lol or maybe just me) think that the program was so utterly destroyed when Norm took over that it's understandable it's taken this long. Would I have like it to be quicker? Of course. Does the fact that it wasn't faster mean that it isn't happening now? Of course not.

Maybe, just maybe, to do it right, this is how long it had to take. And if taking this long means that you can't see the positive now, or enjoy the direction things are going, then I'm sorry. I, for one, am enjoying this team more than any in years.. and that goes back well before Norm got here.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
We have been starving for years, but crumbs are better than nothing...look at Rutgers and DePaul...DePaul really mirrors our history...urban school...hit a homerun when Aguirre stayed just like we did when Mullin stayed...etc.

You do have to admit we have a nice bigman rotation of Sean, Justin and Rob...backcourt rotation of Malik, Paris, DJ...pencil in Omari and Dwight with some Q...thats a nice crew with still none graduating in 2010...

I've been saying since year 2 of Norm's regime, we need a Tex Winters type as he was to Phil Jackson..an older guy happy to be an assistant who knows his x's and o's. Louie was a poor x's and o's guy but he had Al Laboa[?] as an assistant to work on the defenses.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Mase read the writing on the wall and go to Europe or somewhere else, DJ has really blossomed in his absense

Poison

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
We have been starving for years, but crumbs are better than nothing...look at Rutgers and DePaul...DePaul really mirrors our history...urban school...hit a homerun when Aguirre stayed just like we did when Mullin stayed...etc.

You do have to admit we have a nice bigman rotation of Sean, Justin and Rob...backcourt rotation of Malik, Paris, DJ...pencil in Omari and Dwight with some Q...thats a nice crew with still none graduating in 2010...

I've been saying since year 2 of Norm's regime, we need a Tex Winters type as he was to Phil Jackson..an older guy happy to be an assistant who knows his x's and o's. Louie was a poor x's and o's guy but he had Al Laboa[?] as an assistant to work on the defenses.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Mase read the writing on the wall and go to Europe or somewhere else, DJ has really blossomed in his absense

What we need is a star. We need Lance Stephenson.
Norm doesn't have a great player to take over when things get out of hand.

Horne, Kennedy, Boothe, Evans and JB all hustle, but they don't have the ability to take over a game. We add that, and we can compete in this league. We won't win it, but we'll give just about everyone a game.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 08:07:36 AM »
If some of y'all young'uns really wanna know what St. John-Gtown is all about 'stead of this watered down version, y'all best turn in to SNY tonight: Big East Classics - St. John at Gtown 1985.

Then y'all know what glory really is.

Peace out!

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
If some of y'all young'uns really wanna know what St. John-Gtown is all about 'stead of this watered down version, y'all best turn in to SNY tonight: Big East Classics - St. John at Gtown 1985.

Peace out!

-Choz4Life

It is nice to remember the past, but you can not live in the past.

We are where we are. We can only enjoy or not enjoy the present and look to the future.

I use this thought process with the Stock Market and St. John's Basketball.

I'd settle for some crumbs in both areas
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:33:32 AM by Red2395 »

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

Peace out!

-Choz4Life

Did St JOhns win this game?

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »

Peace out!

-Choz4Life

Did St JOhns win this game?

Won and became No. 1 in the country.

Last play of the game show you how smart Chris Mullin was. A cerebral move, no doubt.

Glorious time, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »

Peace out!

-Choz4Life

MASN was showing the February 2, 1987 game between G'town/St. John's at the Garden on last night. 

I, remember that game well, as I was in the 8th grade.  It was Mark Jackson and Reggie Williams going back-and-forth with one another.  Jackson ended up with 34 points and I believe Williams ended up with 26 points.

Shelton Jones also had a pretty good game, as well. 

Nostalgia at its best! 

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
Boxscores from the 3 matchup betwenn SJU and the Hoyas in the 85 season. St Johns wins the 1st than gets lumped up in the next 2. Mark Jackson only playing 13 minutes?

http://www.redmen.com/index.php?option=com_redmenboxscores&admin=0&op=modload&name=NS-BoxScores&file=index&req=viewbxs&gid=14

http://www.redmen.com/index.php?
option=com_redmenboxscores&admin=0&op=modload&name=NS-BoxScores&file=index&req=viewbxs&gid=255

http://www.redmen.com/index.php?option=com_redmenboxscores&admin=0&op=modload&name=NS-BoxScores&file=index&req=viewbxs&gid=562