NY Daily News: Lance KO's SJU

• 43 replies
Re: NY Daily News: Lance KO's SJU
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
The only way you could justify Norm not getting fired is because there was thought that he might be able to get this kid -- obviously there was a good amount of skepticism regarding his ability to do this.

But again we're settling for crumbs (as Choz would say) and we're still left with a coach who can't coach.

The worst part of all of this is how insignificant the fans are. Empty arenas, resignations, and petitions from some of the most loyal college basketball fans have no discernible impact.

If only this program cared a tenth as much as its fans...

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
The only way you could justify Norm not getting fired is because there was thought that he might be able to get this kid -- obviously there was a good amount of skepticism regarding his ability to do this.

But again we're settling for crumbs (as Choz would say) and we're still left with a coach who can't coach.

The worst part of all of this is how insignificant the fans are. Empty arenas, resignations, and petitions from some of the most loyal college basketball fans have no discernible impact.

More importantly, is it too much to ask for you not to strike out every third at bat and maybe get a hit with runners in scoring position?

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
this still doesnt make sence 2 me..arizona has said they would rather take parrom over lance n callapari doesnt want lance so i still think its between us n if any of those memphis so it looks like a lose lose...he either comes here n plays on a team where he would b the star n a middle pack team in the best confrence or go 2 memphis n b still probably the star player but memphis isnt winning a championship nxt yr n there in conf usa!!...so ill believe it whenever he goes sumwere else i still believe were getting him...plus in the article i didnt c any quotes frm the sju staff

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/01/johnnies-maryland-out-for-lance/

the source is questionable....

No official visits for Stephenson have been set to either Arizona or Memphis, but a source said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if he verballed without stepping foot on campus.”

A St. John’s source said the Stephenson family had not called them as of noon on Friday to dispute the accuracy of the report.

Despite the Daily News report that Kentucky was in the mix, a source within the Kentucky program said they were not recruiting Stephenson and that landing a point guard – John Wall or Eric Bledsoe – was the “top priority.”

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
This is a blessing in disguise!

There was no way Norm could control him anyway, it would of been a train wreck with all of the local outside influences, he would of declared for the draft at the end of the fall term.

Lance was not a need for this team. He is not 7-0 C with shot blocking ability & low post moves Nor is he a PG with the talents of Baron Davis. we have a lot of players on this team already who's favorite shot is an off balance jump shots  & they don't have have a terrible attitude to come with it.

Our Projected starting 5 is

PG-malik boothe
SG-Paris Horne/Omari Lawrence
SF-Anthony Mason Jr./D.J. Kennedy
PF-Justin Burrell
C- Sean Evans

Our SG/SF are the strengths of our team, i am not sure how much of an upgrade he is just for one year.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »

More importantly, is it too much to ask for you not to strike out every third at bat and maybe get a hit with runners in scoring position?
Touche, I may have to change my name if he doesn't start to hit. ;D

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »

It's a cold start, 20 games or so out of 162.  David deserves the benefit of the doubt!

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Time to take Born Ready's picture down from the site!

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »

It's a cold start, 20 games or so out of 162.  David deserves the benefit of the doubt!

I agree BUT, he looks TERRIBLE! If he does not start hitting soon and the Mets fall too far behind, well the "core" of this team has proven that they lack the testicular fortitude to battle back and this season could be over pretty soon.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:18:05 PM by we are sju »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »

How bout some random 1-star recruit that no one has heard of and everyone thinks is gonna be the next Chris Mullin!
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=2570.0

There's your possible 1-star recruit.

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

How bout some random 1-star recruit that no one has heard of and everyone thinks is gonna be the next Chris Mullin!
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=2570.0

There's your possible 1-star recruit.

Right on que, a 6-8 guy who wants to be a 2-guard. Great.

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
It wuz PR from the start, nuthin mo...
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
We never had a shot Choz??

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

There was no way Norm could control him anyway, it would of been a train wreck with all of the local outside influences, he would of declared for the draft at the end of the fall term.

Lance was not a need for this team. He is not 7-0 C with shot blocking ability & low post moves Nor is he a PG with the talents of Baron Davis. we have a lot of players on this team already who's favorite shot is an off balance jump shots  & they don't have have a terrible attitude to come with it.

PG-malik boothe
PF-Justin Burrell
C- Sean Evans

Our SG/SF are the strengths of our team, i am not sure how much of an upgrade he is just for one year.
another baghdad bob style spin.

that starting five lost more games than it won last year.  i guess you forgot.  it's a long way from sub .500 to being a player in the big east.

fire norm today...now.  don't wait.

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/01/johnnies-maryland-out-for-lance/

"St. John’s recently got a commitment from point guard Malik Stith, and head coach Norm Roberts is also waiting on several other players. By waiting on Stephenson, it could hinder his chances to land those players."

Yeah...there's plenty of other top 10 recruits ready to come here...no way Norm waits for Lance ::)

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

PG-malik boothe
PF-Justin Burrell
C- Sean Evans

another baghdad bob style spin.

that starting five lost more games than it won last year.  i guess you forgot.  it's a long way from sub .500 to being a player in the big east.

fire norm today...now.  don't wait.

I am not making no excuses, but Getting Omari Lawrence & Mase returning really takes the need out of a one year player with similar skills and plays the same position as our leading scorer from last year Horne.

I wanted Lance to show other NY star recruits it is ok to stay home, but honestly he is a minimal upgrade over what we have at the SG/SF spot next year.

Now if he was 5 star PF/C or PG from NY, I would cry and for proof I would make that Pic my avatar.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 10:28:08 PM »

I wanted Lance to show other NY star recruits it is ok to stay home, but honestly he is a minimal upgrade over what we have at the SG/SF spot next year.

dude, cmon man!

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
As Ronald Reagan said to Gorby: "TAKE DOWN THIS WALL"

please take down and remove the picture of Lance "No Show" Stephenson and put up a player on the team that deserves to grace this site!!!

Enough already about a kid that did not want to come here and move the crap on. Who the hell cares where he plays? if not here!

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Some y'all still dont understand.

They is no Lance Stephenson.

They is only BornReady Inc.

The brother has been a commodity since he was in 6th grade, packaged and bundled like them Wall Street carpet baggers do subprimes. They has been a business plan, a balance sheet and a marketing strategy from Day 1.

Back in the day, Steph had Darcy Frey, Tom K and Mike Quick followin him, Then Bassey got Ian O'Connor, SI, ESPN, BET and CBS followin him. BornReady Inc. has taken it all to the next level. Hell, the PR campaign has been the most intense and visible thing 'bout the commodity.

They was never no intention of St. John. BornReady Inc. is bigger than that. Always been. Always be. But they was the benefits of sayin the produvt was interested in St. John. They was always the story to tell, the hope to cling onto, the media hits to collect. But it was never real.

It's a commodity, yo.
All trace of humanity left the scene a long time ago.

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 11:45:30 AM »
Using your analogy, the corporation's chief product failed miserably. All of the elite programs don't want him. Despite the legendary NY hype machine, he has been outshined by a kid like John Wall. He got embarrassed at the USA tryouts and lost all around the country in his "showcase games," while demonstrating to the country that the NY ball hog is not an endangered species. "Born Ready" has a court case for inappropriately groping a girl and a child from another hs girl. The game of musical chairs is almost over and his remaining choices are very weak, given top 10-15 talent.