Cuse Pre-game

• 15 replies
Cuse Pre-game
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
updated on the main page

www.johnnyjungle.com

You will find the calm before the storm article link there as well as a very interesting Jim Boheim video
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Cuse Pre-game
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »
gotta love the t-shirt about the "dome" on the main page haha thats classic

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »
donte greene is always fun to watch...

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:02:05 AM »
14 point spread tonight

This is really an interesting game for us to start off with.  They're young and inexperienced in the big east (like us) but they have a lot more talent.  I hope our frosh don't see this as a challenge to beat their frosh but rather do the things we need them to do to win.  Justin needs to grab 10 boards today, we need him to get back to rolling in double figure rebounding.  With the rebounding we NEED Mase to grab some too.  In my opinion the best thing about Mase boarding is that when he gets one, he's instantly out and running the break and causing havoc.  We need to get as many easy baskets as possible and grabbing and going is probably our best way.  DJ similar to Mase with grabbing the board and running out but kid needs to slow down a second and let the game come to him.  If we grab a rebound and outlet to Geno its the same old wait wait, chuck a bad shot approach we all hate.  Harris is a monster on the boards and we need to make sure we block him out at all times (Mase thats you man) and hopefully get him some cheap fouls with his overaggressive style.

Tonight is a nice matchup for Larry as Scoop isn't that good on offense and won't try to take over like Vasallo did.  We need Larry to come out shooting (and i suspect he'll be starting with this matchup) and to keep shooting to end that zone and get the crowd silent. 

Geno has to work hard on D and it should be a matter of pride for him to not let a stud freshman show him up.  Just from knowing Geno, I think he's excited for this match up and relishing in the task to defend him.  On the same hand, if he lets him constantly blow by, Norm HAS to go to Malik.

Tomas and Dele need to work hard Onuaku and foul him real hard anytime he has an easy chance for a hoop.  He's only shooting 46% from the line so when those 2 get on their foul binges it shouldnt be as harmful as usual.  I'm usually all for playing small but I think these 2 will be allright with Evans at playing the 5 tonight. 

Bottom line for me is this to win this game (and i really like our chances as they are putrid on defense and we need all the help we can get) we need Mase to play like the star upperclassman he expects to be.  He needs to dominate the ball, want the ball and make good aggressive decisions.  This team will feed off of him exploding like he is capable of.  Assuming they're zoning us, I don't want him standing on the outside chucking 3's but flashing to the high post, flying in the air for a sweet 15 footer or dishing it down to Justin for a jam.  If Mase gets rolling Justin won't be swarmed in guys and if Greene is marking him maybe he'll even get him in foul trouble.  If Mase has an off night all around we're dead and likely to get blown out but I've got a nice feeling he's gonna bring that A game to the dome like last year and shut em up.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:07:35 AM »
we need to lock down defensive rebounding tonight...they have high powered individual offensive players and if we give up any offensive rebounds we will lose by twenty easy...the good news is that they do not play any defense at all...we need one of their stars to be cold (Greene or Flynn)...and we need Wright to hit 4 or 5 threes to have a legitmate shot at winning.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »
i would take the points and sju...no way quse wins by 14.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
I will be sitting like three rows from the court next to my best friend who is a huge Cuse fan.  I am pumped,  we got screwed last year at the dome and with only one game against these girls this year this one is for bragging rights.  Come on boys lets do this !

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
I think Onuaku is going to give us problems getting hustle offensive rebounds and put backs. Tomas and Dele need to be extremely focused on bodying him up.

I think the JB/Mason and Greene/Harris match ups are interesting. I'm really curious who rises to the top. Mason has had very good games against Cuse in his career does he step up after being shut down by VT?

Individually I think we matchup ok against them however Cuse is playing so much better as a unit and that is the key difference between the two right now. We must slow down this game and not allow Cuse to get into a scoring game in the 80's. It would be nice to see a lot of press and trap.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
we need two guys to play out of their minds today, and AMJR to have a good game, in order for us to win.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
We need Larry Wright back as a scorer.  I bet Sean Evans gets a lot of time-- Donte' Greene's a hell to defend, and while Justin's defense is decent I don't think he has defended someone who moves like that.  I think that Sean Evans might be Norm's guy for mobile tall guys; and the past few games he hasn't completely sucked.

Really, I think if Jonny Flynn doesn't go off on Geno (he really might, he's quicker, but he might not, he is a freshman) the Storm might have a chance.

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »
ahh. will miss the game. goin to the knicks. haha

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
SNY is really stepping it up this season. They got a Big East pre-game show on right now hosted by Gary Apple, with Seth Davis and Lenn Robbins. This will air before every Big East game on SNY this year. These guys know their college hoops and so far have given a great analysis of St. John's and Syracuse. I think Lenn Robbins said it best. He was saying how he was talking to the St Johns freshman players before the year started and he said they were all drinking the "Kool-Aid", saying that even though they are young, they are good enough to win in the BE right now. Robbins shot that down by saying "In the end, experience wins"

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »
just had a little interview with Mark Jackson as well talkin about the state of the program. Admitted they are having trouble getting that "one stud player". Also said that Norm Roberts is "the right guy for the job"  ???

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
Evans in the starting lineup??!!! Tomas takes a seat..

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 07:08:21 PM »
less than 3 minutes have been played and i already wanna strangle geno
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 07:08:54 PM »
norm must really wanna #$%^ larry wright over, not giving him the start. evans in the starting lineup though, interesting
We Not Me