Big East seeding scenarios

• 8 replies
Big East seeding scenarios
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »
Since I have a big work function during the day on Tuesday and would only be able to make it to the night session I've been looking over some of the scenarios for the seedings.

We can still finish anywhere from 10-13.

If we beat ND: In more ways than one, this is what I need. If we beat ND, we finish with 7 wins which means even if Georgetown (home vs. DePaul) and Seton Hall (@ Cincy) win their games we have the tiebreakers and get the 10 seed which means we would play Rutgers at 7pm and I can go to the game.

Lose to ND: assuming Georgetown beats DePaul at home, no matter what Seton Hall does we would be the 12 or 13 seed and play the Hall at 2pm on tuesday.

however, if georgetown somehow manages to lose to Depaul, and Seton hall loses at cincy it looks like we will be the 11 seed and play south florida at 9pm wed.

but if gtown loses and seton hall beats cincy, we would be the 12 seed and play 13th seeded gtown at 2pm.

2 team tiebreaker is head to head. however, the 3 team tiebreaker is the winning percentage against the other teams in that 3 team (or more) tie. from what I gather, St. John's has the tiebreaker in a multiple team scenario between us Gtown, ND and the hall.

everybody got that????

sjd8886

Re: Big East seeding scenarios
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »
you remember vegas vacation, when chevy is getting the directions to his room...thats how i feel right now...whoever we play first round should be a close game and whoever we play second round, if we get there, will most likely take us to school

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Since I have a big work function during the day on Tuesday and would only be able to make it to the night session I've been looking over some of the scenarios for the seedings.

We can still finish anywhere from 10-13.

If we beat ND: In more ways than one, this is what I need. If we beat ND, we finish with 7 wins which means even if Georgetown (home vs. DePaul) and Seton Hall (@ Cincy) win their games we have the tiebreakers and get the 10 seed which means we would play Rutgers at 7pm and I can go to the game.

Lose to ND: assuming Georgetown beats DePaul at home, no matter what Seton Hall does we would be the 12 or 13 seed and play the Hall at 2pm on tuesday.

however, if georgetown somehow manages to lose to Depaul, and Seton hall loses at cincy it looks like we will be the 11 seed and play south florida at 9pm wed.

but if gtown loses and seton hall beats cincy, we would be the 12 seed and play 13th seeded gtown at 2pm.

2 team tiebreaker is head to head. however, the 3 team tiebreaker is the winning percentage against the other teams in that 3 team (or more) tie. from what I gather, St. John's has the tiebreaker in a multiple team scenario between us Gtown, ND and the hall.

everybody got that????

I'm with you....can't get out of work on Tuesday afternoon either..need that win tomorrow night @ ND, because lets face it G-town will not lose to DePaul.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
It looks like we are a lock for that 2pm game, because i just got my tournament tickets through the school and its for the 12 and 2pm games

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
you better hope so, or youre going to be buying tickets for the night session too.

but we are in no way locked into the 2pm game, while it's more likely than the night game it's by no means in stone yet.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »
It looks like we are a lock for that 2pm game, because i just got my tournament tickets through the school and its for the 12 and 2pm games

did you actually get your tickets? Or do you have to pick them up at the MSG window the day of the game?

I spoke with someone from the ticket office and although they are telling everyone that the game is at 2pm, they are aware there is a chance the game will be at 7 or 9. It should not matter because the tickets will be at will call. The MSG ticket office will just sort them by school based on the time of each game when the bracket is filled in.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

They called me earlier today and told me to check the tv listings for the time of the game because it is not definite and come for that session and pick the tickets up at the window they told me my tickets would be at.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
Yea tickets are at will call and they're saying that the games at 2, but i guess they can easily change it if we somehow beat ND again.

How do the tie breakers work if we win and seton hall wins?

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »
Yea tickets are at will call and they're saying that the games at 2, but i guess they can easily change it if we somehow beat ND again.

How do the tie breakers work if we win and seton hall wins?

If St. John's and Seton Hall win...Georgetown(assuming they beat Depaul), ND, Seton Hall, and St. John's would all be 7-11.

The tiebreaker is based on the record among the teams.  Since St. John's would be 4-1 against that group we would win the tiebreaker.

Unfortunately history(road record) tells us we'll be the 12 or 13 seed.  If we finish tied with Seton Hall at 6-12.  We win the tiebreaker because we beat Notredame.  The best team Seton Hall would've beaten was the Hoyas.

As queensfinest mentioned if Gtown somehow loses to Depaul and we are tied with them and Seton Hall we could end up backing into the 11 seed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:44:52 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!